Portable Oxygen Systems

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Portable Oxygen Systems

Post by CFIDave »

Have used the Mountain High O2D2 system in my DA40, DA42-VI, and now DA62 -- with the pressure regulator to adapt it to the plane's built-in O2 outlets (same as PhotoSteveZ described above). I used with a portable tank when I had a DA40.

I've flown coast-coast across the US at 16,000 feet westbound and 17,000 feet eastbound using the system for 2 people. I now use MH's boom cannulas that attach to headsets, so you just swing these down into place as needed -- with no need to remove your headset to go on O2.

One of the most unappreciated features of the O2D2 is that it automatically adjusts the amount of O2 dispensed as you climb or descend -- no need to readjust the flow manually to maintain a target O2 saturation rate.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

smoss wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:25 pm Andrew, does the Inogen system create enough oxygen to suffice at higher altitudes, or does it max out at some level?
Steve, the Inogen system is FAA approved for single user upto 18,000ft MSL, and for the dual user up to 14,000ft MSL
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

CFIDave wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:53 pm Have used the Mountain High O2D2 system in my DA40, DA42-VI, and now DA62 -- with the pressure regulator to adapt it to the plane's built-in O2 outlets (same as PhotoSteveZ described above). I used with a portable tank when I had a DA40.

I've flown coast-coast across the US at 16,000 feet westbound and 17,000 feet eastbound using the system for 2 people. I now use MH's boom cannulas that attach to headsets, so you just swing these down into place as needed -- with no need to remove your headset to go on O2.

One of the most unappreciated features of the O2D2 is that it automatically adjusts the amount of O2 dispensed as you climb or descend -- no need to readjust the flow manually to maintain a target O2 saturation rate.
Re: Integrated O2 [Not Portable]

You've the right idea, but there seems no clean way to "integrate" or "embed" the O2D2 into the fabric of the DA62. I'm not a fan of loose O2 cables floating around the cockpit. Perhaps Velcro to the ceiling in the net-holder and bury an O2 cable down the B-Pillar to the Lemo jacks? [Like the Cirrus community do, albeit, they bury the cable and put the O2D2 in the centre console we don't have). I too have flown for years with the boom canula. I found it important to have the O2D2 audio pluged into the GMA aux so I could monitor passenger breathing, line faults etc. I used a flexible cable wrap to keep the o2/Bose cables combined as a single cable and secure that worked very well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOTO-Cable-Sna ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

VickersPilot wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:04 pmYou've the right idea, but there seems no clean way to "integrate" or "embed" the O2D2 into the fabric of the DA62. I'm not a fan of loose O2 cables floating around the cockpit.
Agreed about the lack of integration potential. But the cable/hose management issue isn't too bad if you only have 2 people onboard in the front row using a single O2D2 system, because you can temporarily stow the O2D2 unit behind the center console (in the 2nd row footwell) where it's out of the way.

The DA62 is quiet enough that (even wearing noise-cancelling headsets) I can hear the O2D2 alarms without having to connect an audio cable to a panel input jack. And the O2D2 lasts long enough on a set of batteries that I've never tried attaching an O2D2 power cable.

It may appear "unsightly" to have a supply hose and small pressure regulator hanging from one of the DA62's ceiling O2 outlets, but it doesn't seem to get in the way while flying. (For front seat occupants, you'd normally have TWO hoses connected to the ceiling if you were using standard cannulas without the O2D2). It's not like I'm getting out of my seat to move about the aircraft, and got tangled up in hoses and cables...
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Chris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:36 am We've used the Mountain High (without O2D2) for years, and it's a nice system. MarkA created a clever foam stand for the canister that fits behind the center console. The first stage regulator is solid and the quick-release connectors work well.

Everybody who uses the O2D2 seems to love them, and you can find a couple of technical write-ups on the web that show that it works as well as or better than the other pulse-demand systems.

I've been trying to purchase an O2D2 for the past 2+ months, but they are back-ordered. If you manage to snag one somewhere, let me know how. When I called them earlier today they gave me a two week horizon, but that's the same thing they told me two weeks ago.
I would try MH again Chris. I spoke to Eric Westeren about end of March for the O2D2 for back order. They called me earlier this week to actually take orders and mine was shipped this Friday with tracking.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

smoss wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:04 am My home field charges $45/fill.
This is ridiculous :(
cptndavid wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:45 pm I pay $15.00 to fill my tank.
Even this is too much but kind of acceptable.

I transfill oxygen myself - one big 50 litre tank at 3000 psi costs 25$ and you can get many refills until pressure drops e.g. to 1200 psi when it's not practical to use it without using booster pump.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Waltzed into Mountain High and picked up a system today. They tell me they're filling back-orders for the O2D2 but by being there I guess I jumped the line :D Free O2 fillup also :thumbsup:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the local intel, Rich! I was able to walk into the lobby today and pick up one for myself as well. :thumbsup:
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Home field advantage! 😀
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

chili4way wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 pm Home field advantage! 😀
Interesting situation. If I need something from MH, it's actually cheaper for me to drive the 60 miles round trip and pick it up than to have it shipped. In terms of current area auto fuel prices about $3.00. But since I'm often in Redmond for one reason or another and the hangar to which I would need to deliver such an item is along the way and exactly halfway between my home and KRDM it could be considered $0.00 :D
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5