IFR/VFR - Monitoring the (Human) Engine Inflight (Full ATC)

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

IFR/VFR - Monitoring the (Human) Engine Inflight (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

For very good reasons, we spend time, money and energy monitoring our aircraft engines. Today, using his Fitbit watch, we check on the condition of our pilot Levi’s human “engine”. We file IFR and shoot a couple RNAV approaches going missed, then nail a couple VFR landings... all while recording Levi’s heart rate. When compared with other normal daily events (e.g. sleeping, driving, exertion), how would you expect a pilot’s inflight heart rate to stack up… more or less stressful?
Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: IFR/VFR - Monitoring the (Human) Engine Inflight (Full ATC)

Post by Steve »

Wayne:

Interesting video. The Navy did a study of fighter aviators' heart rates (HR) during different phases of the mission during the Vietnam war. There was a slight bump during launch from the carrier, and a fairly big elevation during ACM, but the highest HRs were seen coming aboard the carrier at the end of the mission, especially at night or in bad weather.

I did a study when I was teaching Ophthalmology Residents intraocular (cataract) surgery by recording the Resident's and teaching staff's (me) HRs during the surgery. Interestingly, with inexperienced Residents, the timing of peak HRs were often not synchronized (meaning the Resident didn't know he was getting into trouble and I did). More experienced Residents had their peak HR during the same phases as I did (sometimes never significantly elevating). It would be interesting to do the same for various levels of flight training (Primary, Instrument).

Steve
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: IFR/VFR - Monitoring the (Human) Engine Inflight (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

Steve, thanks for watching... and BIG thanks for adding your legit expertise to the topic. On this one-pilot one-day data sample it was quite interesting that HR was influenced by phase of flight, but all the inflight measurements were way lower than simply driving home.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot