Cockpit Organization & Kneeboards

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Cockpit Organization & Kneeboards

Post by VickersPilot »

Hi -

Being new to a stick between the legs (er!), I need to re-think cockpit organization. Any specific products you find work really well in the Diamond stick scenario for kneeboards, iPhones etc?

Thanks!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Cockpit Organization & Kneeboards

Post by Rich »

For a kneeboard I use a zuluworks mini-z. It's unclear if the product is still available. A place to start:

https://www.tagpilotsupply.com/zulu-sta ... board.aspx

My iPhone is just laid on the left side of the seat beside me. It plugs into the AUX port of my headset adapter, which also sits in that location. It's mostly just used for getting clearances but it's also an emergency backup to my iPad.

The DA40 is really cramped for space - more so than the 62, and it's been a challenge to figure out the most useful way to stash spare batteries and the like. Even routing headset cords is annoying. I've gone to a Lightspeed Tango to mitigate the latter.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

David, just to suggest a different angle to things, how 'bout "kicking the kneeboard"?...
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

waynemcc999 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 pm David, just to suggest a different angle to things, how 'bout "kicking the kneeboard"?...
I was going to mention this, also. If you have the iPad/FF mounted appropriately, you can use the scratch pad(s). I've taken to using the keyboard to enter stuff on it, as hand-writing can be challenging.

Another trick: for in-flight reroutes, you can write directly on the chart.

I've just gone a bit further. For years I have been keeping a paper version of a time log in the plane for each flight + some additional info. It was done with printouts from an Excel spreadsheet. Yesterday I was rearranging my approach to putting a flight bag in front of my seat and found I wanted to eliminate this paper. So I worked over the spreadsheet and imported it into the iPad for use by "Office 700 PRO". It is now used directly as a spreadsheet with entry via keyboard. This only works because I'm the only one using my plane. Next I'll do the same for CDI check recording.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

I recently purchased from Amazon a “Drive Auto Car Trash Can”. As its name implies it’s just a flexible car tote for trash. I hang it behind the passenger’s headrest so I can quickly reach back for a water bottle, GoPro, batteries. It is like having a handy glove compartment. My wife likes it so much, she wants to hang one behind my seat so she can store some of her more likely needed in flight items.

https://www.amazon.com/Garbage-Drive-Au ... GXVCXPV698

I still use a knee board ... actually two when I am flying IFR. While I use ForeFlight for my approach plates, I have paper ones on one knee board and the other knee board has my checklists. I have also incorporated some of Wayne’s suggestions even on my six pack instruments.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I use an iPad Mini for a kneeboard (MyClip strap solved overheating) the Apple pencil with ForeFlight, Miracheck and GoodNotes, but most will be happy with just FF.

I put my phone on the seat beside me. I have an iPad Pro 11" and collapsable water bottle in the cockpit pocket to my left. I use an Apple Watch Series 6 as an oxymeter which has calibrated well to a Masimo MightySat oxymeter.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I actively discourage folks drinking liquids while aloft and refrain from consumption of anything myself. I don't want another rest-room stop mutiny on my hands :D
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 pm I actively discourage folks drinking liquids while aloft and refrain from consumption of anything myself. I don't want another rest-room stop mutiny on my hands :D
That can be an issue, but especially at altitude, insensible loss can sneak up on you. You don't want to get dehydrated on a long flight...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 pm
Rich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 pm I actively discourage folks drinking liquids while aloft and refrain from consumption of anything myself. I don't want another rest-room stop mutiny on my hands :D
That can be an issue, but especially at altitude, insensible loss can sneak up on you. You don't want to get dehydrated on a long flight...
A "long" leg is 3, maybe 4 hours. What I do on landing if I'm going on is de-water myself and then drink a modest amount of water in preparation for the next leg. Fortunately my ancient prostate is not yet interfering in my approach :D
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

waynemcc999 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 pm David, just to suggest a different angle to things, how 'bout "kicking the kneeboard"?...
I'm very similar to Wayne. I haven't used paper for years. I listen, set, & readback. And use FF scratchpad for ATIS, IFR, etc. Also when coming from a six-pack and basic GPS to a G1000, I spent the time to thoroughly read the G1000 flight manual a couple of times and I find I need to refer to my iPad a lot less. I've ditched the kneeboard and I just rest my iPad between my left thigh and the left wall of the cabin. I couldn't do that in a C172 but the DA40 seat contours are great to rest it. I have another iPad mini that I've tried a RAM suction mount on the left side of the canopy like Wayne's, but it's a bit close for my prysbiopic eyesight and I just don't like the constant obstruction. When I do reference the iPad, it rests easily on my left thigh (I'm left-handed so writing works that way), the open flap from the case tends to stabilize it. When I'm done, I just shove it to the left against the cabin wall. My iPad Air case has an integrated compartment for an iPad pencil in case I need to jot down an inflight clearance, destination ATIS, etc.

Like Rich, I keep my iPhone at the ready for a backup. I like to hang it from the seatbelt in an Otter belt clip holster. That way I always know where to reach for it in a pinch, and I can control Bluetooth music streamed to my Bose A20's. It also makes it convenient to run a charger cord from my in-dash USB ports.

BTW, I hang my Pulse Ox from the center stick and, similar to Russ, I keep air sick bags, snacks, and extra batteries in a fanny pack belted to the back of the passenger headrest. The fanny pack is a larger size with multiple zippered compartments and easily removable in case I forget which compartment I hid something ;-) Everything is within easy reach. I also keep a Sporty's backup radio in the passenger seatback pouch just for an emergency.