Diamond Aircraft Owner's Seminars/Panels/Training/Fly-ins?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Diamond Aircraft Owner's Seminars/Panels/Training/Fly-ins?

Post by Steve »

I attended the recent AOPA event in Gulf Shores, AL. It was quite well attended, and Diamond had a large presence there through one of their dealers (4 or 5 Diamond aircraft on display). There was also a college with an aviation curriculum that had a DA40 on display.
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Post by DaveS1900 »

AOPA press release today online:

2019 AOPA fly-in locations revealed
In celebration of its 80th anniversary, AOPA will host three two-day fly-ins for the 2019 season and will feature expanded exhibit hours, seminars, workshops, aircraft displays and special aerial demonstrations. The season kicks off May 10 and 11 at AOPA's Frederick Municipal Airport headquarters in Frederick, Md. The second fly-in will take place June 21 and 22 at Livermore Municipal Airport in Livermore, Calif., and the final fly-in of the season will be Sept. 13 and 14 at Tullahoma Regional Airport in Tullahoma, Tenn.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Would imagine it's nearly a sure bet that Max Trescott will be giving a presentation at the Livermore location, given he lives in the SF Bay Area. And hopefully the other event airports as well.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

While I agree Max will probably be at Livermore, where can we hope to attract a critical mass of Diamond owners, and then lure Diamond into participating? If both Max and Diamond would attend, how many will fly out to California? Or Maryland or Tennessee?

I live about 50 miles away from Livermore so I’m a little biased!

Will Diamond give us a mailing list of U.S. owners?
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Well, at least for the West Coast based Diamond owners, I have some potentially GREAT news. Which is:

today I sent Max Trescott a brief email regarding the upcoming June 21-22 AOPA Livermore Fly-in and sharing a link to this very thread. Much to my surprise, he responded shortly thereafter by writing:

"Yes, I was delighted to see AOPA chose Livermore—it’s an excellent location. Sure, I’d certainly consider speaking at a Diamond event."

More emails are being exchanged, yet any input would be most appreciated on how to proceed.

One suggestion would be to start a "Max Trescott Presentation sign-up sheet". Each AOPA location should be listed (Livermore for sure) using google documents and done much like the G1000 petition. My guess is a single volunteer for this stage of the project would be much appreciated! If so, please immediately add Russ and I to the list.

PS - I'm biased too Russ, as long ago I used to live in the Bay Area.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

A quick follow-up:

Max and I have now exchanged several emails regarding the Livermore event - as we've been discussing several options on possible dates and the precise venue. Typical of Max, he has been quite gracious and flexible with regards to this possible presentation. Please stay tuned for further details, likely shortly after the first of the year.

In the meantime, I'm still hoping someone will volunteer to develop and post a sign-up sheet (using google doc's) - for those wishing to attend Max's Livermore presentation. If interested, please send me a PM. Thanks!

PS - the Missoula, Montana presentation he gave was excellent! And not only in my opinion, as a good friend of mine (a recently retired Airline Captain) was raving about what a great talk Max gave there.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

For those who are planning on attending the AOPA June 21st-22nd regional fly-in, Max Trescott has put us in touch with the person organizing this event. By way of a reminder, Max has offered to give a presentation geared toward pilots of Diamond aircraft. Today's news is that his talk is now looking like it actually could be folded into the AOPA event itself - which would be ideal, rather than a day before or after the event.

This in turn brings up two general questions and one specific request:

1) does anyone have a topic they would like for Max to discuss specifically and one that has broad appeal for Diamond owners and pilots?

2) is there any other activity you would like to see take place, that is Diamond related, at this fly-in? All ideas are welcome.

3) to get a sense of how many of us might be attending the LVK Fly-in, please use this link

PS - re: 1 & 2 above, please submit your ideas before Tuesday the 5th and also be aware this is not a means to register with AOPA for this event. Thanks everyone - hope to see you there!
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Due to lack of interest, it appears developing any activities designed specifically for Diamond Aircraft owners will soon come to a halt - short of an immediate rash of sign-ups for this regional AOPA fly-in.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Scott - come over to the East coast fly-in!! (only kidding) I'm planning to go.
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I'm planning to do the Fredrick, MD fly-in, too, this year.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)