Service

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Jimflyw
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N350RJ
Airports: 4B8

Service

Post by Jimflyw »

I’m a new Diamond Da40 owner, my first plane I’d be interested to know if there are any Diamond service centers or service shops that specialize in DIAMONDS IN THE Northeast I live in Ct. thank you.
Flyairth
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ian
Aircraft Registration: N732DS
Airports: KCGS

Re: Service

Post by Flyairth »

Did you try www.diamondaircraft.com, or are you looking for a PIREP?
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Three Wing Aviation @ KBDR
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Take Flight Aviation at Orange County airport KMGJ just across the Hudson River from CT.
https://www.takeflightoc.com
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

https://www.takeflightoc.com/maintenance/

I called them a couple years ago and they sounded good. They run a flight school with Diamonds, so I assume the maintenance is okay.

When I am in New England I am based at Norwood, MA (KOWD) and they have a few Diamonds on the field and a shop that replaced my exhaust bracket one time (fine job).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

Jimflyw wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am I’m a new Diamond Da40 owner, my first plane I’d be interested to know if there are any Diamond service centers or service shops that specialize in DIAMONDS IN THE Northeast I live in Ct. thank you.
Did my annual with TakeFlight in 2019 and am doing my annual right now with Three Wing. So far I'm finding Three Wing to be a more thorough experience - Jared's definitely catching some things that others have missed over the years. Can give you a more complete answer once I get my plane back.

best,
dan
Jamo1911
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N168LA
Airports: kMGJ

Post by Jamo1911 »

danno2000 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:08 pm
Jimflyw wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am I’m a new Diamond Da40 owner, my first plane I’d be interested to know if there are any Diamond service centers or service shops that specialize in DIAMONDS IN THE Northeast I live in Ct. thank you.
Did my annual with TakeFlight in 2019 and am doing my annual right now with Three Wing. So far I'm finding Three Wing to be a more thorough experience - Jared's definitely catching some things that others have missed over the years. Can give you a more complete answer once I get my plane back.

best,
dan
How did things go?
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Post by cptndavid »

I did my annual on my DA 42 last year at Take Flight.
I was and still am disappointed with the service, they missed some things and I am still waiting for the oil analysis (it was never sent)
i am back at Glenn's shop in N.C. That would be South Tech aviation. He may be the best Diamond shop on the east coast.
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

Jamo1911 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 am How did things go?
Expensive but I’m hoping it’s largely a one-time catch-up on some previously missed Chapter 4 items. Took longer than hoped but that was mostly COVID issues with staff. Definitely feel like nothing got missed. I’ll stick with Three Wing next year.

dan
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

We're looking for a new shop to perform our annual this year. Our regular mechanic let me know that he's too busy, so now I'm scrambling to find a new shop so we don't miss the best of the flying season again this year.

While Take Flight has been great at diagnosing some odd Diamond quirks for us over the years, we went there for a full annual in 2019 and will not be going back. I reached out to Three Wing but their "flat rate" estimate, excluding inspection of Power Flow and GFC700 came in at nearly twice what we usually pay. I fear that with the squawks and other items they may end up costing us significantly more than we've budgeted.

I reached out to Lincoln Park Aviation and their rates seem reasonable, but I haven't seen any PIREPs on the forum. Has anyone used them?

DA40 maintenance is really starting to wear on me. It seems that Cessna and even Cirrus owners face far fewer issues with mechanics than Diamond owners, who in my experience (first and second hand) seem to get taken advantage of. It's really quite unfortunate, as I often regret owning a plane when it comes time to schedule maintenance. I know this time will pass and I'll be happy again, but it's just so frustrating to get what should be a simple job done.

I've reached out to the Diamond Authorized Service Centers in the Northeast that are accessible from NYC, so if there are non-service center shops that folks might recommend, I'd love to hear.