The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by AndrewM »

Colin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:24 pm For resale value, continuous upgrades to the software, and an airframe which is tweaked pretty incessantly, should every pilot of means purchase a Cirrus if they are looking at a single-engine plane?
I think this will become an issue with the DA50 vs SR22: They will both likely be around similar price points, yet other things that have all been mentioned here will also factor into the purchase decision. Today I was getting the front canopy latch fixed on the DA40. The mechanic was showing me how difficult and fussy the process was. He said he should call Diamond to get some advice, but then pointed at two SR22's in the shop, he said he could pick up the phone almost anytime and get through to maintenance and get quick answers all the time from them, however he would be lucky to get a good answer out of Diamond in a timely fashion.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I thought the response was pretty much as expected, though two months in responding in the age of email and texting...

Several things were missing from the response: actual availability dates, actual information, and actual commitments.

- The letter uses some very tangled language to say that they're committed to providing NXi upgrades, for example, but ... only as their schedules, priorities, and demand exist. Where on the list of priorities is this? Is it on the schedule? How are they measuring demand (other than this being the biggest topic in DAN history...)?

- The rough costs are high, of course. Adding a GTX-345R to my G1000 DA40 cost a little more than half of what they're quoting. Huh?

- The FAA mandate for ADS-B is fast approaching and the rebate period has ended, yet they still don't have a date for manufacturer-supported installation of ADS-B. Now (or two years ago) would be a nice time to know when.

- Who are the "key members" they're referring to that apparently represent us all? Did I miss an election or something? (Sorry, Boatguy, Scott, et al ... I appreciate what you've done, but let's talk!)

- What is the difference between NXi Phase 1 and 2? Why do the (new) GIA-64Ws have to be replaced? What's the info, folks?

Such a tangled web.

I would simply like to know when my options today to keep my G1000 DA-40 current -- which are literally none -- will open up.

Thanks to everyone for their work on this. It is much appreciated.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

pietromarx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 am Who are the "key members" they're referring to that apparently represent us all? Did I miss an election or something? (Sorry, Boatguy, Scott, et al ... I appreciate what you've done, but let's talk!)
The letter indeed refers to “key members” although none of us who signed the letter presented himself in such role. We even didn’t state we were any kind of representatives of anyone. We are just group of owners who agreed to share our concerns with DAI management in public letter after we’ve been trying to address this issue for more than six months via some direct contacts in DAI and Garmin. This interpretation is made by author of reply and I’m sure none of us would be willing to take some role of negotiator on behalf of other owners. However, someone had to make this first move and at least we got reply which we can use as a basis for opening all related topics and asking questions.

Unfortunately, lack of systematic approach to customer support has led to current situation of many combinations of HW/SW within relatively small set of components and within not so big community of owners. If DAI really wants to resolve the problem they should lower their appetite and for the first time in their history try not to punish their loyal customers for being early adopters.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Or... DIA could do something really simple and cheap like run an owner forum webinar (perhaps 2 times per year?), where the new CEO outlines his vision for the future of the company, new product roadmap, projected timing, present on key focus topics like the software issues, and then answer questions from owners who join the webinar, as best he can. Oh... and provide an update on a key product like the DA62 to encourage owners to upgrade? Obviously there would be questions submitted during such a forum that the CEO or staff may not be willing or able to answer. That is absolutely to be expected and perfectly OK to say they cannot answer nor commit to something "... but we hear you DIA owners and we are looking into that!". But geeeez, it's not that hard to do something like this, costs DIA virtually nothing except a little preparation time and planning, and I for one would sign up for such a webinar.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

ememic99 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:04 pm
pietromarx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 am Who are the "key members" they're referring to that apparently represent us all? Did I miss an election or something? (Sorry, Boatguy, Scott, et al ... I appreciate what you've done, but let's talk!)
The letter indeed refers to “key members” although none of us who signed the letter presented himself in such role. We even didn’t state we were any kind of representatives of anyone. We are just group of owners who agreed to share our concerns with DAI management in public letter after we’ve been trying to address this issue for more than six months via some direct contacts in DAI and Garmin. This interpretation is made by author of reply and I’m sure none of us would be willing to take some role of negotiator on behalf of other owners. However, someone had to make this first move and at least we got reply which we can use as a basis for opening all related topics and asking questions.

Unfortunately, lack of systematic approach to customer support has led to current situation of many combinations of HW/SW within relatively small set of components and within not so big community of owners. If DAI really wants to resolve the problem they should lower their appetite and for the first time in their history try not to punish their loyal customers for being early adopters.
Totally understand and agree. My comment was just that -- not a criticism. It is more an observation of how DAI is looking at its customers. This is a pretty active community (in my opinion) with a lot of motivated smart people looking for responsiveness. The company has an asset here -- its customers -- and should be sophisticated and considered in how it responds to us all. In other markets we would be seeing a company realizing that it has a number of customers interested in upsales and upgrades ... and working more closely with us. At least I think so.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Customer oriented marketing and support is mindset which more than pays for itself in sales and margins.

Look at Apple. You buy a phone for $800 and they will sit and train you 1:1 at a store, they will take your phone calls and talk with you until the problem is solved, they will call back to be sure it is solved and they'll give you a free software upgrade every year with new features. Their margins and net profits defy comparison, especially considering they have only a 10% - 20% market share in virtually every product category.

Responsive customer service is not a cost, it's the path to building both the top line and the bottom line.
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

pietromarx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 am

- What is the difference between NXi Phase 1 and 2?

I have a 42-VI which was the first one in Australia to be fitted with NXi, so I assume I have phase 1, but I would love the information on what Phase 1 and 2 differences are, if anyone knows or can point me to the information.

Cheers

David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Biggest difference is the GIA64Ws versus the "discontinued" GIA63Ws in our "Phase One NXis"

See viewtopic.php?t=6643&start=320#p73779 for more info on other differences of "Phase II NXi" versus the "legacy NXi"!! - this pertains to the DA42 and 62, along with the DA40NG BoatGuy is talking about.
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

dselder1962 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:43 am
pietromarx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 am

- What is the difference between NXi Phase 1 and 2?

I have a 42-VI which was the first one in Australia to be fitted with NXi, so I assume I have phase 1, but I would love the information on what Phase 1 and 2 differences are, if anyone knows or can point me to the information.

Cheers

David
You may have missed my post buried in another thread that explains NXi Phase I vs. Phase II:

viewtopic.php?p=75089#p75089

This should help with understanding Diamond's response letter to owners.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

Dave's note is very helpful indeed. I would not find it particularly useful to be at NXi phase II ... unless the software issue raises its head again.