New Cirrus Trainer

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: New Cirrus Trainer

Post by Colin »

Oh, I forgot about variable pitch. But I'm pretty sure that I read last year that they were allowing checkrides with a simulated landing gear switch.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:41 pm
Colin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:30 pm You can make fun of the landing gear switch, but it teaches a flow for the landing and allows them to take a Commercial ticket checkride, and they will probably move on to a complex twin from there.
No they can't - retractable gear and variable prop pitch is required.
No longer. For ASEL/S TAA may be substituted for complex. This is a relatively recent change due the scarcity of said complex aircraft these days. No retractable gear required, real or pretend. Cirri already meet the requirements for TAA without such a doodad.

When I took my CFI PT I had to demonstrate emergency gear extension. No fun in a C-210. I don't recall needing to do that for Commercial, but it was 46 years ago.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

Colin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:30 pm You can make fun of the landing gear switch, but it teaches a flow for the landing and allows them to take a Commercial ticket checkride, and they will probably move on to a complex twin from there.
Not true.. the FAA has dropped the requirement for the traditional complex aircraft and the training and the check ride can now be done in the new definition of a “complex” aircraft, which is now called a “TAA”. Technically advanced aircraft. It must have a PFD, MFD, and a two axis autopilot..
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Airports:

Post by greg »

Colin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:30 pm You can make fun of the landing gear switch, but it teaches a flow for the landing ...
I have long wanted one of these in my planes. As long as it squeals if I try to land with the "gear" up, such a switch would indeed help my flow. I have had a retractable endorsement for over 20 years, but probably logged only about 10 hours of retract time. I have a real fear of lending wheels-up the next time I happen to be in a retractable gear plane.

Granted, it won't remind me to raise the gear on takeoff, but that's not nearly as interesting a failure mode as forgetting to lower them at the other end of the flight. And, for a $20 piece of equipment (sorry, it's in an aeroplane, $500 piece of equipment) it seems like cheap insurance to me.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Emir, retractable gear is no longer required. I can do the commercial ticket in my DA40 now.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Obviously it’s different in US than in EASA-land.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Not anymore.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ight-tests

Tim
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

TimS wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 pm
Not anymore.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ight-tests

Tim
Surprisingly there’s some flying outside FAA jurisdiction :)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:56 pm I like landing gear knob that does nothing :) That will definitely not promote safety because the pilot doesn't have any feedback on lifting/extending gear except three greens, no IAS/ROC climb increase when lifting up, no positive feedback in decreasing IAS with same engine setting when lowering, no change in pitch to maintain approach speed… only one useless switch added to checklist.
This system frightened the life out of me on a Beechcraft one day. I was tasked to taxi the aircraft a short distance from parking to maintenance. I did a brief walk around, checked the oil, jumped in and started it up. It was about then that I noticed the gear lever in the up position and the light was red. My brain immediately panicked, moving the lever to down and shutting down the engine. A few seconds later my brain caught up with, Hang on isn't it fixed gear? A quick look under the wing confirmed it was fixed gear and the switch just changes the colour of the lights. :shock: :scream:
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

ememic99 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 pm Surprisingly there’s some flying outside FAA jurisdiction :)
Yes, and almost no country in the world has the US Commercial ticket requirements. So the point is moot.

Tim