G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by CFIDave »

ememic99 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:43 am
TomO wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 am When tried one or two times, the autopilot did not couple to the glide slope so I assumed the KAP-140 did not follow the GS.
What would be the point of upgrading to WAAS if not the ability to fly coupled LPV approaches?
Or WAAS LP approaches (which the G1000 can add a synthesized glide path to become LP+V approaches for those aircraft that support VNAV).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N524PS
Airports: KMTH

Post by TomO »

Follow up to my previous posts:

When I retried the approaches, I still got no autopilot GS coupling. The GS was there to allow hand flying but would not couple regardless of want I did.
On occasion an intermittent service PFD alert was noted that appeared to be new since I picked up the plane.
The LRU was rechecked and the PFD was X’ed. No other abnormality on the PFD was noted. This was initially missed on the preflight since I did not scroll down far enough on the screen.
To rule out the PFD as the problem, the MFD was switched to the PFD and vice versa.
The LRU X switched to the MFD.
Thinking I had nothing to lose, I decided to retry the coupled GS. The autopilot and GS coupled flawlessly down to the DA times 2.
So, the problem with the LPV autopilot coupling appears to related to the PFD unit needing service, not that the KAP-140 cannot do the approach.
Thanks to the net for all the help.
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

So I hadn't checked on the G1000 thread in a while, and it's great to see that we can now get a "reasonably" priced WAAS upgrade. Can anyone share the total cost of the WAAS upgrade? I see $13k for the hardware and 4-6 hours labor. So I'm guessing that ought to be <$15k right?

I just don't want to run into any annoying gotchas before bringing this to my flying club.
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by TomO »

The costs are accurate for the units($13000). The only costs that were not as quoted were the hours of labor for installation. There are more work hours than estimated for the needed lightening protection and rewiring the units. The “ballpark” costs are approximately $14500 to $15000 total.

I am very happy with the installation and new capabilities. In the long run, the added safety plus future resell value is worth it.

My display screens were original and needed replacement anyway which is an expense you should not have to deal with. Those will be replaced in the next week or two.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

TomO wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:07 pm My display screens were original and needed replacement anyway which is an expense you should not have to deal with. Those will be replaced in the next week or two.
Do you have an idea of screens prices?
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by TomO »

An exchange refurbished (from Garmin) GDU 1040 price is $2850 per screen. There was a price increase at the beginning of the year. A new display is quite pricey (approximately $6000).

Sometimes avionics shops will have removed displays from upgrades that are more reasonably priced if you are willing to wait take the chance the display is in good condition. Of course your display is then used as the exchange.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Wow - used to be about 1500 for any unit - they are getting greedy!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Charles K wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am Wow - used to be about 1500 for any unit - they are getting greedy!
Why is it all price increases the vendor is greedy? It might just be me, but I am seeing this phrase more and more often by pilots on multiple forums.

Tim
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Update on my WAAS Upgrade - 2004 DA40 G1000 with KAP140.

The shop has been having a heck of a time with it. As of earlier this week all hardware was installed and they could not get the new GIA63Ws to configure. Garmin had them remove the GIAs, load the base SW and then add back and configure the GIAs. That worked but then they could not get the GTX345R configured and it would not talk to their laptop via USB.

This morning they got a new loader image for their laptop for the 345R. They powered up the plane and the PFD and MFD would not talk to any of the LRUs. They all reported a red X on the MFD. They are stumped again and will get back with Garmin in the morning.

This is turning into a messy, complicated upgrade and I cannot say I am that happy. It is interesting that TomO got his working without much trouble and I am happy for him.

PS - between annual, Plane Power 150a alternator and AC wiring and this WAAS upgrade - the plane has now been in the shop for four weeks.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
TomO
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by TomO »

Charles
Sorry to hear about your installation troubles.

I was told before installation that sometimes the old display screens have trouble accepting the new software which may have explained my PFD problem. As previously mentioned, my screens were in sad shape from age and I was looking at replacement anyhow. Our original ADS-B installation required some rewiring for the installation.

My wife and I have used the LPV function multiple times for practice and IAP’s on IFR flight plans while in VMC with the WAAS working perfectly.

Hopefully Garmin and your shop will figure it out.