TEC Route over Quiet LAX (Full ATC)

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

TEC Route over Quiet LAX (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

Following a short, pleasant PilotsNPaws transport to Fullerton, we file, pick up, and fly a TEC Route back to Santa Barbara over a very quiet LAX. A TEC Route is a regionally specific, shorthand IFR clearance for a pre-packaged routing, and sometimes simplifies things a little. Have you flown a SoCal TEC Route? How ‘bout a TEC Route in the Northeastern USA? Do you see much benefit?
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: TEC Route over Quiet LAX (Full ATC)

Post by Colin »

Yes, I've gotten to fly a bunch of them. They were really useful when I was doing my IFR training in SoCal since it is much simplified, no dealing with Center or their flows, just pop up and down.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Colin wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 pm Yes, I've gotten to fly a bunch of them. They were really useful when I was doing my IFR training in SoCal since it is much simplified, no dealing with Center or their flows, just pop up and down.
Colin, I had my IR already when I moved from Tahoe to Santa Barbara, but I bet the TEC routes are REALLY useful for IFR training, when you want to fly several legs in one outing... and don't even need to file for each leg, just call Clx/Ground and verbally request the next TEC route.

My only minor frustration with TEC routes is that 50% of the time (e.g. out of KSBA) the clearance I receive nicely just gives the abbreviated route (SBAP5) but the other 50% of the time (as in the video from KFUL) the controller still issues the full expanded clearance (even though it ends up identical to CSTP21). Takes longer for both of us and is error prone (in the video, I heard V27 rather than V23).

But I am a fan of the TEC routes.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I have flown the TECs a lot. It is the FAA computer, not the controllers, that causes the full routing to be issued. The software doesn't necessarily know the TEC abbreviations and issues the full routing and the controllers may or may not be aware of the actual routing in a particular TEC. The apps and websites often aren't also aware of the TECs, thereby also causing annoyances. This is where the "system to get around the system" runs into the system.

One day I asked the SMO tower for one to Zamparini (Torrance) and they were howling. Told me that nobody enroute would know the reference. I am guessing that soon nobody will know the reference to "Sanmo," either ...

The TECs are a fun quirk of SoCal flying. I wish they existed in NorCal and on the East Coast.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

I may have missed it, but what was the "Papa21" on board?
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

waynemcc999 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:43 pm
Colin wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 pm Yes, I've gotten to fly a bunch of them. They were really useful when I was doing my IFR training in SoCal since it is much simplified, no dealing with Center or their flows, just pop up and down.
Colin, I had my IR already when I moved from Tahoe to Santa Barbara, but I bet the TEC routes are REALLY useful for IFR training, when you want to fly several legs in one outing... and don't even need to file for each leg, just call Clx/Ground and verbally request the next TEC route.

My only minor frustration with TEC routes is that 50% of the time (e.g. out of KSBA) the clearance I receive nicely just gives the abbreviated route (SBAP5) but the other 50% of the time (as in the video from KFUL) the controller still issues the full expanded clearance (even though it ends up identical to CSTP21). Takes longer for both of us and is error prone (in the video, I heard V27 rather than V23).

But I am a fan of the TEC routes.
Wayne
I had the same frustration as Wayne when departing KTOA with my first time use of a TEC (to KBUR). Called ground, asked for TEC to KBUR, 2 min later given "cleared to KBUR via TECXYZ(forgot which one) as filed. I was in hog heaven. Then a moment after that, advised had an amended clearance, which I proceeded to copy down. It was a ridiculous 20 step clearance, with the inbound and outbound radials to each VOR with each Victor airway (waypoints were essentially just direct), where at the end, after having some time to process in my brain, I realized it was exactly the TEC as published! I called clearance back and asked why in the world that was just done, when it was functionally exactly the same as "as published", and was told he didn't know why, but was frustrating to them also. I haven't tried to use another TEC since.
Steve
DA40 XL
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

pietromarx wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:29 am I have flown the TECs a lot. It is the FAA computer, not the controllers, that causes the full routing to be issued. The software doesn't necessarily know the TEC abbreviations and issues the full routing and the controllers may or may not be aware of the actual routing in a particular TEC. The apps and websites often aren't also aware of the TECs, thereby also causing annoyances. This is where the "system to get around the system" runs into the system.

One day I asked the SMO tower for one to Zamparini (Torrance) and they were howling. Told me that nobody enroute would know the reference. I am guessing that soon nobody will know the reference to "Sanmo," either ...

The TECs are a fun quirk of SoCal flying. I wish they existed in NorCal and on the East Coast.
I love your phrase... "system to get around the system" runs into the system. Well said!
Thanks for the insight,
Wayne

P.S. The TEC routes are indeed a nice quirk... would be even more productive if 100% of the time the clearance (and therefore the readback) was "vectors to <fix>, then rest of the <TEC route>". Seems like it would be well worth it for someone at the FAA to write the page or two of code to make this happen.
Wayne McClelland
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

smoss wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 pm ... I realized it was exactly the TEC as published!
Steve... wow! ;)
Thanks for sharing,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

blsewardjr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:13 am I may have missed it, but what was the "Papa21" on board?
Bernie,

The TEC Routes are a SoCal shorthand, in this case... the TEC Route "CSTP21" is a shorthand route for:
SLI.V23.LAX.V299.VTU.VTU282.KWANG between KFUL and KSBA.

The pilot files CSTP21 in the route field (e.g. when filing from ForeFlight; or he/she can even request the clx verbally without filing), and as a courtesy lets the Clx or Ground controller know that he/she "has the P21 on board" (i.e. has the expanded route available in the cockpit) -- as a hint that he/she would prefer the shorthand clearance -- and the controller (only 50% of the time, unfortunately), clears with the abbreviated routing.

Thanks for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland