Alternate PNW Oshkosh?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Alternate PNW Oshkosh?

Post by Colin »

Got to finally meet up with Scott Sutton in person. I can't believe I didn't take a single picture of the interior of his plane, but the paint job outside doesn't give you enough warning. Since Scott lives within steps of his plane (something I would like to do and something I am pretty sure my wife would only want me to do if I were living separately), any time he thinks of a little improvement he can stroll over and put it in there.

You remember those guys that put the big fat tires on 1950s cars and painted flames along the hood? They really don't come close to this sort of customization. I feel like Diamond could stick a video camera in there for an hour and learn a few things to do in the DA52's interior as they get closer. Everything right where you need it, and everything you need in there.

I also learned something, since we met at Anacortes airport (cheap fuel in the PNW) and I got there first: the DA42 landing is almost silent. Just the diesels ticking over at near-idle and the gentlest of chirps as the tires touch. But you could invade in a fleet of these and they would never hear you coming. The DA62 is apparently quieter. Hard to imagine.

Scott should add just ONE or two pictures of things in his cockpit so people can understand. I saw little packets along the edge where the seatbelt runs and asked about them. Three little separate packs of AA batteries, in cool pockets and are velcro'd to the cockpit B column, and held in special holders that keep the batteries safe and isolated. That's one tiny thing. So clever.

Our selfie game needs some work. We didn't park thinking about it. We should have been able to get us with both planes, and there ARE parts of both planes, but we needed some help from some YouTubers or something.
Attachments
IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_5935.JPG
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Alternate PNW Oshkosh?

Post by Boatguy »

Ok Scott! Post a few pics!