Air Conditioning use and Synthetic vision

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

doclink
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports: KPDK

Air Conditioning use and Synthetic vision

Post by doclink »

In the market for a DA40NG and had some questions I was hoping to get cleared up-

Regarding A/C- for the people that have it, is it something used only at the ramp and taxiing, but not needed enroute, or is it something used for an entire trip? I am in the south, but I m curious if most of you feel it necessary to use full time.

Synthetic vision- how different is functionality on a built in system vs using some like Foreflight with SVT?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Air Conditioning use and Synthetic vision

Post by chili4way »

I fly a DA40NG with SVT and the factory air conditioner. I'm based in Dallas. I'm glad I have both of these.

The biggest drawback of the air conditioner is that you lose ~90 lbs of useful load. With full fuel, I can carry ~500 lbs in the cockpit. I run the AC up to 10,000 MSL or an OAT of 15°C. Then I switch to the much noisier outside air vents. I also have Jet Shades to reduce the solar heat load on long XC trips but not on most 'local' or sight-seeing trips. If you don't spend a lot of time below 8,000 MSL and need the extra useful load for your missions, then you could consider skipping the AC.

The biggest benefit of the SVT on the PFD is that it is part of your primary reference and it's always there; it doesn't require a supplemental GPS or AHRS input (e.g. a Stratus), although ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot (but not FlyQ EFB) can use an (optional) FS510 as this source. For the one-time unlock charge, SVT is a worthwhile option.

If you need to economize, you can easily add SVT later. The AC unit is much more expensive to add after-market.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

A/C: I didn’t want the A/C when I bought a used DA40 XLS but I’m glad I have it. Ground operations and lower flights in the spring through fall (in KY) are very pleasant. As you climb, the compressor may be off but the air circulation is more pleasant to me than the open and noisy vents. Of course, the useful load hit is real and needs to be factored in according to your usual missions.

SVT: I would get this over A/C if you’re choosing based on cost. Great situational awareness tool. The iPad has it as well with ForeFlight but having the SVT on your PFD is exactly where you would want the I formation if you are really needing it to make critical decisions. The highway in the sky boxes for your flight plan and instrument procedures are great. The DPE for my instrument checkride turned my SVT off and said “that’s cheating, makes it too easy.”
brian5x5
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N1234
Airports: KEMT

Post by brian5x5 »

For me, the biggest problem with the A/C is that it moves the CG back about 2 inches. That means I can't use the baggage area at all with my two boys in the back seat. The A/C is great (on the ground and in flight) but it would be pretty great to have the 90 lbs and 2 inches forward CG.

Brian
doclink
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports: KPDK

Post by doclink »

Thank you for the input! Very helpful!