G1000/NXi Evolution for Diamond Owners

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

G1000/NXi Evolution for Diamond Owners

Post by CFIDave »

As part of our efforts as DAN representatives working with Diamond to address G1000 issues, it became necessary for us to gain a better understanding of the G1000/NXi hardware and software currently installed in different Diamond aircraft models, and how many of each model exist in the fleet.

We also thought that it might be useful to have a document that summarizes the differences between Legacy G1000 vs. G1000 NXi, NXi Phase I vs. Phase II, and what features have been added to each new GDU software release -- all in one place.

Owners responding to Diamond's initial customer survey

https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/abou ... er-survey/

as well as to forthcoming model-specific surveys that will ask questions about potential options and prices -- may find this document useful in understanding G1000/NXi technology and terminology as applied to Diamond aircraft.
Attachments
G1000 Evolution for Diamond Owners.pdf
(52.62 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
caseyayers
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Casey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N384DM
Airports: KCRG

Re: G1000/NXi Evolution for Diamond Owners

Post by caseyayers »

This is a fantastic resource that really clearly outlines the differences in software versions in a fashion I haven’t been able to find anywhere else. Thanks so much for your work on this!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

caseyayers wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 pm This is a fantastic resource that really clearly outlines the differences in software versions in a fashion I haven’t been able to find anywhere else. Thanks so much for your work on this!
Hi Casey, please check your PMs about flying coupled LPV approaches with KAP140 and GIA63W.
Or look near the bottom of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7159
VCS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dick
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: PHTDX
Airports: EHAM

Post by VCS »

Hi CFIDave, Thanks for the great list. For those of us in Europe, there are several 'legacy' G1000 systems that have been upgraded via a STC to support the GIA63W (WAAS) interface. (We had the upgrade done in 2018 by URBEaero in Austria in 2018.) We have software version 628.00 (which I think was based on the software for the Chinese version of the DA40-D). The GIA software is at version 6.40 and the MFD at 12.03. In addition to WAAS/LPV support, it also allow SafeTaxi to be used. It may also support ChartView, but we don't have this installed.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Dick:
That's great to learn that there's newer G1000 software available for DA40Ds running GDU Version 12.03 that also makes those aircraft candidates for GIA63W WAAS upgrades.

I got much of the software version info from downloading and reading Garmin's G1000 Pilots Guide PDF manuals posted on Garmin's fly.garmin.com website, and Garmin only lists ancient GDU 5 software from 2005 as being available for the DA40D.

Do you have Garmin G1000 Pilot's Guides available for your newer DA40D software, possibly in electronic form? If so, could you post a link to the PDF files (or contact me via PM to send files)? We expect to update the Evolution document as we learn more.

Those of us in North America are still baffled as to why Europeans need an STC to update G1000 software. Here all we have to do is hire a Garmin avionics tech for about two hours of their labor to install G1000 software available from Garmin for free.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
VCS
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dick
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: PHTDX
Airports: EHAM

Post by VCS »

Hi Dave,
I have put a host of documents related to the DA40D update at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/elb7xqd4fyk9 ... yBgma?dl=0
Those of us in North America are still baffled as to why Europeans need an STC to update G1000 software. Here all we have to do is hire a Garmin avionics tech for about two hours of their labor to install G1000 software available from Garmin for free.
This is something that baffles those of us in Europe, too. Here are the (perhaps biased) answers that I've gotten:
a) Diamond buys releases of Garmin SW. Updating to a new version costs Diamond €€€.
b) Diamond needs to certify the release, which also costs €€€.
c) As all companies, Diamond would rather that 'we' spend the €€€ on, for example, a DA40-NG upgrade than maintain a legacy product.
d) Most DA40-Ds are used for primary training, where schools have little incentive to invest in upgrading the avionics for VFR and basic IFR training. (Or so I'm told.)

That being said, I believe that Diamond was very helpful in developing the STC and that it was way cheaper for them to partner with an external organisation (especially one located next door to them at LOAN) than to do this all themselves.

We left the plane in Austria for a few days. The upgrade was around €30K for 2 new GIA63W's, new antenna's, cables, misc s/w and h/w items and installation. A stiff fee but it has really upgraded the usefulness of the airplane for both training WAAS approaches and doing actual flying around the EU.
-d.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

And why I think the industry needs a new model. The reality is our avionics have a useful life, roughly around 10 to 15 years depending on how you want to count it. Current avionics upgrades for everything except the AP servos is usually around 100K.

I would think it would be in Garmin and/or Diamond's best interest to offer a subscription; which guarantees software updates and hardware refreshes. Buy in, and other factors would need to be accounted for. But I think you get the idea.

Tim
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

TimS wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:40 pm And why I think the industry needs a new model. The reality is our avionics have a useful life, roughly around 10 to 15 years depending on how you want to count it. Current avionics upgrades for everything except the AP servos is usually around 100K.

I would think it would be in Garmin and/or Diamond's best interest to offer a subscription; which guarantees software updates and hardware refreshes. Buy in, and other factors would need to be accounted for. But I think you get the idea.
You're absolutely correct that avionics overhauls dwarf engine overhauls, at least on a single. But I think the $100K estimate is high. The G1000 to NXi GDU upgrade for Textron planes is about $30K. The LRUs can be left in place, or upgraded piecemeal. Other than the transponder, there is no significant functional improvement in any of the newer LRUs in an NXi system versus a 2008 G1000 system.

Given the uncertainty of what would be delivered and what its cost would be at the time of delivery the subscription model would be a tough sell to owners. Avionics costs are dropping pretty fast and will probably continue to do so as consumer electronics drive down the component and build costs. I don't see the game changer sort of evolution like WAAS on the horizon which justifies a major upgrade. I'm expecting a lot more incremental stuff. The biggest game changer is AutoLand and how much would you pay for that? How much would your wife pay? :)

Subscriptions for software updates has been suggested, but Diamond did not respond. We've been told that Garmin develops the software at no cost to the mfg. It appears that owners haven't got avionics software updates more out of neglect of the issue rather than cost. And again, a subscription creates the expectation of continual improvement which Diamond cannot control and to which Garmin may be unwilling to commit, or just unable to deliver anything meaningful for our money.

Think of Garmin like Apple. They sell hardware and give away most of the software (excluding the pure services part of the business).

That said, I think owner's would be wise to recognize that they should be reserving, at least mentally, for avionics upgrades in the same way they do for engine overhauls.
caseyayers
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Casey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N384DM
Airports: KCRG

Post by caseyayers »

chili4way wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:50 pm
caseyayers wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:10 pm This is a fantastic resource that really clearly outlines the differences in software versions in a fashion I haven’t been able to find anywhere else. Thanks so much for your work on this!
Hi Casey, please check your PMs about flying coupled LPV approaches with KAP140 and GIA63W.
Or look near the bottom of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7159
Responded! It occurred to me after PM’ing you that somebody else might find this useful down the road and find it through a search, so here’s a copy of the relevant bits of my response below:

Prior to me purchasing my DA40, it was upgraded to 63W. I can’t immediately find definitively when the 63 was swapped out, and think it may only be described in my logs as part of a “G1000 WAAS package” but my equipment list definitely includes the 63W, and I definitely have WAAS.

I’m not a big fan of my KAP, as it suffers from an innocuous but annoying “pogo” effect in most phases of flight on most days, except when in Approach mode, at which point it tends to settle down a bit. I can definitely fly LPV approaches, but I believe LNAV/VNAV are not supported. I’m uncertain in regards to LP. I don’t think the KAP itself is running any particularly special software/firmware, although I can’t confirm that. The GIA software version is 6.40. The G1000 itself is running 321.23. I put together an iCloud album with the most relevant logbook entries and a screenshot of the MFD listing version numbers, as well as a video of how the KAP acts in cruise most of the time:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0JGhtLJ3J8ulyE
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:17 pm You're absolutely correct that avionics overhauls dwarf engine overhauls, at least on a single.
Twin as well. My bill for exchanging two engines (CD-155), two propellers (Scimitar), cowlings and radiators was under 150k (including Crosby STC). Initial offer for G1000 to NXi upgrade for DA42 was 180k.