G1000 Legacy & NXI Software Upgrades Announcement

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

spr
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N388LA
Airports: KSAV

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXI Software Upgrades Announcement

Post by spr »

Thanks for the update Paul. I do not understand why there is a delay on this rollout. I just had my DA40NG (NXI level II) in for the annual. I asked to have the 3D audio activated. I was told that although they were able to do this, because they were an authorized Diamond service center, they were not allowed to.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

salim wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 am Thank you chili4way for the update !

Any idea whether GDU 15 will enable the radar overlay for those who are GWX68 equipped ?
Not sure, but I don't think so. I believe that requires NXi.
(My 2013 DA42-VI had GDU 15, but no radar in the nose.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Stephen, the reason the Diamond (or Garmin) service centers cannot enable 3D Audio is because our NXI airplanes were not certified with this feature enabled in the configuration. The functionality is there in the GMA1360, it's just not enabled as a manufacturer configuration option.

We unsuccessfully tried to get Diamond/Garmin to provide a 'fast fix' interim release, specifically to address 3D Audio. Diamond only wants to go through what we understand to be a particularly challenging and time-consuming TCCA (Transport Canada) certification process once. This is why they are clubbing everything into a more comprehensive Phase III NXI release.

I've come to an informal understanding that there appear to be five layers that control what functionality our G1000 avionics provide. This is conceptual, and so probably isn't exactly how it works.
  1. Garmin software programming functionality ("modules") - what features are available anywhere
  2. Manufacturer module options ("module selection") - which LRUs/features a manufacturer includes for a specific airplane model, e.g. GMA1360 for the DA40NG Phase II avionics suite.
  3. Manufacturer configuration options ("feature selection") - which features are enabled for certification, e.g. 3D Audio (I perceive subsets of full functionality might be chosen to reduce the scope of certification and improve schedules, e.g. for the introduction of the NXI Phase II avionics package as the GIA63Ws used in NXI Phase I were running out.)
  4. Installer configuration options ("airframe + LRU selection") - matching features to a specific airplane
  5. Pilot configuration ("Aux page selections") - selecting options based on personal preference
What installers and pilots can do is regulatory limited by what has been certified by the first three items.

Some pilots have found technical solutions (hacks) for some "Level 3" items (like 3D Audio) that go outside these regulatory restrictions (but have done so at their risk).
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

chili4way wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:05 pm
ZAV wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:21 pm Are the G1000 software upgrades listed for all the DA40 installs?
The Legacy upgrades are principally focused on the large fleet of Lycoming-powered DA40s with WAAS. That leaves out the DA40-TDI (aka DA40D) and DA40-180s that do not have WAAS.

The NXI "Phase III" upgrades apply to DA40s and DA40NGs that have the NXI Phase II hardware factory-installed or have participated in the NXI Phase 1 to Phase 2 upgrade program.
As mentioned several times in different threads, there is a number of DA40D with WAAS in Europe. How will these planes get an update to GDU version 15?
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

reinhardj wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:15 pm As mentioned several times in different threads, there is a number of DA40D with WAAS in Europe. How will these planes get an update to GDU version 15?
Unfortunately, DA40D's won't get this upgrade -- at least within the scope of the current program.

One limitation is that the Type Certificate for the DA40 is held by Diamond Canada, so the initial certifying authority is TCCA. The DA40D was never introduced into North America, so as a practical matter, there are no planes available to use in certifying the upgrades. The relatively small number of DA40Ds (compared to the Lycoming legacy fleet) is likely also a factor.

No doubt this is unfortunate and frustrating to DA40D owners (and DA42-180 owners who are similarly affected).

Perhaps there is a possibility of a third-party STC solution for Europe.
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

I would not say, that >340 DA40D is a small number and there should be nearly no difference to the DA42 TDI. Furthermore the early GDU software was identical for DA40D and DA42 TDI. So it should be easy to derive a DA40D version from the DA42 TDI version.
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

reinhardj wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:53 pm I would not say, that >340 DA40D is a small number and there should be nearly no difference to the DA42 TDI. Furthermore the early GDU software was identical for DA40D and DA42 TDI. So it should be easy to derive a DA40D version from the DA42 TDI version.
I think you're right in all statements above but, as Paul wrote, I don't think Diamond Canada has resources for certifying this. I believe that Diamond Austria is the right place to send this question. From the very beginning we've been trying to have them on our meetings but somehow they were not present very often.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

The current DA40 Legacy load is 0321.23, which I understand corresponds to Garmin GDU v12.05 (which Garmin originally released in 2013). So I'm guessing Garmin GDU v15.xx will correspond to a Diamond Legacy load of 0321.24? Does anyone have a list of the feature additions for this upgrade (or link to another thread with the list)? Thanks!

UPDATE: NVM - I found CFIDave's list at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7316
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Truly great work from those on DAN working with Diamond and Garmin - much appreciated - so glad I went through this particularly tough G1000 WAAS upgrade because some of the v15 features are really cool!

Hope to have my plane back soon!!!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Chris wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:17 pm...Slight clarification: ESP functions whether or not the AP is on, but it can be disabled before flight via the AUX page. USP only kicks in if the AP is on...
Just to be super picky, you are correct that USP is only available with the autopilot engaged, but ESP is only available with it disengaged. From the Garmin G1000 Pilots Guide (DA62):
The ESP system only operates when the Garmin AFCS autopilot is not engaged and the aircraft is above 200 feet AGL.