G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by Diamond_Dan »

I have this same configuration - 2004 G1000 KAP 140 upgraded to 345R and WAAS and it works great so it definitely can be done. As far as I know, the screens are original. Hopefully your patience will pay off.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Thanks TomO - I will mention the issues to my shop - thanks!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Yeah I recall the 345 instal being a PITA for our shop. Where are you having your work done? I am in WI, and was considering going to London ON for the WAAS upgrade if/when they ever get the GIA63Ws in stock.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

I'm at Absolute Aero in Hayward, CA (KHWD) in the San Francisco Bay Area - 15 minute flight from my home field of KCCR. This is one of the shops Diamond authorized for the upgrade work.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

vontresc wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:35 pm I am in WI, and was considering going to London ON for the WAAS upgrade if/when they ever get the GIA63Ws in stock.
If you are seriously interested, it would be wise to sign up ASAP so your money-committed interest is clear. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more demand than supply (since only "recycled" GIA63Ws from the NXI P1-P2 upgrade program are the ones that are available).

Diamond says they will provide GIA63W units as they become available in the order in which commitments are made across all models. I am fairly confident they are protecting the DA42-TDI commitments they've already received - even though there is a delay in having a fully certified software solution for this specific model. (DA40s have no such software constraint.)

Any future "V15" GDU software upgrade for Legacy G1000 systems will require WAAS capability, and this is the last SW update Legacy owners can reasonably expect from Diamond and Garmin. And this update will be FREE, except for the cost you need to pay your local Garmin dealer to do the installation and configuration (the scope/effort required is specific to your WAAS-equipped airplane).

"Wait and see" at your own peril!
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

I agree that if you want the WAAS - get on the list now! I got on the original list when it was 25K installed and you had to go to the factory - but that never went anywhere - which is good because the folks on the board working with Diamond/Garmin have been doing great work for us all and I am grateful for the better pricing. That got me very high on the new list and units right away.

Just hoping they get it all sorted out. I went to the shop Friday and the person working on it was on the phone with Garmin and working on my system the entire time I was there so I could not even say hello. I will continue to keep you all posted.
Charles
KCCR Based
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

Status Update:

Everyone is stumped. Next step - they are putting back the old GIA63s and will attempt loading back 321.22 to isolate if the new GIA63Ws are the problem, wiring issues (upgrade required replacing ethernet with new lightning protected ethernet) or other TBD issue.

If there is something wrong with the new GIAs then I wonder what happens since there are supposedly none available?

Also the Garmin expert that promised to call back Friday still has not.

This is extremely frustrating now - they have had my plane for 5 weeks. If no progress by Monday then I am going direct to Diamond and Garmin waving the AOG flag.
Charles
KCCR Based
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

Status Update:

They brought in an expert from Premiere Texas to help today.

Using my old GIA63s did not solve the issue. I keep telling the shop to really check their wiring and/or try my old cable as a test.

DiamondDan, TomO - did they replace an ethernet cable from front to back with new lightning protection resistor array and/ or splice in the new array? In my case the kit from Diamond included a new cable with resister array and they used the entire new wiring assembly. Possibly Diamond sent a bad cable and/or not installed correctly.
Charles
KCCR Based
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Post by TomO »

My understanding is that they replaced the cable with the new provided by Diamond.
Check your PM’s.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles K »

Status Update:

Good News / Short Story - it is working now with the new Ws.

Longer detailed story:

Yesterday I was down at the shop and met the guy from Premiere (David who is very knowledgeable on these upgrades.) and they also had Tracy from Garmin on the line (supposedly their best person).

So earlier this week they put back my old non WAAS GIAs and the same problem. Tried another set of non WAAS GIAs - same problem. Tried the new WAAS GIAs in another plane and they were good.

I have kept pointing them to what have you touched physically since the project started. Main thing was the ethernet cable. I had been suggesting they disconnect that one and just temporarily hookup my old one to see if the cable was the issue but they were not wanting to do that as they have 'tested' the cable many times including bypassing the lightning protection resistors.

When the Garmin tech made the same suggestion they decided to try it. As they disassembled the cage to prepare - David noticed a bad connection that comes in from the side of the cage unrelated to the ethernet cable. Turns out it was right behind where you replace the slow blow lightning protection fuses each year for G1000 ICA compliance.

So guess what - they must have jostled or jarred something when replacing those fuses. Once they fixed that they had all the new .23 SW loaded and the 345R reconfigured by the end of the day.

I share this as it was a maintenance induced failure and might help someone else in the future. This will be reported to Diamond for their troubleshooting database. I had been on the phone with Ed Hollestelle from Diamond and he wanted the incident report to keep in their records.

Just need the annual completed and then should be ready to pick up - though will wait until at least Monday to move the annual sign-off to early march. I'll keep you posted of any changes or issues that arise.

Week 6 - whew !!!!
Charles
KCCR Based