G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by Charles K »

OK great - keep us all posted and I will do the same!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

DA42TDI specific upgrade issues are located here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7556 in order to avoid unnecessary confusion with other upgrades which are progressing without major problems.
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Post by TomO »

WAAS upgrade report:

Called a few days ago that a unit(2 GIA 63W’s) was available.
Deposit sent yesterday to Diamond.
Now will be setting up time with Premier Aircraft in Ft. Lauderdale for installation.

Will let the group know how it goes.
Shodan01
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N475PS
Airports: KGMU

Post by Shodan01 »

What was ballpark pricing for this?
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Post by TomO »

Other than Diamond‘s GIA 63W pricing, I have not gotten a total estimate for the antennas, tech time, etc. since the service has not been scheduled. May know more next week.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

I should be going in for my upgrade this coming week so will advise costs when I have them.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
Barry
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Barry
Aircraft Registration: N984ES
Airports: KEIK

Post by Barry »

Got an email from Diamond about the upgrade yesterday. Going schedule the work as soon as possible. It will be nice not to dive and drive on GPS approaches! I think its a no brainer for my 2007XL.
Barry Starkman
Commercial Instrument
DA40 N984ES 40.827
KEIK - Erie, CO
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

I wanted to update everyone on my progress as I may be the first one actually performing the upgrade for this program.

I dropped the plane off to Absolute Aero at KHWD on this past Monday. Short story the plane is coming home today without the upgrade.

The shop was smart in that they did not start the project until they got all questions answered and info from Diamond/Garmin. Much to their surprise the OSB kit came with new Ethernet wiring and instructions stating that the new, lightning protected cable needed to be installed. Also the instructions mentioned the GTX345R must be relocated to another part of the avionics cage. They are seeking clarification and hope to see if that is all really necessary.

The wiring issue adds more labor and also requires the interior to come out just like at annual. Since I am performing the annual in January they felt it best, and most economical to hold off until the annual. So while I am frustrated/disappointed - at least they were smart and the plane will not just sit around the shop while this all gets figured out.

I will keep you all posted what we hear from Diamond/Garmin. Clearly the 4-6 hours labor estimated is too low.

PS - this was not a failed mission as they did my IFR, pitot static, XPDR check. Also my nose wheel tension was getting bad and they pulled the gear off the spindle and found the two bushings completely worn and wear just starting to the gear fork and spindle. Saved thousands by getting this caught now. My previous shop I don't think ever pulled and checked the bushings (teflon/bronze). I have about 1400 flight hours. They said usually when they see this it is much worse and expensive gear parts have to be replaced - so please have yours checked if you have never done that.
Charles
KCCR Based
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

I just got my plane (2006 DA42 with kap140) back following WAAS upgrade at Diamond Austria (with self provided GIA63W and the URBE STC).

The installation works very well. The KAP140 intercepts and tracks the approaches accurately (tried both LPV and LNAV+V).

I didn’t find the g1000 logging function which is supposedly activated following this upgrade. If anyone has a hint please let me know.

Here are two videos of the beginning of the approaches (not at typical approach speeds though) :

Salim

LNAV+V :

[youtube] https://youtu.be/9AUC3WhHQe8[/youtube]

LPV :

[youtube] https://youtu.be/bJUygvgm7KM[/youtube]

Best
Salim
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I didn’t find the g1000 logging function which is supposedly activated following this upgrade. If anyone has a hint please let me know.
Congrats on getting your Legacy WAAS upgrade completed! Thanks for posting those videos.

If you place a Windows FAT32 formatted SDcard in the upper SD slot on the MFD, the system should record flight information to that SD card. You can then take that SDcard out and upload the CSV information to any of several web-based analysis sites. I'm not aware of any specific 'turn on' requirement to enable the logging.