Luxury tax on new aircraft in Canada

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Luxury tax on new aircraft in Canada

Post by Lou »

We wisely avoid politics on this site, but this item is worth noting. The Canadian federal government has announced it will introduce a new tax of 20% :shock: on new aircraft and cars for the portion above CAD$100k (USD $79k) For boats it’s 250k. The effective date is Jan 1, 2022. The details are buried at page 600 and something of an 800 page document.

I would think this would just about finish off the new personal aircraft market in Canada, although you never know, sometimes creative solutions emerge very quickly. Short term renewable leases come to mind.

The tax will not apply to exports they say, so Diamond Canada can still sell my US friends the fine product you have come to expect without any obstacles. It’s just people who actually live here who are the problem.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Luxury tax on new aircraft in Canada

Post by Steve »

Is that in addition to sales tax? I thought I had it bad when I had to pay 8% sales tax in TX on the $199K purchase price of my airplane...
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

I recall when they added the Federal 10% luxury tax here in the USA in 1991. It actually backfired and the government ended losing more revenue than prior to the tax. It was repealed a few years later.
https://www.americanexperiment.org/cong ... -behavior/
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Typically large tax increases backfire as they reduce to the TOTAL revenue to the government. Check out the Laffer curve - Art Laffer.

The Laffer Curve is a theory developed by supply-side economist Arthur Laffer to show the relationship between tax rates and the amount of tax revenue collected by governments. The curve is used to illustrate Laffer's argument that sometimes cutting tax rates can increase total tax revenue.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated