Autopilots are the answer, not the problem...

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Autopilots are the answer, not the problem...

Post by TwinStarScott »

The above discussion between Emir and Tommy perfectly illustrates why Dynon is a breath of fresh air. Because the legacy fleet currently has a golden opportunity to completely bypass the Garmin-Diamond partnership and start anew, with a single source company that has been carefully structured to provide first class customer service*.

Yet Emir and I can’t do this alone. As now is the time for all legacy G1000 owners (especially those with KAP140 A/P’s) to take positive action by weighing in their support for such an initiative. And one that holds tremendous promise for a cost-effective avionics’ solution to our NXi/GFC700 dilemma.

*at some future point, there is a brief story I can share as it relates to this.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

The Aerostar community has been waiting for years and I mean like three or four years to get the S-TEC 3100 STC’d for the Aerostar. All Genesis was asking for was for about 20 people to place orders so they could begin the STC process that would take about a year maybe a year and a half. Not a lot of people to commit and there are a lot of Aerostars with auto pilots that are crap. For whatever reason people just do not want to commit. Genesis wants to stc the 3100, however, they are not going to lose money on the endeavor. If you want new systems stc’d for Diamond, people have to commit.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

This is rather remarkable that owners of the fastest GA piston twin haven’t successfully organized years ago to have the STEC 3100 certified. I also find it almost nearly as surprising the steam gauge DA40 owners haven’t yet organized to encourage Garmin to have the G5 STC’d, if not the GFC500 as well. While thirty to thirty five thousand dollars for the STEC 3100 is certainly a lot of money for an A/P, it’s a problem and price point the TDI DA42 / KAP140 owners would absolutely love to have.

As any funds spent repairing a KAP140 is akin to throwing money “down the drain” and even with low numbers of the non-G1000 DA40’s, it would still seem quite possible to organize a google doc’s sign-up sheet for the G5 & GFC500 and then even a separate one for the STEC 3100.

Also, at one-point Garmin International did own a DA40. However, a recent FAA database search appears this may no longer be the case. Last I heard, Garmin AT in Salem, Oregon was flight testing GFC A/P’s for numerous airframes and just as fast as they possibly could. In many cases, Garmin was even taking aircraft on loan from private owners. As recently as last February, I overheard a deHavilland Beaver owner lobbying the Garmin sales rep to certify this make and model. To which the sales rep indicated his airframe could be moved up in the que if he would allow his plane to be used for flight testing. By contrast, when I discussed the possibility of using my DA42 as for flight testing, Robert Hamilton said his company would simply go out and buy their own TDI for this purpose.
As such, Tommy’s statement bears repeating: “If you want new systems stc’d for Diamond, people have to commit.”
And speaking of Dynon again, all that is needed here is a simple sign-up sheet expressing our interest in having an alternative to the G1000. No deposit required. And we can’t even seem to do this.

So, if this apathy continues from DAN members, we will soon collectively be handing Cirrus owners one big Christmas gift and this forum will not be nearly reaching its full potential (in terms of organizing ourselves for cost effective products the fleet badly needs and rightly deserves: which is to remain airworthy well into the future with current avionics and technology).
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Yes, none of it makes sense for Aerostar owners, or, Diamond Owners. Quite frankly, it’s dumbfounding. Weird human behavior i guess.
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

I talked to Garmin about the an STC for the 500. They claim it is up to Diamond to start that process. I don't agree. anyone can start an STC process if they think they can profitably introduce it. the process should be relatively simple for Garmin to complete one that works with the G1000. Has to be simpler then when they added the KAP140.
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU