New G1000 NXi Audio Panel and More

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

New G1000 NXi Audio Panel and More

Post by CFIDave »

Garmin has introduced a new audio panel available for G1000 NXi aircraft, the Garmin GMA1360. This replaces the previous GMA1347 that's been around since 2004 in both legacy G1000 and previous G1000 NXi installations.

The GMA1360 includes:
- Bluetooth audio link
- 3D audio to enhance situational awareness

The new GMA1360 audio panel is now supported by Diamond on DA42NG and DA42-VI aircraft. See:
http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... 000NXi.pdf

However the new audio panel requires a brand new software release GDU Version 20.81 that ALSO requires
- a pair of GIA64W Integrated Avionics Unit (replacing the obsolete GIA63Ws)
- the GEA71B Engine/Airframe Unit (replacing the original GEA71)
According to the SB, "This software is not backward compatible with other hardware."

Garmin has yet to publish online the new G1000 NXi Cockpit Reference or Pilot's Guides for this new DA42 hardware/software combination, so I can't tell what other new features and benefits are included. However, for King Airs with this same new NXi hardware, Garmin has a service document notification:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviational ... -aircraft/
that includes the following new features:

- Audio database with human voice messages
- Plain Language TAFs
- Flight Plan Restoration (with navigation states) across power cycles
- QFE (Query Field Elevation) Altitude
- Metric Units Support
- Connext 1 Hz data logging
- MFD Split-Screen

Diamond's Service Bulletin for the DA42NG/-VI also means that with NXi, replacing out-of-production GIA63W units with newer GIA64 units would *also* require upgrading the audio panel and engine/airframe interface unit, since they're all bundled together with the newest GDU Version 20.81 software release.

Diamond/Garmin have not published similar service bulletins applicable to the DA40NG or DA62 with G1000 NXi. It's also not clear how any of this is related to the "Phase II" NXi software (supposedly in testing right now) that should provide NXi features like Visual Approaches and FlightStream 510 cards that were not included in the first Diamond NXi software releases -- and GTX345R ADS-B IN support for NXi DA62s.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: New G1000 NXi Audio Panel and More

Post by TwinStarScott »

Since this thread discusses the need for software updates, owners of these aircraft may want to sign the G1000 software petition. To do so, please click HERE A note to your entry will be made saying you're interested in obtaining the "newest GDU Version 20.81 software release".
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

ScottSutton wrote:Since this thread discusses the need for software updates, owners of these aircraft may want to sign the G1000 software petition. To do so, please click HERE A note to your entry will be made saying you're interested in obtaining the "newest GDU Version 20.81 software release".
Just to be clear, GDU Version 20.81 is available for DA42NG/-VI aircraft now, along with updated hardware that's also available right now. There's no need to sign a petition to encourage Diamond/Garmin to make this software available for any NXi aircraft, since Diamond will need this level of software to install Garmin's updated hardware in all new production aircraft.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks Dave for clarifying that portion your interesting news. Part of my reasoning for adding the link on your thread was based on a recent post* from David (VHYDZ) where he wrote "for example -VI with NXi owners to record our wish for the broader issue of Diamond updating all of its software."

Regardless of the NG / -VI situation, your post brings to the forefront once again that Diamond has two tiers of software support. Looking into the future, the question becomes when, if ever, do aircraft with tier one software / hardware support fall into the dreaded tier two category? Hopefully never, but the petition started on this very forum is a concentrated effort to motivate DAI to address this glaring disparity across their fleet. My take away from David's (VHYDZ) post is that any Diamond owner who is even the least bit concerned about lack of software support, past, present and future, might give some consideration to signing this petition. Unless the late model owners have been given some type of guarantee at purchase their aircraft will be supported indefinitely (with the latest and greatest Garmin hardware / software releases).

* from the lengthy "Garmin G1000 outdated Software - Petition Sign-Up" thread.
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

If anyone is removing/replacing GIA63W LRUs, please PM me.

Sandy
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

ScottSutton wrote:Looking into the future, the question becomes when, if ever, do aircraft with tier one software / hardware support fall into the dreaded tier two category?
I can easily imagine such situation :) e.g. DAI starts to put GIA64W units in new aircrafts and in one moment somebody decide it's not worth to support planes with GIA63W any more. That's why it's important to rise awareness of all owners to this petition in order to ensure proper addressing of software/hardware upgrades by DAI in future.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

For my perspective as 2006 DA42 TDI owner, Emir's point above cannot possibly be emphasised enough - regardless of the hardware configuration and software version your G1000 is currently running. By adding your aircraft you're not only potentially doing yourself a favor, but helping out the entire fleet. Please click HERE to join in this effort.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The petition is symptomatic of an issue I tried to raise with Diamond earlier this month. Avionics software is something that keeps a plane “Newer” as everything else ages. I haven’t even taken delivery yet, but Dave’s post makes it obvious that my brand new DA40NG will have an “old” audio panel on day one.

I support doing whatever is necessary to get Diamond to allow us to have current avionics software and hardware. That includes being willing to pay an annual subscription to Diamond to be ensured timely availability of avionics software and hardware upgrades. I don’t expect a free lunch, but I do expect Diamond to do what owners cannot do for themselves.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Well said Russ.