Angel City Flyers - IRA KLGB

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Angel City Flyers - IRA KLGB

Post by NDCDA62 »

Yesterday, I successfully passed my FAA Multiengine Land Instrument Airplane Oral exam and Check Ride in a DA62, perhaps the most exacting test I have ever taken in my life!! I trained at Angel City Flyers based at KLGB and the instruction has been nothing short of fantastic. Cary Jones, ACF's CFI is simply the best - cool, calm and collective.

For those interested, around 4 months ago, I started my theory preparation in Europe using King Schools IRA course, comprising of some 13 hours of video. This course was invaluable as it provided all the background knowledge I needed. John Becker, also a DA62 Owner, was very helpful in advising me to test my knowledge using the Sheppard Air Q&A software program, which I did. The structured learning process enabled me to attain 95% pass mark in the FAA Knowledge test. The least number of wrong answers you get the better as these are then followed up during the FAA oral exam. I would strongly recommend to anyone to get the knowledge test out of the way before starting the practical flying part, as you are more than pre-occupied with the latter once you get started.

KLGB and the surrounding area is a very busy airspace with a lot of traffic, fast speaking ATC, all within a relatively small concentrated area. This really kept me on my toes and if you can handle this then you are pretty well set up for anywhere else in the world. The DA62 performed brilliantly and, after a lot of hand flying, more and more Autopilot was gradually introduced. I now know the Garmin G1000 NXi intimately and really feel comfortable with all its features. Night flying was also a great experience, where I logged 7.5 hours including 13 takeoff/landings.

Angel City Flyers, one of only two Diamond Brilliance Flight Training Centers in the U.S., has a very good team in place who afford every assistance and I have no hesitation in recommending them for training, be it SEL, MEL or IRA.

For those based in the U.S., you are very fortunate to have such a pro-G.A. environment and it has been an absolute privilege flying in your airspace!! My cross county IFR exercise took me from KLGB to Hayward Executive KHWD, to Monterey Regional KMRY and back to KLGB using exactly 70 U.S. gallons - amazing! I also visited Henderson Executive KHND, Yuma KNYL, as well as 12 other airports in between.

Happy Landings !

Nigel
Attachments
Foggles over Burbank.jpg
DA62 KLGB.jpg
DA62 KLGB.jpg (8.98 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Re: Angel City Flyers - IRA KLGB

Post by jb642DA »

Very nice write-up of your training!!

Congratulations Nigel!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Congratulations!
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

Congratulations Nigel! What do you have to do now to fly IFR with D-I registered Aircrafts?
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by NDCDA62 »

Thanks Jan 🙏.

Now that I have 50+ hours PIC IR, all that remains is to have a check ride with the German EASA examiner already lined up in Germany.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

What is a Diamond Brilliance Training Center, what does it take to be one, who awards the designation, and where is the list posted? Congratulations on your new certificate!
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by NDCDA62 »

Thanks Paul 🙏.

I understand that Diamond Brilliance Flight Center operators are hand-picked by Diamond Aircraft to provide high standard flight training and aircraft rental services. The centers use Diamond aircraft and flight training devices exclusively.

No doubt Diamond Aircraft London has more details.
lucaslogan
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: LUCAS
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N805ER
Airports: KHHR

Post by lucaslogan »

Does Diamond have standardized training for schools and instructors? Anything similar to Cirrus Approach?
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by NDCDA62 »

I attended the Diamond DA62 Systems Training and MEP course in Weiner Neustadt Austria which provided an intimate and absolute fascinating insight into the design, characteristics and workings of the aircraft.

The in-depth knowledge, incredible detail and practical tips imparted by the Diamond Team, having thousands of Diamond aircraft hours under their belts, has been absolutely invaluable since taking delivery of my DA62. To attend this course was the best decision I ever made and have no hesitation in recommending it.

I am sure a lot of this knowledge is also imparted to the Diamond Brilliance Flight Training Centers, so well worth enquiring with Diamond directly.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

lucaslogan wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:15 am Does Diamond have standardized training for schools and instructors? Anything similar to Cirrus Approach?
In short, no.

The Austrian factory has put together a few training presentations that are used only by the Diamond's own flight school (e.g., the Diamond Flight Centre in London, Ontario). But these presentations are not distributed to other flight schools or instructors.

As with sales, Diamond leaves it up to its distributors to provide customer transition training (if they provide training at all; some don't have anyone experienced to instruct in particular models) as part of new aircraft delivery. Diamond has nothing comparable to Cirrus' program.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI