G1000 NXi Fundamentals eLearning Course

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

G1000 NXi Fundamentals eLearning Course

Post by NDCDA62 »

Garmin has just launched two new eLearning Courses for the Garmin G1000 NXi - 1. The G1000 NXi Fundamentals eLearning Course and 2. The G1000 NXi Essentials eLearning Course

1. The G1000 NXi Fundamentals eLearning Course

The G1000 NXi Fundamentals eLearning course is designed for those new to Garmin avionics, new or transitioning to advanced avionics, and those looking for a quick refresher on the G1000 NXi. The course is focused on systems as installed in piston engine equipped aircraft and provides comprehensive training for this advanced system. Individual features are described in detail and best practices are provided for operational use. A scenario is used to demonstrate how system features are used in different phases of flight, giving you a chance to see the system in action. Guidance for an additional self-conducted scenario is provided for use with Garmin’s G1000 NXi PC Trainer software, (purchased separately - for your specific or similar aircraft Note: Not Diamond Aircraft) to allow you to practice what you learned during the course.

I have just completed the course and must say this is exactly what we have been waiting for. Very well presented in a clear format and I am in no doubt that everyone can learn from the tips given. It is not only a great refresher course for those already experienced with Garmin, but worth every cent of the $94.95 charged.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/AV ... 1#overview

2. The G1000 NXi Essentials eLearning Course

Whilst not applicable for Diamond aircraft pilots, the G1000 NXi Essentials eLearning course is focused on systems installed in high-performance piston and turbine engine equipped aircraft. This course provides comprehensive training and presents best operational practices for new and experienced pilots desiring to get the most out of the G1000 NXi system. Individual features are described in detail and presented in the context of how they can be used effectively in flight. A phase of flight scenario is used to demonstrate typical high-performance piston and turbine-engine aircraft operations, giving you a chance to see the system in action. Guidance for additional self-conducted scenarios is provided for use with Garmin’s G1000 NXi PC Trainer software (purchased separately - for your specific or similar aircraft Note: Not Diamond Aircraft), to allow you to practice what you learned during the course. The cost for this course is $145.95

Well done Garmin !

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/AV ... 1#overview
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: G1000 NXi Fundamentals eLearning Course

Post by Boatguy »

GAMA reports that in 2019 Diamond sold these aircraft with NXi panels:
DA40: 126
DA42: 77
DA62: 30

Other sales:
Daher Kodiak 100: 20
Piper PA-46 350: 21
Piper PA-46-500: 20
Piper Seminole: 40

Beechcraft King Air: 93
Beechcraft Baron: 15

There is an NXi PC trainer for all those aircraft, but not for any model of Diamond. It would appear that the NXi PC trainer versions must be subsidized by the manufacturers and Diamond, as expected, isn't interested in what happens after delivery.
da50speed
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Logan
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NDA50
Airports:

Post by da50speed »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 pm It would appear that the NXi PC trainer versions must be subsidized by the manufacturers and Diamond, as expected, isn't interested in what happens after delivery.
That's sad to hear! What makes you say that? I ask as a potential very near-term new Diamond customer.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

The NXi trainer is available for aircraft with far fewer sales; that was the premise of my post from which I inferred that the trainer must be subsidized by the OEM.

In general, Diamond's post sale avionics support has been somewhere between non-existent and very weak. A DA40NG NXi phase II delivered in 2019 has had no avionics software updates since delivery. Our NXi software is about 4yrs behind the features in a Cirrus Perspective+ system, which is the same NXi hardware. Garmin has issued service bulletins and software fixes for known problems such as the traffic display which I consider a safety of flight issue (i.e., planes nearby, broadcasting on ADS-B, will not be displayed in high traffic areas) but Diamond has not distributed any updates. Avionics shops can only install updates issued by Diamond. Diamond is making an effort, but the results lag considerably.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I wrote up a PIREP on the Garmin NXI PC Trainer elsewhere on DAN.

It's frustrating that Diamond and Garmin don't have an official Diamond version of the trainer. Fortunately, the Piper Archer version is close enough for all practical purposes. I've been able to recreate and better understand in-flight system behavior using that system. It's great for system learning and "buttonology" when flying using the GFC700 autopilot. I've used it to pre-fly approaches to a new airport. Don't expect to use it in a meaningful fashion with external controls.

Thanks for the PIREP on the new Garmin training.
FPKONE
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: KFUL

Re: Considering New DA40 "NG"

Post by FPKONE »

Boatguy wrote:In general, Diamond's post sale avionics support has been somewhere between non-existent and very weak. A DA40NG NXi phase II delivered in 2019 has had no avionics software updates since delivery. Our NXi software is about 4yrs behind the features in a Cirrus Perspective+ system, which is the same NXi hardware. Garmin has issued service bulletins and software fixes for known problems such as the traffic display which I consider a safety of flight issue (i.e., planes nearby, broadcasting on ADS-B, will not be displayed in high traffic areas) but Diamond has not distributed any updates. Avionics shops can only install updates issued by Diamond. Diamond is making an effort, but the results lag considerably.
I am so glad to read this BEFORE I placed my order. I will speak to my sales rep and if this is still case I'm not buying a Diamond.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Considering New DA40

Post by chili4way »

FPKONE wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:52 am I am so glad to read this BEFORE I placed my order. I will speak to my sales rep and if this is still case I'm not buying a Diamond.

What did your sales rep have to say?
What are you going to buy instead?
FPKONE
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Re: Considering New DA40

Post by FPKONE »

chili4way wrote:
FPKONE wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:52 am I am so glad to read this BEFORE I placed my order. I will speak to my sales rep and if this is still case I'm not buying a Diamond.

What did your sales rep have to say?
What are you going to buy instead?
He is looking into it. Researching Tecnam P2010 TDI...

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Diamond leads in many areas, but avionics is not one of them. Fortunately, there is more to an airplane than avionics. I would not trade my DA 40NG for a C182 or SR20 with the latest updates. But that doesn’t stop me from wishing Diamond did a better job of keeping my avionics current.
FPKONE
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by FPKONE »

Boatguy wrote:Diamond leads in many areas, but avionics is not one of them. Fortunately, there is more to an airplane than avionics. I would not trade my DA 40NG for a C182 or SR20 with the latest updates. But that doesn’t stop me from wishing Diamond did a better job of keeping my avionics current.
Good to know. Honestly, one big reason to buy a Diamond is the DAN. The membership knowledge and experience I've read here is invaluable to a Diamond owner and weighs heavily in favor of purchasing a Diamond.