G1000 Legacy & NXI Software Upgrades Announcement

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

G1000 Legacy & NXI Software Upgrades Announcement

Post by chili4way »

Diamond Aircraft is sharing with DAN their path forward for 2021 software upgrade certification projects.

Attached is a letter from Diamond announcing their plans for software upgrades for WAAS-equipped Legacy G1000 Diamond Aircraft and Phase II-equipped G1000 NXI Diamond Aircraft.

CFIDave's "G1000 Evolution for Diamond Owners" may be a helpful reference when reviewing the list of feature improvements and how they will apply to your airplane and its present GDU software version.

Diamond Software Upgrades Announcement-17Feb21.pdf
(464.3 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXI Software Upgrades Announcement

Post by VickersPilot »

Thank you Chili4way.

Any idea how the LVL function is planned to work without the LRU change to provide the LVL button? Or perhaps this is auto-level if not responding to ESP interventions?

The attachment is of course great news to see Diamond investing in software improvements. Good work all.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Our current understanding is that without the "blue button" added to the instrument panel (probably by drilling a hole), the NXi Phase 3 software will not include new the Level functionality.

In other words, if you already have the Phase 2 hardware installed, you'll be able to upgrade to NXi Phase 3 software without the blue Level button being added. You'll get all the other new Phase 3 functions like Visual Approaches, but you'll just be missing the Level function.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

CFIDave wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:58 pm Our current understanding is that without the "blue button" added to the instrument panel (probably by drilling a hole), the NXi Phase 3 software will not include new the Level functionality.

In other words, if you already have the Phase 2 hardware installed, you'll be able to upgrade to NXi Phase 3 software without the blue Level button being added. You'll get all the other new Phase 3 functions like Visual Approaches, but you'll just be missing the Level function.

Could a soft key be labelled LEVEL?

In a Cirrus, if the LVL button pushed while doing unusual attitudes the response was fairly sedate. It leveled the plane a bit more slowly and gently than what you might do if you found yourself knife edge and nose low.

It was regularly useful as a trimming shortcut when hand flying. Instead of flicking the electronic trim switch back and forth trying to get it just right, a quick tap on the LVL button; instantly trimmed for level flight.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Soareyes wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:38 pm Could a soft key be labelled LEVEL?
We requested a 'softkey' option for the LEVEL function that would not require the panel modification & button installation. After consulting with Garmin, Diamond explained this would be problematic for certification -- compared to the dedicated LEVEL switch as implemented by Cirrus and other manufacturers.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Soareyes wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:38 pmIn a Cirrus, if the LVL button pushed while doing unusual attitudes the response was fairly sedate. It leveled the plane a bit more slowly and gently than what you might do if you found yourself knife edge and nose low.

It was regularly useful as a trimming shortcut when hand flying. Instead of flicking the electronic trim switch back and forth trying to get it just right, a quick tap on the LVL button; instantly trimmed for level flight.
I want to make sure I understand this. You're saying tapping the LVL button did not engage the AP, it just tweaked the aileron and pitch trim servos?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 pm I want to make sure I understand this. You're saying tapping the LVL button did not engage the AP, it just tweaked the aileron and pitch trim servos?
The LVL button engages the autopilot, at least according to this Cirrus-based demonstration. This makes sense since on the Cirrus the button is located on the "Autopilot Control Panel". The 2-minute demo begins at 2:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H75X7o5tq70

The LVL AP LVL showing on the autopilot status bar seems to behave similarly (and may not be exactly the same) as ROL mode with a roll setting of 0 and PIT mode with a pitch setting of 0. It is no longer navigating or seeking to hold a specific altitude or climb.

I probably would not use it as Soareyhes described above, but I can see how (outside of an unusual attitude situation) it would provide a fast trim "feature". You'd have to disconnect the autopilot to continue hand flying.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

chili4way wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:51 am
Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 pm I want to make sure I understand this. You're saying tapping the LVL button did not engage the AP, it just tweaked the aileron and pitch trim servos?
(outside of an unusual attitude situation) it would provide a fast trim "feature". You'd have to disconnect the autopilot to continue hand flying.

Exactly, it does engage the autopilot but then a tap on the red button would return the controls to you with the airplane nicely trimmed.

The Cirrus has only an electronic trim and when hand flying it was a minor annoyance to try to get the trim just right. It has been good to have a trim wheel again in the DA42.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

Thanks for the update, Paul. Does the LVL function imply that ESP and Underspeed protection would be included? Those would be nice to have. Also agree with Dan that having the trim wheel in my DA40 NG is much preferable to the Cirrus system. I spent three days doing Cirrus transition training before deciding on the Diamond and don't think I ever figured out how to hand trim the SR22.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Scott, perhaps you mean Low Speed Protection (LSP). ESP & USP are already part of the Diamond GFC AP - sort of joined at the hip and function ONLY when the AP=ON. LSP works when AP=OFF (like on the Cirrus) and annunciates followed by nudging the nose down if speed gets too low. I believe it *may* need an AoA feed. Perhaps Paul knows if LSP is now included?

Sorry, I'll add a note to the above, ESP & USP are only available on GFC700 installs with the later GSM86 servo gearbox. Perhaps check your W&B schedule to see which servo gearboxes you have.