ForeFlight / NXi bug with SID

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

ForeFlight / NXi bug with SID

Post by Boatguy »

Yesterday I was departing KTRM IFR. I received my expected clearance and it it included the MECCA1 SID. When I attempted to transfer it to the panel (G1000 NXi) I received a dialog box saying that the panel needed to know which runway I would be using for the departure. However, when I selected the runway (35), it just displayed the dialog box again. Over and over.

It was stuck in a loop, no way out. I had to kill FF, remove the SID from the route, transfer to the panel and then load the SID directly on the panel.

FF's first response was that my Flight Stream 510 needed a firmware update from 2.51 to 2.61, but I think they confused Garmin GTN XI (support for which was added in 2.6), with G1000 NXi. They have not yet responded.

My plane is in the shop, but when it comes out I'm going to test this and see if specifying the runway in FF before the transfer will solve the problem.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Re: ForeFlight / NXi bug with SID

Post by Boatguy »

Second reply from FF:

Thank you for the correction. We have a fix coming soon for this repetitive prompting. This happens when you have a SID or STAR that requires a runway choice and no runway was sent to the Garmin panel and was sent from Flights in ForeFlight.

The work-around is to send the route to Maps first, then send to panel.
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

I saw another good article from ifr-magazine yesterday on a somewhat related subject. What happens when a fix is removed from a database. What happens when a pilot or his software inserts it and tries to send it to the panel or file a flight plan with that fix?

https://www.ifr-magazine.com/system/check-your-data/
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Foreflight fixed the looping bug very quickly, but the route would still not transfer to the panel. After an hour on the phone with Foreflight while I sat in the cockpit, it turns out that the bug is slightly more complicated and the work around a little different.

After you file your route with ATC, they send back an "Expected" route. FF shows your "filed" and "expected" and a button to "Use" one or the other. If you use the expected route, and it contains a SID, the route will not transfer from FF to the NXi panel (don't know about G1000) via the FS510 (don't know about FS210). There is no indication of the failed transfer in either FF or on the panel. You just see that it didn't transfer.

The work around is to delete the SID from the route, transfer to the panel, and then insert the SID at the panel.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

I narrowed down this bug and found a workaround fix. The bug only occurs if an airway follows the SID and the airway entry is the same as the SID terminus. The work around is to insert the entry to the airway into the route. In my original example it becomes:

KTRM 35O.MECCA1.PSP PSP V386 PMD