Masks in the Cockpit - VFR Paso Robles - pre-student Craig hand flying

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Masks in the Cockpit - VFR Paso Robles - pre-student Craig hand flying

Post by waynemcc999 »

In my first socially-distanced cockpit, we’re off to lunch with good friend and soon-to-be student pilot Craig. Turns out a good number of pilots chose the same destination and we found a busy pattern at this pilot-controlled airport! On both the outbound and return legs Craig got in a good amount of hand flying as background for flight training that’s on the horizon. How are you socially distancing INSIDE the cockpit? Do you enjoy introducing prospective future pilots to aviation? What methods do you use to get them some hands-on time?
Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Masks in the Cockpit - VFR Paso Robles - pre-student Craig hand flying

Post by blsewardjr »

Wayne- Thanks for posting this. Now that Angel Flight in my area is resuming passenger flights, to wear a mask or not has become a live issue. I've done one short flight with friends (30 minutes) with one and found it uncomfortable and difficult to communicate with ATC. (I use the disposable medical/surgical type). Both Angel Flight (and airlines) encourage use in the cockpit but don't require it. My unscientific hunch is that if I and a patient are in the DA40 for two hours the mask will not stop the virus. Accordingly, for now I'm just doing solo PPE transport flights. Bernie
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

blsewardjr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:10 pm Wayne- Thanks for posting this. Now that Angel Flight in my area is resuming passenger flights, to wear a mask or not has become a live issue. I've done one short flight with friends (30 minutes) with one and found it uncomfortable and difficult to communicate with ATC. (I use the disposable medical/surgical type). Both Angel Flight (and airlines) encourage use in the cockpit but don't require it. My unscientific hunch is that if I and a patient are in the DA40 for two hours the mask will not stop the virus. Accordingly, for now I'm just doing solo PPE transport flights. Bernie
Bernie, thanks for watching and for sharing your perspective. On this flight, both my right-seater Craig and I started out each trying a non-venting N95 mask... they were comfortable enough, but muffled coms too much. Then we switched to simple cloth masks, and found them not at all uncomfortable and, although a bit muffled, the clarity of coms was decent. Even if the masks catch as little as 50% of the exhaled droplets (which most tests would indicate), that's way better than no masks at all.

IMHO the most important thing in a DA40 is... open those monster air vents (panel, overhead, back seat) 100% and blast enough air into and out of the aircraft that it feels almost "outdoors".

Regarding Angel Flight trips... I'm also sticking for now to solo flights of blood and PPE transports only.
All the best,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Wayne, great video as always. I took a 16y.o who wants to become a pilot up the other day to shoot some approaches in IFR. He took this video with his iPhone. Masks seemed to be just fine, and we both had the air vents blasting at us the whole time.

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Andrew, your young friend did an excellent job on the video (as expected for his generation), and the approaches were pretty nice also ;) .
Glad to hear the masks (and air vents) also worked well for you.
Very best regards,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I just did some flight instruction in a DA40NG this morning: We both wore masks (cloth for me, N95 for the other pilot), had the air vents wide open (also necessary this time of year because of the heat), and left the canopy partially open in "cooling position" when taxiing.

I won't fly with anyone (other than my pilot wife) without masks on.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:18 pm I just did some flight instruction in a DA40NG this morning: We both wore masks (cloth for me, N95 for the other pilot), had the air vents wide open (also necessary this time of year because of the heat), and left the canopy partially open in "cooling position" when taxiing.

I won't fly with anyone (other than my pilot wife) without masks on.
Dave, I'm with you on this mask point. What % degradation in coms transmission quality would you guestimate?
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

waynemcc999 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:38 pmWhat % degradation in coms transmission quality would you guestimate?
Wayne
No appreciable degradation if you put your headset's boom mic right up against your mask.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI