Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TwinStarScott »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 am Diamond should unambiguously state a s/w upgrade policy, both for legacy G1000 and NXi owners. An unambiguous software upgrade policy, whatever it is, will clear the air and set everyone's expectations.

The Diamond Airmail I received today is teasing a single unified web site which sounds like they are slowly coming around to a unified message for US and European customers which is a good sign.
Such a policy from DAI would be fantastic.

Thanks for the news Russ about Diamond Airmail - as I had missed the original posting by Rick (N171PS) when he started a thread on the subject last September. And yes, this recent announcement is an encouraging first step by the company.

Here's the link I used to sign-up (others have posted different links):

http://airmail.diamondaircraft.com/Diam ... bHudmg6rBw
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

(Bit of thread drift, but very related to the software issue.)

If *I* had bought the Diamond Aircraft Industries package I would make a simple policy going forward, the formulation of which is driven by the regulatory-heavy environment which the products are sold in: Every improvement to the product would include a way to add that improvement to an older example of the fleet.

There are times this isn't going to be financially advantageous for the owner, but I would put some pressure on the engineers and manufacturing arm to find ways to keep it as reasonable as possible Every other quarter I would have CSR spin through these pathways to check the availability of the bits and pricing. Information and transparency are so easy to keep current these days and I would keep those pathways up on a webpage. If someone buys a 2001 DA40 I want them to know what they have compared to a DA40NG they could have bought from the factory and what it would cost to get it as close as possible to that machine.

When I bought my DA42 I spent a month working out the exact details of what I wanted to do to the plane. I knew I didn't want NG engines, but I wanted it really close to a new plane otherwise. I am not 100% sure of where I missed a DA42-VI and what it would cost to get that last 5%. With computers these days it should be pretty easy to figure it out.

Because of certification, the airframes remain the same. The DA40 I bought and a DA40 that someone buys now are, in a regulatory sense, the same. That should encourage DAI to provide paths for owners to keep the fleet as advanced as they can afford to keep it.

(I imagine the old management of DAI would have said that those upgrades cannibalize the sales of new planes. That's not at all what I see out in the real world. When I bought a new DA40 I was not going to buy a used one (although I used a bunch for comparison). When I bought my used DA42 I was not going to buy a new one. If I buy a DA62 I am pretty sure it will be brand new.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

(Moderators should feel free to move that to a new thread and leave a message pointing to the new thread. I got a little longer there than I intended to.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Colin wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:17 pm If *I* had bought the Diamond Aircraft Industries package I would make a simple policy going forward, the formulation of which is driven by the regulatory-heavy environment which the products are sold in: Every improvement to the product would include a way to add that improvement to an older example of the fleet.

. . . . .

(I imagine the old management of DAI would have said that those upgrades cannibalize the sales of new planes. That's not at all what I see out in the real world.)
Totally agreed Colin! As hopefully the new management of DAI now realizes the old cannibalization theory has totally backfired and has actually become a hindrance to them closing the sales gap on Cirrus.

Here's one more take on your most recent post :

While comparing the much higher sales figures of Cirrus vs. Diamond – it's impossible to completely account for the numerous variables as to why some owners are drawn to one aircraft manufacturer versus another.

Yet it's a fairly safe bet that one of the reasons for the greater success of Cirrus is they have fully supported their entire fleet and, early on, realized this superior approach to customer service would actually increase their new aircraft sales over the long haul. As Cirrus owners have always enjoyed the added confidence of ongoing GDU support.

Then isn't it only human nature for any prospective Diamond Aircraft buyer to be at least slightly concerned about the company's poor track record of G1000 support and lack of a G1000 policy*? This, coupled with the latest example being that of the multiple delays surrounding the GTX-345R / Flight Stream 510 package, makes anyone partial to the Diamond line left with a feeling of doubt and uncertainty.

So wouldn't it be great if DAI addressed this issue head on and came out with a policy later this quarter - announcing an industry first ever GDU policy!? Instead of waiting for prospective new buyers insisting on such a "policy" before purchase. Or worse yet, losing sales because of refusing to do so or for the simple lack of NOT having one in place. . . .

Expanding upon the corporate social responsibility (CSR) benefits that Colin mentioned, DAI could become the very first GA manufacturing company to publicly announce such a GDU policy for the G1000. And this would instantly give DAI a sales advantage and credibility edge over the other aircraft manufacturers offering G1000 equipped aircraft, sans Cirrus. Such a policy could only help bolster the sales of new Diamond Aircraft.

In the meantime, for those owners who have yet to join this effort, please click HERE. Thanks!

* Suggested by first Russ, and now Colin.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Collin,

Well stated. I was looking at three partnerships before I picked one. One was with one other person to buy a new DA-40. The second was with a local company thinking of getting a new DA-42. Last was with two others looking at a used Cirrus SR22.
The update issue become a no go item for me. Since if I bought new, I planned to eventually buy out my partners and keep the plane till I am too old to fly.
Instead I went with the used Cirrus, spent a lot less cash for now and will look at new airplane in five years or so when the Cirrus partnership likely comes to an end. Hopefully Diamond will have resolved the ongoing support issue by then; if not I will not consider them.

Tim
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thank you to Marcus Behles for adding his DA40 to the list. Bringing the total count to 137 aircraft. To add your DA40 or DA42, please click HERE.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Connext cockpit connectivity with added Database Concierge and wireless flight plan transferring is also available with the G1000 NXi. Using a compatible tablet or smartphone, pilots can easily upload and sync flight plans and database information using the Garmin Pilot app. Additional features include the streaming of traffic, weather, GPS information, back-up attitude information and more1, from the G1000 NXi to the Garmin Pilot, FltPlan Go or ForeFlight Mobile applications.
News this evening from Garmin: another aircraft added to the NXi list:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviat ... in+Blog%29

This subject was discussed on another thread, but is also relates to this one. As it's unclear if the flight plan transfer feature requires either a FlightStream 210 or 510. Or does a GTX-345R alone suffice? As preliminary indications are that both pieces of hardware are required.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Even better, is there any legacy G1000 Diamond aircraft out there that has been able to use the flight plan transfer feature yet? If so, exactly what type of hardware is installed in your aircraft and what is the GDU version?

PS - my understanding is, NXi equipped Diamonds are still waiting for installation approval for the GTX-345R transponder and are currently unable to have ADS-B IN from their installed avionics (and for the time being have to rely on the use of a portable ADS-B receiver, if they want to access any ADS-B IN data).
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Hi Scott -
You're correct regarding the GTX345R install - still waiting for software "update 2" to be "approved" and released. This has been going on for a looonnnnnggggg time. Originally, I was told we would have the 345 installed when our plane was delivered (Q3, 2018) when we ordered it in Sept 2017! Fortunately, the contract specified having a GTX345 installed in the purchase contract..........So far, still waiting!
As far as FlightStream "integration" goes - I don't know. I do know all the NXi "Cirrus(s)" have 345s and Flight Stream along with all the extra G1000 software features already! YET, the DAI NXi birds are still WAITING!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Just to be clear: New DA40NGs and DA42-VI aircraft with G1000 NXi can be delivered with the GTX345R and ADS-B In. It's a factory option, since new owners outside the US who don't fly where ADS-B In ground stations exist may find that the ADS-B Out-only GTX335R that comes standard with these aircraft is acceptable.

It's only us DA62 NXi owners who can't have a GTX345R (or any ADS-B In) installed due to lack of certification and software. I've been waiting more than a year and a half for it, having paid for the upgrade from GTX335R to GTX345R back when we bought the plane new. (Ironically, 2016/2017 DA62s with legacy G1000s can have the GTX345R added.)

However ALL Diamond G1000 NXi aircraft (DA40NG, DA42-VI, and DA62) currently lack Flight Stream 510 wireless SDcard with Connext, Visual Approaches, and other functionality usually included with NXi from other aircraft manufacturers. This is supposed to become available in promised "Phase 2" NXi software.
Last edited by CFIDave on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Unfortunately another proof that even the newest Diamonds are susceptible to long waiting for the upgrades with lack of consistent information from DAI.