Portable Oxygen Systems

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Portable Oxygen Systems

Post by Rich »

Related to the likely OR -> CO flyin this summer I figure I'll bite the bullet and get me a portable O2 system. I've gotten by without one all these decades but I've never been this damn old before. The logical choices are Mountain High and Aero-Ox. I figure to go with the MH, mostly because of the headset-mounted cannula option and the EDS gizmo. I was looking at the relative price between the MH and AO systems. There is a kind of a gap. But then I realized this was silly, as my investment portfolio alone is currently about 1000 times what the MH system would cost me. My only question is whether there are any operational downsides to the MH approach. Any first-hand gotchas I should be aware of for either system?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Portable Oxygen Systems

Post by Chris »

We've used the Mountain High (without O2D2) for years, and it's a nice system. MarkA created a clever foam stand for the canister that fits behind the center console. The first stage regulator is solid and the quick-release connectors work well.

Everybody who uses the O2D2 seems to love them, and you can find a couple of technical write-ups on the web that show that it works as well as or better than the other pulse-demand systems.

I've been trying to purchase an O2D2 for the past 2+ months, but they are back-ordered. If you manage to snag one somewhere, let me know how. When I called them earlier today they gave me a two week horizon, but that's the same thing they told me two weeks ago.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I plan to drive over there (just a few miles from me) and see what I can do. There is some constraint on what I can order online.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Besides considering the brand, think hard about how big a bottle to buy. My home field charges $45/fill, regardless of the bottle size, or how much it needs to be topped off. I really only use it now when I need it, always thinking about what a hassle it is for me to fill it, and pay $45 for $0.50 worth of O2. It does make me feel a ton more alert though in the 11,000+ MSL range. Once you start using it, you will get used to the brain feeling of a pulse ox < 90 or so. I am a healthy, fit, 51 year old, and I drop under a pOX of 90 around a density altitude of 11,000. I don't get short of breath or anything, just a bit fuzzy headed, like being under-slept. Pop on the O2, and 2 minutes later I feel great! I've got the Aerox size C bottle, which I bought for its short stature for the size. If I got another one, I'd probably opt for the next size up, for considerable more volume at not much more weight, and the same cost to fill anywhere. The Aerox has worked great for me for the past 3 years. My friend has the MH system, which also works well, but don't think it's worth the extra cost.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I'm planning on a D size bottle. The last time I checked I had 92% at 11,000 ft. I live at 3,600 ft. (and get 98-99% here) but I figure on not relying on what I could do even 2 years ago. I'm also figuring on 2 consumers - myself and mia sposa.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Rich wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:17 am I'm planning on a D size bottle. The last time I checked I had 92% at 11,000 ft. I live at 3,600 ft. (and get 98-99% here) but I figure on not relying on what I could do even 2 years ago. I'm also figuring on 2 consumers - myself and mia sposa.
I LOVE our Aerox system. I have an M bottle with a convenient bag that can hang behind the passenger headrest https://www.aerox.com/aerox-deluxe-seat ... e-systems/. The Oxy Saver cannulas are wonderful, draw about 25% of a normal cannula. My son and I flew to a bunch of National Parks out west last summer and we only had to fill it once. Spectacular product.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

I bought the Inogen system as I did not want the hassle of getting refills... just plug it in and re-charge. I did not want to feel constrained in when to use o2 with a tank system because of the refill hassle/inconvenience. I did a series of very long XC's a week or so ago and had it on all the time above 6,000 feet and I have to say I was much less tired than I have been in the past doing similar long flights.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Andrew, does the Inogen system create enough oxygen to suffice at higher altitudes, or does it max out at some level?
Steve
DA40 XL
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I’ve used Mountain High pulse demand regulators in both gliders and airplanes, with both portable bottles and built-in systems. I already owned an O2D2 and a boom cannula for my headset when I bought a used DA62 with the Aerox built-in system, but the Aerox uses a higher pressure at the outlets than the MH can handle so I got a Mountain High step-down regulator in order to use the O2D2.

Works for me, and I’ve seen the bottle pressure drop only a few hundred psi in over 80 hours logged, mostly on oxygen in the mid-teens (I live in Colorado), and with up to four people using oxygen (I had a bunch of MH cannulas on hand and disliked the single Aerox cannula that came with my used airplane, so I bought a second O2D2 for the back seats, as well).
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

A trip to your local welding supply shop is the way to get your tanks refilled. Inexpensive and the o2 is the same as you get at the airport for one third the price. I pay $15.00 to fill my tank.