New Alert Tone

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

New Alert Tone

Post by rdrobson »

Just thought I would post this so others may clue in sooner than I did on what was going on.

A few weeks ago, I took two friends up for an afternoon tour of the local lakes area. Before the flight, I briefed them on the sounds the airplane makes and to not get alarmed when the various alert tones go off. Everything was fine until shortly after I retracted the gear and flaps on departure. Suddenly an alert went off that I had never heard in the airplane before and this one sounded very serious. Like something you would hear warning of an imminent nuclear attack but in this case maybe it was the G1000 telling me that a wing was about to fall off.

I quickly looked down at the panel to find out what was going wrong but there was no annunciation on the PFD. Quick glance at the engine gauges and pulling up the engine page on the MFD... Everything was exactly as it should be. Then I think, this must have come over the radio but the sound continued with neither radio showing the 'RX' indicator, they should be silent. Then the sound went away and everything continued to be fine with the aircraft. I looked at my friend next to me and he seemed to be enjoying himself. Good thing he took my briefing on the alert sounds to heart.

We continued flying for about an hour without incident, but I did look at the engine page on the MFD more often than I normally do. As we were returning to the field I once again heard the sound but this time it was very muted. I looked at my friend and he pulled out his phone that was in his pocket and it was showing an Amber alert. Then it hit me and I reached down and looked at my phone. Sure enough, an Amber alert had went off about an hour earlier and it came through my Bluetooth headset. For whatever reason, only my phone caught it on departure and my two friends didn't have their phones go off until we returned.

Anyway, next time when nothing pops up on the PFD I'll know to look at my phone and for reference, this is what I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYkNZz0b6k.

--Ron
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Re: New Alert Tone

Post by gordsh »

LOL a similar thing happened to me but this time it was my phone...for some weird reason started playing a YouTube video which had some very strange intro music/sounds. What made it even stranger was that it was my phone paired to my headset but my instructor was hearing the same sound as well in his headset making us think some thing was wrong with the engine. After checking all the G1000 alerts/warnings, etc I checked my phone and found the culprit.