DA40 vs. Cirrus SR20

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA40 vs. Cirrus SR20

Post by Steve »

jast wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 pm If you fully stall a DA40 (and even a DA62) with stick at the rear limit and you stabilize the stall with rudder it will just descend 700-900fpm while slowly waving from left to right. This is about the same speed as the Cirrus parachute. To be fair it still flys forward, so it’s not comparable. But impressive!
That was dubbed the "Falling Leaf" maneuver on the old Diamond forum. I also like demonstrating flying around with the Stall warning horn blaring at 42 KIAS, holding altitude, making gentle turns. Never fails to impress other pilots.

Steve
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

jast wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 pm If you fully stall a DA40 (and even a DA62) with stick at the rear limit and you stabilize the stall with rudder it will just descend 700-900fpm while slowly waving from left to right. This is about the same speed as the Cirrus parachute.
Actually a Cirrus descends under parachute at about 1700 fpm.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 am
jast wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 pm If you fully stall a DA40 (and even a DA62) with stick at the rear limit and you stabilize the stall with rudder it will just descend 700-900fpm while slowly waving from left to right. This is about the same speed as the Cirrus parachute.
But with very little lateral speed though subject to winds, of course.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
JTMedEd
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N49WJ
Airports: KMMU

Post by JTMedEd »

mbitran wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:05 pm
If I bought a new one I would consider putting it in DiamondShare. Does anyone have experience with that program?
Marco, I'm in the process of purchasing a DA40 NG with the Diamondshare program. Happy to discuss my (admittedly minimal) experience with the program. Feel free to PM me. If you can't find an NG near Boston, I know that Take Flight in Montgomery, NY, has a brand new DA40 NG available for training.
mbitran
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marco
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: n920LA
Airports: KOWD

Post by mbitran »

We made the same decision! Would love to chat. Will send you a message thank you.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

Here is a nice new video about the safety features of the DA62. As mentioned in the video many of these are valid for the DA40 as well:

ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Rich wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 am
CFIDave wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 am
But with very little lateral speed though subject to winds, of course.
Consider the case of 21 KT wind at the surface. In the Cirrus chute, you crunch uncontrollaby at 1700 fpm and 21 KT ground speed into whatever obstacle happens to be in your path. In the DA40 "Shaking Leaf" scenario, you steer into the wind and continue to fly the aircraft around any obstacles, touching down at that same 21 KT ground speed, but at less than half the vertical velocity of the Cirrus in chute.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Consider the case of 21 KT wind at the surface. In the Cirrus chute, you crunch uncontrollaby at 1700 fpm and 21 KT ground speed into whatever obstacle happens to be in your path. In the DA40 "Shaking Leaf" scenario, you steer into the wind and continue to fly the aircraft around any obstacles, touching down at that same 21 KT ground speed, but at less than half the vertical velocity of the Cirrus in chute.
All very true, however if I was in IMC over mountains or other difficult terrain, or water, a chute to pull is a very good option to have.

It will be interesting to see if Diamond will offer a chute on the DA50. Again, just my view that others may not agree with, but I think if the DA50 has a chute as standard or as an option, they have potential to take some serious share from Cirrus. The market has spoken, a chute on single engine aircraft makes sense to a lot of people - especially those people who buy new single engine aircraft - otherwise Cirrus would not be as successful as they are. Granted, Cirrus has a number of other benefits that have resonated with the market, yet the chute is a key differentiator and will continue to be so.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

AndrewM wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm All very true, however if I was in IMC over mountains or other difficult terrain, or water, a chute to pull is a very good option to have.
This has been tried a few times and has not turned out well in all but one that I'm aware of. The most extreme was this: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=44566

AndrewM wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm It will be interesting to see if Diamond will offer a chute on the DA50. Again, just my view that others may not agree with, but I think if the DA50 has a chute as standard or as an option, they have potential to take some serious share from Cirrus. The market has spoken, a chute on single engine aircraft makes sense to a lot of people - especially those people who buy new single engine aircraft - otherwise Cirrus would not be as successful as they are. Granted, Cirrus has a number of other benefits that have resonated with the market, yet the chute is a key differentiator and will continue to be so.
Totally agree.

(Yes, I know the two statements above appear to be in opposition of each other, but one is about the "truth" of parachutes and the situation, the other answer is about the power of marketing.)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

pietromarx wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 pm
AndrewM wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm All very true, however if I was in IMC over mountains or other difficult terrain, or water, a chute to pull is a very good option to have.
This has been tried a few times and has not turned out well in all but one that I'm aware of. The most extreme was this: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=44566

AndrewM wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm It will be interesting to see if Diamond will offer a chute on the DA50. Again, just my view that others may not agree with, but I think if the DA50 has a chute as standard or as an option, they have potential to take some serious share from Cirrus. The market has spoken, a chute on single engine aircraft makes sense to a lot of people - especially those people who buy new single engine aircraft - otherwise Cirrus would not be as successful as they are. Granted, Cirrus has a number of other benefits that have resonated with the market, yet the chute is a key differentiator and will continue to be so.
Totally agree.

(Yes, I know the two statements above appear to be in opposition of each other, but one is about the "truth" of parachutes and the situation, the other answer is about the power of marketing.)
I love how people cherry accidents :)
You pull the chute outside design envelop, you are now in a test plane.

Tim