Going to OSHkosh 2019???

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Re: Going to OSHkosh 2019???

Post by dselder1962 »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 pm Will be there all week, working at the Diamond exhibit about 1/2-time.

Dave
Would you be kind enough to post whatever announcements Diamond makes either here or on another thread. They certainly said back at Avalon that they would have some major announcements to make at Oshkosh, so look forward to hearing what is finally released.
Thanks in advance

David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

See you at 1500
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Unfortunately I had to head home after a couple of wonderful days at the show. I never thought I would get to OSH, let alone fly in which was quite the experience that I will never forget, and hopefully do again. The GA camping was much better than I thought it would be, and the whole show is just massive -- a must-do.

Obviously I sought out the Diamond stand as a priority. Seemingly nothing new, and when I asked about "the announcement" I was told there would be one, but there was no guidance as to when/where and so on. I would have thought Diamond could have had some indication on when they would be making the announcement, or tried to organize a little event or something for owners / potential customers?? My buddy and I were invited to a bunch of cocktail and other functions from other manufacturers, and by the way not just Cirrus, but smaller outfits as well. The "cringe-worthy" moment was when I was looking at the DA62, there was a guy there who obviously was a genuine potential customer, asking all the right questions. The representative manning the DA62 display could hardly answer anything, and when asked about useful load they rep said "I don't really know much about them, and although it can have 7 seats it's essentially a 4 seater and room for a few bags". I know Diamond has a distributor / sales network model... but come on Diamond, a little "quality control" for those representing (and hopefully selling) your product?

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to fly the G2 Cirrus Vision Jet. I thought it was going to be an "autopilot on @ 500ft" type experience, but I was really blown away by this plane. We flew for about an hour, and I had the autopilot on for maybe 5 mins. The thing handles wonderfully. Put it into a stall... non-event. Steep turns were delightful. Landing has a weird kinda nose down sight picture, not bad... just something to get used to, like all different planes. Much better IMHO to hand fly than a SR22. Cirrus have been talking about how they have made the G2 cabin a lot more quiet than the G1... if that is indeed the case, the G1 must be REALLY noisy then. The plane I flew is circa $3m all-in with maintenance program and so on, so is in a very different price bracket to Diamond, however there is no doubt that over time there will be a relatively good size fleet of these planes. Quick video from yesterday's flight... takes a little while to load though... https://gopro.com/v/rD1mgn4y4ew1G
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Thanks to Bernie for nice chat yesterday. And CFIdave today. It was nice meeting you and have a face behind the forum nickname. We’ll start departing back home to Finland tomorrow, osh was just a great experience!

And yes, Diamond booth was a bit apathic, in terms of representatives and activity. We got water ”as owners” each day, but thats about it. We sat down, no one talked to us, folks just seemed to chats with other workers. This is just few brief glimpses of the booth staff...
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

AndrewM wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:05 pm Obviously I sought out the Diamond stand as a priority. Seemingly nothing new, and when I asked about "the announcement" I was told there would be one, but there was no guidance as to when/where and so on. I would have thought Diamond could have had some indication on when they would be making the announcement, or tried to organize a little event or something for owners / potential customers?? My buddy and I were invited to a bunch of cocktail and other functions from other manufacturers, and by the way not just Cirrus, but smaller outfits as well. The "cringe-worthy" moment was when I was looking at the DA62, there was a guy there who obviously was a genuine potential customer, asking all the right questions. The representative manning the DA62 display could hardly answer anything, and when asked about useful load they rep said "I don't really know much about them, and although it can have 7 seats it's essentially a 4 seater and room for a few bags". I know Diamond has a distributor / sales network model... but come on Diamond, a little "quality control" for those representing (and hopefully selling) your product?
Pehu wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am And yes, Diamond booth was a bit apathic, in terms of representatives and activity. We got water ”as owners” each day, but thats about it. We sat down, no one talked to us, folks just seemed to chats with other workers. This is just few brief glimpses of the booth staff...
Sorry to say that but these two quotes above show usual and unfortunately expected behavior and attitude from DAI side.
AndrewM wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:05 pm Yesterday I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to fly the G2 Cirrus Vision Jet. I thought it was going to be an "autopilot on @ 500ft" type experience, but I was really blown away by this plane. We flew for about an hour, and I had the autopilot on for maybe 5 mins. The thing handles wonderfully. Put it into a stall... non-event. Steep turns were delightful. Landing has a weird kinda nose down sight picture, not bad... just something to get used to, like all different planes. Much better IMHO to hand fly than a SR22. Cirrus have been talking about how they have made the G2 cabin a lot more quiet than the G1... if that is indeed the case, the G1 must be REALLY noisy then. The plane I flew is circa $3m all-in with maintenance program and so on, so is in a very different price bracket to Diamond, however there is no doubt that over time there will be a relatively good size fleet of these planes. Quick video from yesterday's flight... takes a little while to load though... https://gopro.com/v/rD1mgn4y4ew1G
Great opportunity, nice flight and video!
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

So this was my somewhat interesting route into OSH. We flew over lake Michigan and at that time we knew arrivals were closed, due to the prior rains making the ground too soft to park, however we we "hoping" it would be opened up around the time we arrived. So we flew over Ripon, then decided to enter the hold over Green Lake, wait a while and see what would happen. When entering the hold, the controller came on and said there would be delays to opening of AT LEAST 1.5hrs, so we diverted north and using my iPhone booked a hotel room for the night. On our way north I received a txt message from OSH saying GA Camping was now open, so we turned around and flew to Ripon, found a gap in the traffic, entered the Conga Line of traffic and in we went following the train tracks! I have to say, the new ForeFlight 3D flight review function in Track Logs is pretty cool, as I was able to review the entire approach with altitude, speed, bank angle (which was a little interesting turning final :shock: ) and so on.
Attachments
Ripon Approach.jpg
Final to Osh.jpg
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

I guess no announcement from Diamond? :)
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Makes me wonder if perhaps they have an STC or something going on with the FAA and were hoping to get the green light by Oshkosh. But didn't.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Pehu wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:59 pm I guess no announcement from Diamond? :)
Well I posted a Major Announcement in the “Hangar Talk” forum that announced there was no announcement.

It got promptly deleted because you know a sense of humor in the “Hangar Talk” forum is frowned upon. :roll: