Third sighting of Jetpack man in L.A. airspace. This time caught on video

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Third sighting of Jetpack man in L.A. airspace. This time caught on video

Post by Don »

So a CFI at my base airport, KTOA, shot the jetpack guy last Monday on video flying in our local practice area at 3,000 feet MSL. Over the past few months, jetpack guy has been sighted at 6,000 feet on or near the ILS for LAX and reported by airline pilots. Skeptics say it is a drone with a human like dummy attached. Looking at the video I don't think it is a drone. What do you think?
https://www.foxla.com/video/884113
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Third sighting of Jetpack man in L.A. airspace. This time caught on video

Post by Steve »

Don't know. Could be a human-shaped balloon... I've seen birthday balloons at 5000 feet before. I would have asked ATC if they wanted me to get a closer look. Those jetpacks have only a couple of minutes endurance (the original Bell Rocket Belt unit only 21 seconds, the more modern jet packs have a maximum endurance of about 10 minutes, but are usually deployed at altitude from an aircraft or helicopter), so just keeping it under observation until he landed could be useful in the investigation.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Jetpack aviation is based at Van Nuys. I don't think there is any reason to doubt they are flying around the LA basin.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Call me naive, but I doubt that an established aerospace business is violating the Regs, in controlled airspace, in such a highly visible way. This isn't "Balloon Boy 2"... ;)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Steve wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:24 pm Call me naive, but I doubt that an established aerospace business is violating the Regs, in controlled airspace, in such a highly visible way. This isn't "Balloon Boy 2"... ;)
What are the regs for jetpacks? VFR?

What was the reg violation observed by Sling Flight Academy?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:10 am
Steve wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:24 pm Call me naive, but I doubt that an established aerospace business is violating the Regs, in controlled airspace, in such a highly visible way. This isn't "Balloon Boy 2"... ;)
What are the regs for jetpacks? VFR?

What was the reg violation observed by Sling Flight Academy?
It is unclear which Reg applies, some companies (Martin) have designed their units to comply with Part 103. Several years ago the FAA felt that no regulations would apply, because 30 seconds was "too short to be considered a flight". Obviously, technology advances, and now flight times may be significantly longer, and altitude capability higher.

The incidents at LAX certainly would violate the Class Bravo restrictions. At any rate, flying a man-sized "aircraft" with no recognition technology (strobes, ADS-B, radio) in the mix with actual aircraft isn't very bright, and could get you nominated for a Darwin Award. I stick with my original theory that if this is indeed a "jetpack" type aircraft, this isn't being done by a commercial entity. They would have too much to lose...

Steve
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Certainly violating the Bravo was an issue. But the Sling Aviation sighting wasn't in the Bravo. Not clear if they violated the need for a transponder inside the veil. My point was really that I think it was a human, not a balloon with a dummy.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

This particular practice area is extremely busy. It serves flight training for the following airports. Long Beach, Torrance, Hawthorne, Compton, John Wayne and sometimes Fullerton. Also, extensive aerobatic training exist right about where Jetpack man was sighted. (See red arrow on chart). Flying with no transponder in this area is crazy. Since I started flying in 2003, we have had four fatal mid-airs in this practice area including one of my pilot wife's friends a few years ago. Three souls were lost in that collision. Anyway, I hope they catch the guy.
Jetpack man.jpg
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076