Portable Oxygen Systems

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Portable Oxygen Systems

Post by Rich »

I used the system for the first time on a trip back and forth between Prineville and Puyallup a couple of weeks ago at 10K and 11K. It worked fine. Since I was using my Clarity Aloft headset I was using the standard canulla. You quickly forget it's even there, though if I listened I could hear the little puffing sound every couple seconds as it dosed me.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

We used ours extensively during a trip from Oregon to Illinois, Colorado, and Texas. Since I didn't have much experience with the built-in O2 system prior to the trip, it's hard to tell how much less O2 we were consuming, but I'm pretty sure it was better than a 50% savings since the needle hardly moved at all. My pulse ox was reading > 95% every time I checked... often 98%, which is better than I saw before with the annoying "mustache" cannulas. I'm very happy with the device, and if it means I only have to fill up the built-in system once a year it will have been well worth it.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The main downside of the O2D2 system is where to put the control unit in my DA40. So far this is the best I could come up with;
Headset Retractor and O2 controller.jpg
It does allow me to manipulate its controls in flight, but I can't monitor the LEDs.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I wedge to controller horizontally between the seats about 3" above the center console. I can reach the controls, though I can't see the LEDs. I don't find any reason to see the LEDs actually. I know how many clicks of the knob put it into which mode. If I'm not breathing sufficiently, the audible alert tells me.

I strap the tank into the right rear seat, held in by the seat belt. It has never moved in moderate to severe turbulence.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

This is a new revision of the unit and may have some differences in outer dimensions from the previous. The straps go through brackets molded into the case for this purpose. One strap does double duty in trying to tame the right-side headset cord. In any case I can operate it just fine in this position.

The tank is just sitting on the rear floor in its carrier with a single strap around the lowest part of the right seat holding it almost erect. It's completely stable leaning slightly off vertical.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Does anybody have specific experience with using a medically supplied O2 tank and valve with the Mountain High system?

I asked Blueskieswinds@6 via PM and never got a reply. I'm concerned about the difference between the "aviation" CGA 540 and "medical" CGA 870. I know there are reasonablly-priced adapters available.

I'm mostly looking for confirmation that medical always comes in CGA 870 without an option for CGA 540.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

On my last trip, I used half of the 2-part Mountain High provided seatback harness to secure my AL 415 (14.7 cu.ft.) tank to the right passenger seat. I installed the lower part "backward" so the tank is on the front of the back seat instead of the rear of a front seat. I also use the seatbelt. The red tank-to-controller hose easily connects to the electronic metering unit. I place the metering unit similar to the way Russ does (horizontally between the front seats), except I put the controls and connection facing forward and snake the red tube under the metering unit. I connect a dual 3.5mm male audio cable between the metering unit and my A20 headset to be sure I hear any alerts. I like being able to see the controls and the green/red lights even though I almost never have any reason to do so.

Prior to this trip, I just let the tank sit in the footwell. That was great because I could assemble and disassemble the system in flight, e.g. if I ended up needing to fly higher than originally planned. I could also clean it up on those long gradual instrument descents as workload allowed. However, it always bothered me a little to have this unsecured metal object hanging out in the back footwell. That's why I switched locations. I opted for the MH harness instead of just the seatbelt because nobody sits back there and I figured I might as well use the provided harness.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Does anyone know which spec the Aerox portable cylinders use - is it CGA 540? I have decided to do my own filling since the local FBO charges $50. Thanks.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Lou wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:09 pm Does anyone know which spec the Aerox portable cylinders use - is it CGA 540?
According to their website, it appears so:
Aerox wrote:Easy Refilling with any CGA540 port
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

If anyone is looking for an O2 solution, I cannot recommend the Inogen Aviator system highly enough. It is an oxygen concentrator, which supplies basically unlimited O2 from the atmosphere. This means NO REFILLS. It is a little pricey (around $2500 new I think), and you have to recharge a battery if your plane is not wired with a high-amp cigarette lighter (be sure to ONLY use the step down box with the Inogen, NOT the 14V adapter included with the basic system).

But man, it is such a relief to not have to even think about refilling O2 on the road. And the on-demand nature of the system means no dry nose! Worth noting that a single unit can either supply O2 to one person up to 18k, or 2 people up to 14k buddy breathing. But never having to refill makes up for all this, and more. I now use O2 on basically every long XC flight. Used to get fatigued thinking "not worth the hassle to refill." Now, it's unlimited, so why not use it?