The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by pietromarx »

Is there a reason why any shop couldn't do many of the upgrades (e.g. to NXi phase 1, etc.) once the software is provided (by Garmin / Diamond). None of the original WAAS upgrades , ADS-B installations, etc. have needed to be done by DAI itself, so why would box swaps be any different? DAI's prices look to be marked up around 50% pretty much across the board for equipment and installation.

Many of the questions raised in the threads above would then come down to working with one's shops.

There are going to be many permutations of equipment installations across the Diamond lines going forward. G1000 (7 flavors), ADS-B (3 flavors), AP (3 flavors), etc ... It seems doubtful that any two airplanes are going to be alike after 2021.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Great questions CFIDave!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

ememic99 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am
dselder1962 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am I did meet someone in the US once who thought Australia was Austria, and he complemented me on my excellent English skills... :lol:
Sometimes I better understand Austrians speaking English than Australians :D
:D
Emir
And to confuse the issue I am actually a Scot who lives in Australia. All my Australian mates say I sound as if I just got off the boat, and all my Scottish pals say I sound like Skippy... :roll:
David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Just a brief update on our "G1000 project."

October 10, 2019
During my visit to the London Diamond Canada factory to take delivery of a customer's new DA62, I happened to talk briefly with Scott McFadzean, Diamond Canada CEO. He encouraged me to send our questions about Diamond's letter directly to him.

October 13, 2019
I sent an email to Scott McFadzean that included all of the questions I had previously posted in this thread on DAN: viewtopic.php?p=76388#p76388

October 25, 2019
I got an email response from Ed Hollestelle, who manages Diamond's maintenance operation in London. Ed promised that he would be meeting with Scott MacFadzean next week to discuss our questions, develop answers, and make required amendments to the content of Diamond's letter.

As soon as I obtain a response, I'll post it here on DAN.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

As I read your separate topic post(s), which I understand you forwarded to Scott McFadzean, they covered hardware upgrades/updates. These are absolutely unanswered questions for legacy G1000 system owners.

However, Mr. McFadzean's response regarding software upgrades for owners of newer aircraft equipped with G1000NXi was also entirely deficient. The only commitment he would make was to issue software upgrades that correct "safety of flight" issues. This was extraordinarily disingenuous since Garmin issues those updates directly with no involvement from Diamond (e.g., latest GTX345R service bulletin re: traffic). DAI's position is effectively "Your airplane's avionics software is frozen when it leaves the factory." And that has certainly been the experience of anyone who has G1000NXi avionics.

Diamond's NXi implementation even falls short of matching the paper manual which is issued with the airplane. Even when the necessary hardware is already installed, the Diamond implementation entirely omits a number of features which are in the Diamond/Garmin manuals and available on other NXi implementations (Cirrus, Textron, Beechcraft, etc.). Garmin continues to issue s/w releases for NXi to correct bugs, enhance features, and add new features (e.g., latest FIS-B weather), but Diamond owners never see these improvements.

A lot of excuses were made rationalizing the treatment of "legacy" G1000 owners: the hard times that DAI went through, no way to support discontinued hardware, too many different hardware configurations, etc. While there are some hardware differences between the DA62/42/40, they don't impact things like supporting 3D audio or FIS-B weather products.

I will establish a thread which documents the "missing features" and then I would like to ask you to add this issue to your communication with Mr. McFadzean. In the absence of any new policy statement, Mr. McFadzean's statement in his response to the G1000 petition is what all sales personnel should be communicating to potential buyers of Diamond aircraft.
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Did anyone get an answer to the question:
Does Diamond get to keep the GIA63Ws (worth as much as $20K) as part of this upgrade?
If I can sell my GIA63w’s then it would bring the cost down to $5000-7000.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Ultrapilot1 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:50 pm Did anyone get an answer to the question:
Does Diamond get to keep the GIA63Ws (worth as much as $20K) as part of this upgrade?
If I can sell my GIA63w’s then it would bring the cost down to $5000-7000.
That's in the list of questions submitted to Diamond, for which we're currently awaiting a response.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:37 am As I read your separate topic post(s), which I understand you forwarded to Scott McFadzean, they covered hardware upgrades/updates. These are absolutely unanswered questions for legacy G1000 system owners.

However, Mr. McFadzean's response regarding software upgrades for owners of newer aircraft equipped with G1000NXi was also entirely deficient. The only commitment he would make was to issue software upgrades that correct "safety of flight" issues. This was extraordinarily disingenuous since Garmin issues those updates directly with no involvement from Diamond (e.g., latest GTX345R service bulletin re: traffic). DAI's position is effectively "Your airplane's avionics software is frozen when it leaves the factory." And that has certainly been the experience of anyone who has G1000NXi avionics.

Diamond's NXi implementation even falls short of matching the paper manual which is issued with the airplane. Even when the necessary hardware is already installed, the Diamond implementation entirely omits a number of features which are in the Diamond/Garmin manuals and available on other NXi implementations (Cirrus, Textron, Beechcraft, etc.). Garmin continues to issue s/w releases for NXi to correct bugs, enhance features, and add new features (e.g., latest FIS-B weather), but Diamond owners never see these improvements.

A lot of excuses were made rationalizing the treatment of "legacy" G1000 owners: the hard times that DAI went through, no way to support discontinued hardware, too many different hardware configurations, etc. While there are some hardware differences between the DA62/42/40, they don't impact things like supporting 3D audio or FIS-B weather products.

I will establish a thread which documents the "missing features" and then I would like to ask you to add this issue to your communication with Mr. McFadzean. In the absence of any new policy statement, Mr. McFadzean's statement in his response to the G1000 petition is what all sales personnel should be communicating to potential buyers of Diamond aircraft.
Russ: In my email to Diamond I also asked the question about NXi Phase I vs. Phase II support going forward (e.g., how long are they going to support two different software release trains). While I'm sure Diamond's response won't answer all of your concerns, we're at least starting a "conversation" between Diamond and owners.

I would encourage you to post the list of NXi "missing features" (e.g., Visual Approaches) so we can more easily point these out to Diamond in our continuing communications.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
tapiac2
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Christian
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FGNTS
Airports: LFPN

Post by tapiac2 »

Dear DAN members interested in solving the standing G1000 legacy issue.

I gave my vision and update in July here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6930&hilit=GIA63 and
I was happy to see that the forum thread was interrupted when Scott wrote to Scott McFadzean, CEO of DAI.
Mr. McFadzean's reply took a while, but it arrived...
so today, by email, I requested my GIA63W upgrade slot in Wiener Neustadt, with reference to DAN and Mr. McFadzean's letter.
The immediate reply was as if Mr. McFadzean's letter did not exist: "There are no GIA63W units available for upgrade".
Six weeks after Mr. McFadzean's letter, is the "process" not in place yet? Was his reply limited to US and Canada owners?
Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?  I am left speechless.

It is too soon to lose hope, I will give it a few more days and see what returns.
I have informed my DA42 maintenance shop of the issue. The boss there has several DA42 on hold for the same issue.
Will keep the community posted.

regards
Christian
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

I requested my GIA63W upgrade slot in Wiener Neustadt, with reference to DAN and Mr. McFadzean's letter.
The immediate reply was as if Mr. McFadzean's letter did not exist: "There are no GIA63W units available for upgrade".
Six weeks after Mr. McFadzean's letter, is the "process" not in place yet? Was his reply limited to US and Canada owners?
Hi Christian,

You raise a very good point, as the official DAI response from CEO Scott McFadzean states WAAS upgrades are available from “Diamond’s AMO” – which owners took to mean ANY Diamond AMO. Perhaps we’re mistaken.

Your post today further indicates inventory of used 63W’s are non-existent to extremely limited beyond North America, likely due to the vast majority of NXi Phase I owners viewing the quoted price for upgrading to Phase II hardware as unfavorable.

Also, for clarification:

1) the joint letter owners sent to Diamond on July 15th, was a total group effort by all the signatories, plus one other generous DAN member, who played a very key role.

2) for the record, I’m still waiting to hear back from the finance department at the London, Ontario factory regarding the terms and conditions of the WAAS deposit. A process which started in late September.

We’ll look forward to hearing any updates you might have from across the pond, as your aircraft should be eligible for the upgrade.