Callsign at untowered fields

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Re: Callsign at untowered fields

Post by DaveS1900 »

Years ago pilots used to have a "radio operators permit" and the plane had a radio license on board the aircraft because we were operating a radio station. Ground radio stations (like ham radio stations) are required to identify themselves. Ham radio operators have to identify themselves with each transmission. I would assume that some of the reason we use the aircraft call letters with each transmission is because we are also identifying the aircraft "radio station".

As to the overlap on frequencies, you can petition the FAA or possibly the FCC I can't remember which, to change a CTAF. Of course this would probably only be your local airport, so it doesn't solve the larger issue of overlap at dozens of airports.

Dave S.
Ohio
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

DaveS1900 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:19 am Years ago pilots used to have a "radio operators permit" and the plane had a radio license on board the aircraft because we were operating a radio station.

Dave S.
Ohio
Traveling outside the USA, we still do "need" a radio operator permit and the aircraft needs a radio station license, both from the FCC. I've purchased and carried these on several dozen border crossings, and never been asked even once for them.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Canadian pilots still need a radio permit. Why? Because.
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

My busy home field (KLOM ) is non-towered and being near Philadelphia our CTAF is packed with communications from multiple fields. Our field’s flight school also has 2 heavily utilized DA40s ... so there is ample opportunity for difficult communications on a very busy frequency.

Like many of you my first call is really the full call sign ... “Diamond 427CQ” ... after that I will just use “Diamond 7CQ” ....