The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by salim »

Thanks a lot to all those involved in this great initiative !

Three questions :

1) will DAI Austrian management be involved as well?

2) @TwinStarScott, is there an alternative way to add aircrafts on your list? I fell we could add many more European aircrafts on the list, but it would be easier if I could suggest the owners to send an email to a dedicated address (rather than registering on the forum).

3) should we try to involve large operators? (Flight schools)
Or was it tried already ?

Best,
Salim
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

my 2 cents on the agenda..

- great ideas already in there!
- I would remove the topics on Diamond Parts Service in the US... Garmin can not support there.. it's a separate topic, that should be addressed in a separate meeting.. full focus should be on "how to deal with airframes that can live 75years and avionics that last only 15 years.."
- So far we the petition has a strong focus on the US.. I guess because WAAS and ADSB being there further advanced than in Europe.. however, the majority of DA40/DA42 operates in Europe.. just the awareness of the issues is not big enough in Europe.. lets make sure we find ways to add them.. create more push... and lets also find solutions that can be implemented in EASA land...
- how are others dealing with the issue... Bonanza G36, various cessna's, Cirrus... anything to learn from?
- Question Garmin, why they can not produce a GIA64 that is downwards compatible...

many thx for driving the initiative... it is sooo much needed!
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

salim wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:28 am Thanks a lot to all those involved in this great initiative !

Three questions :

1) will DAI Austrian management be involved as well?

2) @TwinStarScott, is there an alternative way to add aircrafts on your list? I fell we could add many more European aircrafts on the list, but it would be easier if I could suggest the owners to send an email to a dedicated address (rather than registering on the forum).

3) should we try to involve large operators? (Flight schools)
Or was it tried already ?

Best,
Salim
I guess I can try to reply to all questions.

1) Yes.
2) Yes. You can share my e-mail address (I believe you have it, if not I can PM it). I tried this method mailing to 20 or so owners but the response was quite low. Also, I tried to invite people via other aviation forums but with limited success.
3) It’s more than welcome but it seems that they are even less responsive; they might have some better arrangements with DAI.
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

Thank you Emir for your answers.
Can you please pm me your email? I don’t think I have it
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

When I was in the market for my first new aircraft, it was a choice between an SR20 and a DA40D, so I joined COPA and DAN's predecessor and learned as much as I could from existing owners. It became an easy decision, when I learned about their relative safety records, and the unreliability of the Avidyne avionics which were installed in Cirrus aircraft in those days. I wonder how many potential buyers of Diamond aircraft have visited DAN, as part of their due diligence, and decided not to proceed? Perhaps the moderators should start a topic on this in the Public forum, inviting comments from newcomers in that category. That sort of information ought to make Diamond sit up and take notice. I don't think I'd make the mistake again of buying an aircraft with software driven avionics which could only be updated by replacing the aircraft.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Keith, it's probably not just newcomers. As we all move through our aviation "lifestyle" and the mission changes or family change (and kids grow) our requirements for the right bird for the most common mission evolves. For me, I am super happy right now in the DA40, however in time I will be considering something that can carry more weight, go faster, and has FIKI.

I have flown the DA42 and really like it, however I think I am happy sticking with a single. So for me the future might be a SR22 or a DA50. Constantly scanning both the Diamond and Cirrus owner forums, and seeing the continual focus on taking on customer feedback from Cirrus, access to spare parts in a timely manner and various other factors, I wonder how many people will buy a DA50 vs a Cirrus, or for those owners of Cirrus who buy a new one every 3-5 years (and let me tell you there are a lot of those folks out there) sell their SR22 to go into a DA50? Time will tell, but I think Diamond will have an uphill battle to gain meaningful share from Cirrus with the DA50 unless they can inspire more owner confidence that they will be taken care of.

With regards to the Forum, in addition to a "Newcomers" section, I think it would be great if a new section called "Commercial Forum" could be added. Various suppliers could highlight offers, answer owner technical questions and so on. Tell us about new offering suitable for our aircraft and so on.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Keith,

I stated it before. I was wavering between my last plane purchase or one to last the next five years; which would have been used.
The G1000 issue was the deal killer for me for both Diamond options I considered. It made me much more receptive to the partnership I am in on an early SR22.

Tim
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

salim wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:42 pm Thank you Emir for your answers.
Can you please pm me your email? I don’t think I have it
Sent. Let me know if you get it, recently there were some problems with PMs.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

hkavasch wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:27 am - So far we the petition has a strong focus on the US.. I guess because WAAS and ADSB being there further advanced than in Europe.. however, the majority of DA40/DA42 operates in Europe.. just the awareness of the issues is not big enough in Europe.. lets make sure we find ways to add them.. create more push... and lets also find solutions that can be implemented in EASA land...
- how are others dealing with the issue... Bonanza G36, various cessna's, Cirrus... anything to learn from?
- Question Garmin, why they can not produce a GIA64 that is downwards compatible...
Please feel free to surface Europe specific issues; ememic99 is a good point of contact who can bring those to the meeting.

Cirrus issues regular software updates and we're hoping to learn why Diamond does not. Bonanza, etc. were certified with steam gauges and are able to get hardware upgrades from any vendor that obtains an STC. Thereafter those owners can get software updates directly from the avionics vendor.

I'm sure it's technically feasible to produce a GIA64 that is backwards compatible so I suspect the reason is lack of market to justify the engineering and certification expense. But we hope to gain a better understanding of those nuances.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Good evening! I joined this forum specifically as a result of this thread; I have been considering possible purchase of a piston twin, and this is all quite troubling to me. I’m curious about the lack of commitment to provide software upgrades for available NXi features. One question - if an owner goes through the full upgrade to NXi Phase 1 or even Phase 2, will the company provide software updates for Phase 1 or Phase 2 NXi owners??

Thanks and good luck at the meeting.