GRS2 Mag Var Database

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

GRS2 Mag Var Database

Post by Soareyes »

Did a NavData update this week using SD cards and FlyGarmin.com. A pop up box asked to install a magnetic variation database. The update seemed to go well.

Today I took the first flight since the update. The autopilot would not go into NAV mode. The ROL mode, HDG mode and everything else all worked fine but no NAV mode. No CAS messages, no red or yellow X's.

I have no idea if there is a connection but will be calling Garmin to ask. Anyone else have a similar problem?

(G1000 Nxi, GFC700)
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: GRS2 Mag Var Database

Post by Boatguy »

I had trouble with the update, but eventually it did work. I haven't flown yet though...
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Had the update, no problems after.
Steve
DA40 XL
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I had no problems. Was the problem that NAV (GPS) mode wouldn't even ARM (white) or that it wouldn't become the active mode (green)? Did the GPS route show on the MFD and CDI? And did the FD flight bars become active in a way that made sense?
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Neither NAV mode nor APR mode would show up in green or white. Pushing those two buttons did nothing, like they weren't even hooked up.

The GPS route looked normal on the MFD. The Flight Director chevron and the CDI needles were active. I was able to fly both an ILS and a GPS approach by hand using their guidance.

Cycling the autopilot circuit breaker didn't change anything, I didn't think until after landing to try cycling the avionics power.

My next thought was to land, shutdown and start back up again but the the flight was partly a repositioning flight to get ready for a tropical storm that is going to be playing tag with us over the next week. Crosswinds were picking up and I decided to just get it on the ground and deal with it later, in a week or so. Hopefully everything will be fine, both with the plane and the avionics.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:18 am Did a NavData update this week using SD cards and FlyGarmin.com. A pop up box asked to install a magnetic variation database. The update seemed to go well.

Today I took the first flight since the update. The autopilot would not go into NAV mode. The ROL mode, HDG mode and everything else all worked fine but no NAV mode. No CAS messages, no red or yellow X's.

I have no idea if there is a connection but will be calling Garmin to ask. Anyone else have a similar problem?

(G1000 Nxi, GFC700)
I did my database update yesterday, too, and received the extra magnetic variation update. This is normal - the magnetic variation information database gets an update every few years, and I guess this month was time for a new one. I didn't have any problems with the autopilot after the update, so at least it doesn't look like a global issue with the update.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Dan, that's a head-scratcher! With a GPS flight plan loaded, an active leg, magenta needles (CDI), and (especially) an FD chevron that makes sense relative to the CDI, I cannot understand why the AP NAV/GPS mode (or VOR if 'green needles' and flying toward a CRS intercept with the VOR identified) wouldn't arm, then engage, when the AP was working fine in HDG or ROL mode.

I can understand how the CDI needle and GS/GP would show correctly even without the FD and AP operational as these are needed in a plane without the optional GFC 700 AP.