NXi and airways

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: NXi and airways

Post by Rich »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm
waynemcc999 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:12 pm The images below of Collapse-Airways are from X-Plane 11, but are the same as on my DA40 G1000 (non-NXi).
Wayne
Well that shows what a poor emulation of the G1000 is provided by the Redbird TD. More on that in another thread when I get time.
As a former part-owner of a Redbird FMX I once sat in it and made a list of deficiencies in emulation of avionics and aircraft behavior that I identified. It was a long list. Not being familiar with the G1000 I didn't include it. The GNS deficiencies were enough.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The official reply from Garmin:

I have heard back from the project manager for your NXi platform. They confirmed this is as designed with the way that Diamond certified the software. The integrated flight decks (G1000, G3000, G5000) are made by Garmin, but the OEMs can adjust options/features as desired. And Diamond confirms that this was how they certified the software for the unit. The simulator is showing you the way that a number of the other NXi platforms allow the victor airways to be expanded.

But I can say that Diamond is very receptive to Pilot feedback. I recommend speaking with their Piston representative and discussing how you would like the Diamond NXi to have a more common Airway expansion options.

Can anyone else with NXi and/or with NXi Phase confirm that they are unable to expand airways?

Thanks, Russ
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Always thought the way G1000s were installed on airframes through OEMs was clunky. Hope Diamond can revise it quickly.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

:D :D :D “receptive for pilot feedback” Diamond? This guy must be on something :D
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

MackAttack wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:10 pm Collapsing and expanding airways is available on the G3000 (and presumably, the 750s and 650s). Works great and I have done just what you tried to do on the G3000 several times. Have not tried this specific airway or fix however.
It is.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm The official reply from Garmin:

I have heard back from the project manager for your NXi platform. They confirmed this is as designed with the way that Diamond certified the software. The integrated flight decks (G1000, G3000, G5000) are made by Garmin, but the OEMs can adjust options/features as desired. And Diamond confirms that this was how they certified the software for the unit. The simulator is showing you the way that a number of the other NXi platforms allow the victor airways to be expanded.
Really? Collapsed airways only a selected OEM "feature"? I'm not in the market but the more I learn about Diamond G1000 integration the less likely I become to recommend it.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

And the official reply from Diamond:

I sent your inquiry to my design engineers and they have informed me that this feature was not intentionally left out and that until this point they were unaware. As such I would like to 1. thank you for identifying this and bringing it to our attention, and 2. apologize for the inconvenience / confusion this may have caused.

My design engineers have informed me that this is now on their radar and that it will be addressed as soon as possible.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I’d describe the problem a bit differently. The system is not loading all airway intermediate waypoints into the FPL. If there are no intermediate way points in the FPL, there's nothing to collapse. All the intermediate way points are available for selecting airway entry & exit points, so it's not a database issue.

On those few airways where there is an intermediate waypoint associated with the combination of a turn and/or change in NAV source, the intermediate waypoint is added to the FPL and the airway collapse works as expected.

V573 between TXK and HOT is an example; ELMMO is included in the FPL and collapse works as expected.

It's still a ridiculous bug to have in our software, and Garmin's answer about "certification" is an prime example of garbage technical support.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

chili4way wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:33 am I’d describe the problem a bit differently. The system is not loading all airway intermediate waypoints into the FPL. If there are no intermediate way points in the FPL, there's nothing to collapse. All the intermediate way points are available for selecting airway entry & exit points, so it's not a database issue.

On those few airways where there is an intermediate waypoint associated with the combination of a turn and/or change in NAV source, the intermediate waypoint is added to the FPL and the airway collapse works as expected.

V573 between TXK and HOT is an example; ELMMO is included in the FPL and collapse works as expected.

It's still a ridiculous bug to have in our software, and Garmin's answer about "certification" is an prime example of garbage technical support.
Between TKX and HOT on V573 are four waypoints:
TOYOY - just a waypoint
PIKES - a waypoint with an associated hold
ELMO - VOR crossover and change of course
MARKI - waypoint with an associated hold

But when you route TKX V573 HOT and Expand, only ELMO shows up. We're supposed to believe that Diamond said don't display waypoints that are not a change in course? That's a configuration option? This suggests a true bug in Garmin's software. I'm going back to Garmin.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

The final response from Garmin:

I recommend you speak to the project manager for the platform over at Diamond. Our manager on this end assures me this is the case and it is part of the configuration of the software when it was certified. You wouldn't be the first person to say something about it, so if you talk to their rep they will know what you are talking about. Diamond is very receptive to their pilots across the fleet so your comments will be taken seriously. I wish I could do something for you, but only the Type Certificate holder (Diamond) can affect change since this has to do with software as it was certified with the FAA.