Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TwinStarScott »

Correction. This posting by CFIDave, first appeared under the subject of "AvWebFlash today - Diamond Aircraft Plans to Double Production"
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

At some point in time, one has to look back at Diamond’s long and consistent history of customer support or lack there of. That being said, it’s pretty easy to see where Diamond has been, where it is going and what to expect regarding ongoing customer support. There are no surprises here.

Wishing and hoping is not going to get you what you want. Make a decision and move on, with, or, without Diamond.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Yes, Tommy - given what you wrote it would be tempting to throw up one's arms in disgust. By simply concluding DAI has permanently turned their backs on their "legacy" customers - as they continue to deny investing in those who invested in aircraft they produced.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your posting as it sparked an idea today.

With SUN 'n FUN and Oshkosh coming up, we could have a designated DA owner present the G1000 petition at the Diamond Booth. While having as many other fellow owners join him at a predetermined date and time – requesting the sales team deliver the petition to upper management. Even make up t-shirts with an eye-catching message - to be worn by DA owners in attendance for the entire event.

Why not give this try – are there any volunteers? One per event. . .

While situations can appear bleak, let's try to never underestimate the power of persistence. And with that in mind, I'm about to post a development that has been in the works for nearly two months.

Finally, wouldn't you please consider adding your aircraft to the petition? It only takes a few minutes.
Last edited by TwinStarScott on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Finally some good news that I've been eager to share for awhile now and just recently have been given the “green light” to post on the DAN forum. Here's the back story:

This all began after exchanging numerous emails with AOPA, initially regarding putting together a Diamond Aircraft forum at their LVK regional Fly-in*. The roots of which trace back to the Christmas Holidays when Max Trescott offered to give a presentation specific to Diamond owners.

Eventually this email exchange took an unexpected and exciting turn when the legacy G1000 saga was mentioned (only in passing) to the AOPA staff member in charge of organizing these events. He seized upon this and in short order referred me over to none other than Technical Editor Mike Collins! More emails were exchanged, that included links to the G1000 petition and the related DAN forum thread / discussion. However, due to his busy travel schedule - Mike and I were just finally able to speak directly last Thursday.

We had an enjoyable and engaging conversation that lasted nearly hour - which was very generous of him to chisel out this amount time to specifically discuss this subject. Mike joined AOPA in 1994 and has long been aware of how early adopters of G1000 technology have been neglected, even punished, for buying aircraft with these panels. So our conversation largely delved into much greater detail of the DAI situation, including specific concerns over both the legacy and NXi systems.

The rather remarkable upshot is - Mike has offered two ways AOPA will attempt to assist with this complicated and messy situation:

1) he is planning on writing an article on this very subject – beginning as soon as two weeks time from now when Mike will start to gradually and meticulously gather additional data and facts for his upcoming story. Look for a detailed article by him in AOPA magazine by year's end (I presume).

2) involve AOPA's regulatory department, as he will soon pass along his notes from our conversation to them. Mike asked for as much detail as possible. Which will include a DAI G1000 status document. This is something I'm currently working on and will send to AOPA within the next ten days or so. Before finalizing, I may ask for editorial help on this document from Forum members.

Please be advised Mike emphasized there are no guarantees of success here. Yet it is very encouraging AOPA has now become involved in this effort and that this preeminent GA association has offered their direct assistance.

Personally, I'm thrilled by this recent turn of events!

Finally, this would be a great time to have even more owners sign the petition. To join, please click HERE Thank you.

*Due to the low numbers signing up for the west coast regional fly-in, we'll have to try again in 2020.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Great news Scott!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Great work Scott! Will AOPA focus on Diamond, or take up the broader issue of the Mfg/Garmin/FAA triumvirate that must cooperate to keep our avionics up to date?

And does this suggest that perhaps this entire thread should be moved to an AOPA forum?
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks to both John and Russ for their kind words.

The biggest take away from my conversation last Thursday with Mike Collins has to do with the incredibly positive and professional approach of AOPA. As it was immediately apparent Mike took this systemic problem very seriously, as we dove into the details. For this I am most grateful. Therefore, all legacy owners, who have been following this thread, should take at least some comfort in knowing we now have a powerful ally on our side. Even though a happy outcome is far from certain.

As to your first question Russ, my understanding is the emphasis with be on the latter – which will soon be handed off to the regulatory arm of AOPA. And if they're eventually successful, this could even pay dividends for the NXi equipped aircraft in the years to come - so as to prevent history from repeating itself all over again.

However, in 2016 and according to a prominent avionics shop - “Diamond is one of the worst OEM's” at G1000 support. This long established view has not escaped the attention of Mike Collins - as this seems to be a widely held opinion to those knowledgeable about GA avionics (not just DA owners) and it will be most interesting to find out to what extent DAI is discussed in his upcoming article.

Regarding your second question, I'll defer to the wisdom of the forum moderator regarding potentially creating a brand new discussion category for this thread.

As a side note:
This Saturday, one of the AOPA Vice-Presidents, Mike Ginter, will be giving a presentation at the NW Aviation Trade Show in Pullayup, Washington. If other DA owners are also planning on attending, please send me a PM. Because if the opportunity presents itself, we could hand him a copy of the G1000 petition, while expressing our sincere appreciation to AOPA for volunteering their help and support.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Scott,

Great news. Based on previous articles where authors mentioned January skiing in July article, or talking about the difficulty of writing about Christmas in June... I know it generally takes about six months from article completion till it is published.

Tim
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks Tim. Yes, that sounds about right. However, Mike is up to his antlers right now with Nav Canada ADS-B antenna diversity battles. Plus the G1000 article might also take longer to be published due to the technical nature of the story.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -diversity
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

After a long dry spell, activity has happily picked up once again this week – with one DA40 (Stanley Salter / N203US) and three more of those hard to track down DA42's. First, welcome to Stanley! 

Next, here are a few behind the scene stories:

Whenever a domestically registered aircraft signs up, I usually run a quick search on the FAA website just to see what part of the country the aircraft is located. Simply to satisfy my own curiosity. 

The Nichol's Aviation DA42 (N461PA) search especially caught my attention because this N number was previously registered to PanAm Airways on a now decommissioned Boeing 707. Which I find rather interesting, living here in the land of Boeing. 

Also yesterday, Summit Aviation signed up two of their DA42's (N742SA & N621ZC). These additions were a long time in the making due to the hectic schedule of their owner – who runs both a Diamond centric flight school and busy charter operation. And if it weren't for the generosity of John Becker – this FBO would have slipped under my radar. Since it was John who kindly put me in touch with Summit Aviation's owner Ben Walton, as Ben bought N742SA from John – when Captain Becker was in the process of upgrading to his brand new DA62. 

And just in case you missed this recent AOPA article, below is a link to a heartwarming story about a volunteer program Summit Aviation conducts up in spectacular Big Sky country every July. Note the featured airplane in this photo shoot just happens to be TwinStar N742SA! 

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... gles-wings

The list now stands at 141, to add your aircraft, please click HERE