Winds Arrows in G1000 Profile View - Iridium

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Winds Arrows in G1000 Profile View - Iridium

Post by ultraturtle »

I found the profile view of winds aloft tremendously valuable when tactically picking altitudes to fly in my previous ride - a DA42-VI getting its data from Sirius/XM. My current ride gets its data from Iridium satellite (Garmin Connext) and should provide the same information:
Highlight shows profile winds should be displayed
Highlight shows profile winds should be displayed

I know the wind data does get collected, as displayed in the MFD plan view:
The wind data gets collected as displayed on the MFD plan view.
The wind data gets collected as displayed on the MFD plan view.

Yet it does not show up in the profile view:
No wind arrows displayed in profile view.
No wind arrows displayed in profile view.

The settings page of the G1000 shows winds aloft display enabled. Wondering if anyone else has this issue, or can provide any suggestions.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Winds Arrows in G1000 Profile View - Iridium

Post by CFIDave »

This is strange behavior since you can see winds in MFD plan view. Garmin Connext weather is normally a last choice if you have no other options when flying outside of North America -- since it operates at very slow dial-up modem speeds over the old Iridium satellite network voice channels (not the new Iridium Next satellites with much higher bandwidth).

On my DA62 I rely on SiriusXM weather to show winds aloft in Profile View. But even with SXM, it sometimes takes as long as 15-20 minutes before winds aloft finally display in Profile View (I'm running G1000 NXi version 1373-2).

If you have a DA62 with G1000 NXi Phase I, you should soon be able to receive free ADS-B IN weather including winds aloft via software v1373-3, permitting a GTX345R to be installed. DA62s with legacy G1000s have been able to install GTX345R with ADS-B IN weather for the past 3 years. So hopefully you won't have to depend on slow Garmin Connext weather for much longer.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:03 pmOn my DA62 I rely on SiriusXM weather to show winds aloft in Profile View.
GDL69 addition to my bird = 10 AMU.

Sirius/XM costs ~$30/mo whereas Garmin Connext (Iridium) costs $80/mo. That gulf means that it would take over 16 years of use to make installation of a GDL69 the better value than my current configuration, disregarding the suprisingly frequent and handy utility of making and receiving sat phone calls and texts from any altitude and location on the globe.

All I want here is the full promised utility of my satellite data subscription, not a marginal substitute that works only in North America.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:03 pmDA62s with legacy G1000s have been able to install GTX345R with ADS-B IN weather for the past 3 years.
The Garmin website for the GTX345R states that it displays "winds and temperatures aloft", so I gotta wonder if this is in case the fact. I would love to get ADSB-In traffic displayed as well as the wind arrows in profile view with no subscription at all. Breakeaven for the 10 AMU installation would go down to 10 1/2 years since I could cancel the Iridium Connext subscription completely. Can anyone out there verify that you get wind arrows in profile view with only a GTX345R and no Sirius/XM or Connext data?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ultraturtle wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:48 am Can anyone out there verify that you get wind arrows in profile view with only a GTX345R and no Sirius/XM or Connext data?
I recall seeing this in a brand new DA62 with G1000 NXi running v1373-3, as well as with DA40NGs running NXi. But it looks like you may have a DA62 running a Legacy G1000 software version.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:17 pm I recall seeing this in a brand new DA62 with G1000 NXi running v1373-3, as well as with DA40NGs running NXi. But it looks like you may have a DA62 running a Legacy G1000 software version.
I had wind arrows in profile view in my previous 2015 DA42-VI Legacy G1000 running an older software version (v14.xx) from Sirius/XM. My DA62 is Legacy G1000 with newer software (v15.xx) getting its data from Iridium satellite, but displaying no wind arrows. With the new pricing just published, I'm now interested in the upgrade to NXi Phase II, but only if I can take full advantage of its capabilities (to include visual approach guidance).

Can anyone with Iridium satellite data (Legacy or NXi G1000) please verify whether or not you get wind arrows in Profile view?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Dave: You're suggesting we should be seeing winds aloft from the GTX345R and without satellite wx?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:58 pm Dave: You're suggesting we should be seeing winds aloft from the GTX345R and without satellite wx?
Yes, here's what it says in the DA62 NXi Phase II manual:

If the FIS-B option is installed and FIS-B is the active data link weather source, the Winds Aloft weather product also displays temperatures aloft next to the winds aloft arrows on the ‘Map -Weather Data Link (FIS-B)’ Page.

But they're not displayed on the Vertical Situation Display (aka Profile View) unless you have SXM weather services. Here's another note from the DA62 NXi Phase II manual:
NOTE: Winds Aloft information will not be available on the VSD Inset Window if FIS-B is the active data link weather source.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ultraturtle wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:40 pmCan anyone with Iridium satellite data (Legacy or NXi G1000) please verify whether or not you get wind arrows in Profile view?
I don't use Garmin Connext Weather service, since in North America SiriusXM satellite weather is so much better. But here's what it says in the DA62 NXi Phase II manual:

Headwind and tailwind components aloft are available inside the Vertical Situation Display (VSD) on the 'Map - Navigation Map' Page when the SiriusXM or Garmin Connext Weather service is the active data link weather source. The displayed components are relative to current aircraft altitude and track, but not to aircraft speed.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

Can anyone with Iridium satellite data AKA Garmin Connext Weather Service, (Legacy or NXi G1000) please verify whether or not you get wind arrows in Profile view?