The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks much guys!
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

One point the Diamond document made me think of :

It mentions the WAAS upgrade for approx. 25k€.
But up to date, in EASA world, even if you manage to get hold of the correct GIA63W units with required paperwork, you have to pay 10K€ for the Urbe STC n10048207.
Even Diamond would have you buy the Urbe STC to have your GIA63W installed.

It is crazy if you think of it, as 1) this is not needed in FAA world and 2) some of the later DA42tdi rolled off the line with GIA63W already installed (so while I am not familiar with the certification process I assume Diamond has the relevant approvals).

I strongly believe that Diamond should come up with a solution to avoid paying this STC authorisation.

It would be very useful to EASA based operators if DAN representatives could clarify this aspect with Diamond during the next meeting.

I already discussed this point with Emir but I thought it would be useful to discuss it with the wider community.

I take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in the "G1000 project" for their great work !
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

salim wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 am I strongly believe that Diamond should come up with a solution to avoid paying this STC authorisation.
I agree on this and in addition I question these $25k as overpriced.
salim wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 am It would be very useful to EASA based operators if DAN representatives could clarify this aspect with Diamond during the next meeting.

I already discussed this point with Emir but I thought it would be useful to discuss it with the wider community.
The problem is that we struggle to onboard wider community. The number of Diamond aircrafts is still bigger in Europe than in USA but the number of owners that we managed to contact and/or who are the members of DAI forum is much much lower.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

I have not yet gotten through the entire letter - but I want to personally thank those involved in this project and the meetings for your efforts and progress. THANK YOU ! Keep up the great work!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

reinhardj wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:09 pm We should request an upgrade path to GDU 15 also for the DA40 TDI.
It seems that non-WAAS aircrafts will be limited to GDU 12.
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

Emir,
This would not be a problem if Diamond would release the 12.3 for all TDI instead of only being certfied for the chinese TDI.
I have WAAS with the Urbe STC...
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

At least the following features are missing or limitations exist for 12.3 in the TDI:
- flight data logging missing
- database sync missing (according to Garmin available since version 10)
- flightstream support missing
- some Garmin problems are only solved in later versions
- Garmin Service Advisory 1047 (LNAV/VNAV limitations..) solved in 12.10
- Garmin Service Advisory 1344 (LNAV/VNAV limitations..) solved in 15.0
- Garmin Service Advisory 1372, solved in 15.0
As also TDI with WAAS and 12.03 exist, versions with solutions for the Garmin Service Advisories should be available. This requires version 15.0 also for the DA40TDI.
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Has it occurred to anyone else that the announced program to make WAAS-enabled GIA63Ws available for retrofit replacement of existing GIA63s appears to be a total sham, as it’s limited to only those GIA63W units that become “surplussed” when an existing G1000 system is replaced by a new NXi system? Even then it appears that the used, surplus GIA63W units are being sold for their original new prices, and it’s not even clear whether they are being checked or recertified by Garmin. As I previously posted, I had purchased a pair of used GIA63Ws, and Garmin refused to even touch them despite my willingness to pay.

Sandy
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Sandy, right now, it's unclear what owners stuck with non-WAAS GIA63s would be willing to pay to add WAAS to their airplanes, regardless of the specific implementation. Based on the responses Diamond has seen on previous WAAS upgrade offers, the supply approach has not been seen as a limitation. It's been owners willing to spend money. That said, the 'value' of a WAAS upgrade has increased as more and more WAAS approaches are put into service and also as a requirement for SVT. So it's timely to reconsider "what's WAAS worth".

1. What would you pay to add WAAS and get a system/GDU software update to your legacy G1000 system?
2. What would you pay to "overhaul" your whole avionics system to G1000 NXI (with WAAS)?
3. What things did you consider when coming up with those two numbers?

There are over 1000 legacy G1000 planes that could use a WAAS upgrade but so far the number of owners willing to put money on the table is less than two handfuls. We owners plan to overhaul our engines, why not an avionics HW overhaul?

Additional answers/perspectives invited...

Many thanks!
Paul
Last edited by chili4way on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

Some of the dollar figures I’ve seen are a little scary. I know some pilots (not that many, it seems) have money laying around, but I think many of us sacrifice other things so we can fly. Then we buy an airplane that fits the budget. Unfortunately, it seems that in a modern cockpit, upgrading may cost close to what the airplane cost. I’d like WAAS, especially for the other possibilities it opens up. But as a VFR pilot, what I’d really like is to activate SVT and maybe be able to transfer a flight plan from ForeFlight directly to the G1000, without spending the equivalent of buying another airplane.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R