Cockpit Organization & Kneeboards

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Cockpit Organization & Kneeboards

Post by dmloftus »

dmloftus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:46 am
waynemcc999 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 pm David, just to suggest a different angle to things, how 'bout "kicking the kneeboard"?...
I'm very similar to Wayne. I haven't used paper for years. I listen, set, & readback. And use FF scratchpad for ATIS, IFR, etc. Also when coming from a six-pack and basic GPS to a G1000, I spent the time to thoroughly read the G1000 flight manual a couple of times and I find I need to refer to my iPad a lot less. I've ditched the kneeboard and I just rest my iPad between my left thigh and the left wall of the cabin. I couldn't do that in a C172 but the DA40 seat contours are great to rest it. I have another iPad mini that I've tried a RAM suction mount on the left side of the canopy like Wayne's, but it's a bit close for my presbyopic eyesight and I just don't like the constant obstruction. When I do reference the iPad, it rests easily on my left thigh (I'm left-handed so writing works that way), the open flap from the case tends to stabilize it. When I'm done, I just shove it to the left against the cabin wall. My iPad Air case has an integrated compartment for an iPad pencil in case I need to jot down an inflight clearance, destination ATIS, etc.

Like Rich, I keep my iPhone at the ready for a backup. I like to hang it from the seatbelt in an Otter belt clip holster. That way I always know where to reach for it in a pinch, and I can control Bluetooth music streamed to my Bose A20's. It also makes it convenient to run a charger cord from my in-dash USB ports.

BTW, I hang my Pulse Ox from the center stick and, similar to Russ, I keep air sick bags, snacks, and extra batteries in a fanny pack belted to the back of the passenger headrest. The fanny pack is a larger size with multiple zippered compartments and easily removable in case I forget which compartment I hid something ;-) Everything is within easy reach. I also keep a Sporty's backup radio in the passenger seatback pouch just for an emergency.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Great feedback, thank you to all who have replied. In particular Wayne..may I compliment you on your very nice video. I'm usually 110% of what is acceptable technology wise in the aircraft and have been paperless for a decade except the notepad. I'll get a stylus pen for the iPad and give it a go but I'm not sure I'll succeed!

I'm also a big believer in continuous fluids whilst flying...having mastered the art of the TJ in the Cirrus, I hope I can up my skills to do it with a centre stick! That way, freshly brewed 24v coffee is game...

https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpress ... ule-8.html

Everyone needs one, right?
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

After many years of trying different configurations in my DA40, I've settled on an Ipad Air on my right leg powered by a USB port under the seat and held with these clips from Sporty's --https://www.sportys.com/myclip-multi-ta ... board.html I use a rolled up sock underneath to tilt it up slightly. It stays relatively cool in this spot, especially under my JetShades, is easy to write on, and easy to manipulate with my right hand. The biggest downside is looking down during approaches, but since I use the AP most of the time that hasn't been as big an issue. This location also keeps the panel in full view and avoids my yanking the power cord out every time I forgot and opened the canopy with the IPad and power cord attached. Like others, I also found the Ipad on the canopy to be too close to my eyes and hard to manipuIate with my right hand. As an alternative, I really tried to make the Mini work mounted on the panel but it was always in the way of some instrument and was simply too small.

With regard to the rest of the cockpit, I store my emergency stuff (portable radio, extra batteries, etc.) in a small hard pouch I velcroed to the forward bulkhead under the pilot seat. The mandatorily-accessible POH I keep in the same position on the co-pilot side. My Lightspeed ANR controllers are mounted behind the Hobbs meter on the center console with these holders -- https://www.sportys.com/anr-control-holder.html I use shower hooks hung from the grab bar in the ceiling to hang the headsets. Finally, I hang my oxygen bottle on the back of the co-pilot's seat and run the oxygen line up to the grab bar in the ceiling and then down to me.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm ... avoids my yanking the power cord out every time I forgot and opened the canopy with the IPad and power cord attached.
For those who mount to the canopy:
Use a 2m power cord. Route it under the panel, up through the opening in the instrument panel cover where the canopy arm passes through, then along the canopy frame to your tablet. The power cord then simply rotates with the canopy and the tablet and does not pull out.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

Rich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 pm For a kneeboard I use a zuluworks mini-z. It's unclear if the product is still available. A place to start:
It's not. I was desperately looking for one about 4 years ago. All "out of stock". I eventually contacted the Zuluworks directly. They told me the iPad limited there market too much to continue producing it.

In the mini kneeboard (smaller footprint as you know), the best choice is from LIFT Aviation. I picked one up at SnF two years ago.
https://liftaviationusa.com/collections/knee-boards
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

waynemcc999 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 pm David, just to suggest a different angle to things, how 'bout "kicking the kneeboard"?...
Wayne knows this - I "kicked the kneeboard" in favor of the tablet long before EFBs added a scratchpad. I absolutely love my handwriting app. Even used it professionally.

But..

After a few years, I decided that, for me, pen and pad were far superior to the tablet in the cockpit for copying clearances and jotting quick notes. I think my brain-hand-feel connection just works better that way.

That's not advice not to do it. Just that we can be media neutral and use whatever works best for us.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

Rich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 pm

A "long" leg is 3, maybe 4 hours. What I do on landing if I'm going on is de-water myself and then drink a modest amount of water in preparation for the next leg. Fortunately my ancient prostate is not yet interfering in my approach :D
If you watch him, Steveo's solutuin is "coffee time," one hour to the destination, so he's ready when bladder is ready :D
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

If you want to use a kneeboard you can easily put one together even smaller than a mini-z. Start with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Clipco-Clipboard ... 1448&psc=1

The pads are easily found at Staples and such. And use a pen tethered to the clip:

https://www.amazon.com/Counter-Corded-W ... cts&sr=1-2
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I disposed of the last bits of paper from the cockpit - The time log I've been using and VOR check records are now spreadsheets on my iPad:
Time Log.jpeg
VOR Check.jpeg
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

Rich , Where do I find the spreadsheet for the iPad?
David