Quick visit to San Jose: KJSC or KRHV?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Quick visit to San Jose: KJSC or KRHV?

Post by Lou »

We are going to San Jose for a quick visit week after next. This is new airspace for me. Judging from Foreflight reviews the top contenders for fields appear to be these two. Can anyone with local knowledge or experience please share their thoughts or views on which field is friendlier? KJSC is closer to where we need to be.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Quick visit to San Jose: KJSC or KRHV?

Post by Colin »

I like KSJC, but I have never landed Reid-Hillview. SJC is not cheap, but they usually have a crew car for me to run to get my passengers or jump to In-N-Out.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Not sure where you are going (and maybe RHV is the best), but guessing you are headed to the Peninsula (San Mateo County) or Silicon Valley (Santa Clara County). If so, Palo Alto or San Carlos is probably better and more convenient for you. Both are low-key, communal, and friendly. No airlines, no jets. I've done gazillions of landings at both. They will almost always be landing runway 29/30.

PAO (Palo Alto) is going through quite a bit of construction as they re-do the tarmac, etc. Transient parking is two rows to the south and, if necessary, along the fence. You will find the controllers to be very helpful; just let them know that this is the first time for you and they'll take care of you. Rabbit Aviation is the fueler and they're responsive. You can go in and out via any of the gates on the south side (new terminal building, very small, or through the various exits on the south west). Uber will grab you wherever.

SQL (San Carlos) is even easier. There is transient parking next to the administration building and restaurant on the east side of the runway. Two rows, very easy. Again, let the controllers know you're new and they'll take care of you. This airport is where most of the older Diamond folks learned how to fly as "Diamond Aviation" was actually a flight school here with a ton of DA20s. Uber will grab you at the restaurant (there's a gate next to it).

Your route of flight is what will make the whole thing very interesting to someone new to the airspace. It is busy and complicated with the airliners coming from the south tip-toeing in two lines into SFO or doing straight ins into OAK and SJC. Do not cross any routes and be on flight following. IFR into the bay area can be very easy or slightly annoying depending upon where you are coming from and going.

Just speaking of VFR, coming from the East there are low-level routes under the Class B that are fun; they go right above the water from Coyote Hills on the east side of the Bay that will take you straight to either PAO and SJC. Call the airport from the east side of the Bay as you hit the water.

If coming from the North then you will want to ask the approach controllers for a route or -- if you want to have some fun and ask confidently -- ask them for a low-level transition along the 101 freeway. This will take you from the Golden Gate bridge south along the 101 at ~1100 feet directly above the city, SFO, and peninsula. It is not to be missed, but be absolutely sure to keep the freeway where they tell you. Airliners will be taking off and landing underneath you.

I used to fly into SJC all the time, but it is really oriented these days towards commercial and corporate aviation. Expensive and not particularly fun any more. (Was so much more fun before the new terminals and all of those blarmy G650s and 900EXs.)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

There are lots of airports in the Bay Area, it really depends on your final destination. Pietromarx has expanded on KPAO and KSQL. KHWD is also a good option in addition to KRHV. That said, KRHV keeps you from having to tangle with the SFO class Bravo which is a real jig saw puzzle since they made the changes last year.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Very helpful comments - thanks. I am going to Sunnyvale if that helps.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

I am based at RHV. Depending on where in Sunnyvale you are going and - especially - what time, either RHV, SJC or PAO will work. We live in Cupertino (west of Sunnyvale), but it is usually comparable or faster getting to/from RHV since 101 is often a mess.

If you are used to the usual Class C procedures, SJC is not a problem. The controllers are great. Unless you are IFR, generally NorCal brings small piston aircraft arrivals from the SE over RHV into SJC to avoid the jet traffic.

Atlantic & Signature at SJC are open all hours, but will definitely be the most expensive (at SJC Signature won't even waive fees for Angel Flights!). RHV is less organized and most of the nearby businesses & terminal shut down by ~6pm. PAO is similar, but the terminal & businesses are on opposite sides of the ramp. AFAIK, both RHV and PAO have Enterprise outlets at the airport if normal business hours works with your schedule. Uber & Lyft are ubiquitous.

Chris
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

Welcome to the Bay Area, Lou!
If you will come/go in normal business hours, I would recommend RHV. Just easy and cheap.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Monitor the "marine layer", a relatively thin layer of low clouds that regularly has most of the airports IFR in the morning hours, but typically burns off somewhere between 10-12am. Being further from the ocean, KSJC and KRHV are usually a little less affected.