Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TwinStarScott »

The yet to be published, if ever, AOPA article on the OEM legacy G1000 should be viewed, at this point in time, as a temporary setback and the effort will most definitely continue!

Having returned recently from the AOPA Regional Fly-in at Livermore, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting and then spending some time with Russ (Boatguy). This was after many months of exchanging emails with him, interspersed with the occasional phone call. In between attending IFR seminars by Max Trescott and Gary Reeves, we had the opportunity to discuss at length our mutual G1000 concerns.

What has came out of our conversations is a strategy on ways to proceed. However at this stage, it is best these details be held close to the vest. Thank you for patience with this on-going battle.

In the meantime, if another owner wishes to contact Aviation Consumer or other media sources, please feel free to do so or send me with a PM to discuss further. As this isn't an avenue I have time to pursue right now, perhaps later in the year though. However, I do very much appreciate the thought, as other key owners will soon be contacted for their assistance with the next step - as once again this still very much continues to be a team effort.

Finally, please join me in thanking Russ for his great insights, enthusiasm and wiliness to continually look for creative solutions to this challenging problem.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

by ememic99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:13 am

Boatguy wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:04 am
The best way to get back to one thread is to stop posting in this one...

I can agree but then sometimes it's not easy to follow the order of questions and replies. Also, people tend to become tired of too long threads usually avoiding to read them from the beginning which leads to missing important information and repeating same questions over and over again (although the same can happen if information is spread over several threads).
Of course I'm biased here, but my personal opinion is to keep G1000 discussions focused* on this thread - for continuity and documentation purposes. Given though, there is no perfect solution to the problems Emir points out.

Yet if viewers of this thread wish to research the current status of WAAS for the G1000, there is a very good companion thread that was recently started under this subject: G1000 and GIA63W WAAS Upgrade Issue (mid-2019 update).

It's a worthwhile read, especially given how important it is to allow the entire fleet access to WAAS hardware and the added level of safety the ability to shoot LPV approaches provides. And let's not forget Garmin Aviation's current slogan for their new WAAS capable navigator boxes:

"More runways. For less."

Also, while following the above mentioned thread, it occurred to me the DAN forum could stand to have a glossary of acronyms for those new to this forum, forums in general (like me), or are new to aviation. The list is long, for both technical and non-technical terms. Here are just three quick examples, assuming these are correct:

IIRC - if I recall correctly

LPV - Localizer Performance with Vertical Guidance

OP - original poster

* at least until there is some resolution to our concerns.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Two more DAN members have signed up. Welcome to:

Scott Bruce / DA40 / IO-360 / N307AF

&

Salim / DA42 TDI / CD-135 / F-HVES

Total number of aircraft on the petition stands at 159
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Nice addition, simultaneously with announcing letter sent to DAI. We should continue to onboard more owners, especially European ones.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

In the latest episode* of the Aviation News Talk podcast, Max comments about the NXi upgrades that will become available next month for legacy G1000 Cessna & Beechcraft owners. He also mentioned the NXi upgrade can be performed using the Garmin dealership network.

I realize this recent announcement by Garmin has previously been discussed on DAN, yet some might find it interesting to hear details about this upgrade path from the man that literally wrote the book on the G1000.

Starts @ 9:07

https://aviationnewstalk.com/

Here are two approximate quotes:

1) once you go NXi, you’ll never want to go back.

2) he really likes the Visual Approach feature.

* Episode 114: Get-Thereitis Accidents
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

AvWeb news from Oshkosh 2019. Which covers the same NXi announcement for Cessna and Beechcraft, yet has some nice cockpit footage of the NXi.

Starts at 1:53

https://www.avweb.com/avionics/avionics ... 23%2C+2019

What's completely new is the announcement by Bendix King of their touchscreen AeroCruze 230 autopilot. Which is being released to replace the KAP & KFC models, but doesn’t seem to include the KAP140, only the KAP150. Probably the biggest selling feature is that the 230 can use existing servos and even includes a yaw damper option. Which leads me, and possibly others, to wonder if Garmin would ever release a software version of the NXi to play with this new A/P? Assuming the 230 would eventually also become an approved replacement for the KAP140. . . . .

Starts at 4:34

Link to Bendix King
https://www.bendixking.com/en/products/aerocruze-230
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

GFC700 equipped DA42 TDI will be eligible for CD-155 upgrade with Crosby’s STC from October 2019.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks today to fellow Washingtonian Marc Groskreutz for signing up his DA40 (N172MZ). The total number of aircraft now stands at an even 160.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

Just got to reading this thread today. You can sign me up for the petition too but I will not be holding my breath for a resolution soon. Inevitably whether in automotive software or aviation software there is just no support for older avionics to be constantly upgraded in this economy as was done in the past. When I first purchased my DA40 in 2006 I remember getting software updates at least every two years. In 2012 or so the updates stopped as Diamond we’re having trouble keeping up on sales and production.
My DA42 has synthetic vision, geo-referenced Jepp charts and a KAP140. I’m ok with the KAP140 and although not as slick as the Garmin AP it’s still as good or better than 80% of other autopilots in the GA fleet. It would continue to fly the plane if I lost all G1000 function and to me that’s a good thing. I’m lucky that my primary airports have ILS approaches and while I would like to have LPV capability I don’t think I have cancelled more than one or two trips in the last five years to an airport due to Tye difference in ceiling on the non-precision GPS approach being too high for me where the LPV would have got me in.
I hope we would get better integration with ADS-b software. Enjoyed reading some of the thread comments.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

N503TS wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:44 am Just got to reading this thread today. You can sign me up for the petition too but I will not be holding my breath for a resolution soon.
Please contact TwinstarScott to add you to the list because the table is now locked for editing.