Musings on traffic detection

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Musings on traffic detection

Post by Rich »

RMarkSampson wrote:I also remember a conversation between a tower and someone arriving who did not have a transponder installed - and the airport was inside a Mode-C ring. Thought that required a special permit but alas no one seemed to raise the issue...
Yep - seen that also. And cases where the aircraft was mode-C equipped and the guy shows up with it turned off. Tower pings him gently, conversation going like this:

Tower: I am not seeing your transponder
Pilot: OK, recycling (right, thinks me).
Tower: Thanks, looks normal now.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Rich wrote:
RMarkSampson wrote:I also remember a conversation between a tower and someone arriving who did not have a transponder installed - and the airport was inside a Mode-C ring. Thought that required a special permit but alas no one seemed to raise the issue...
Yep - seen that also. And cases where the aircraft was mode-C equipped and the guy shows up with it turned off. Tower pings him gently, conversation going like this:

Tower: I am not seeing your transponder
Pilot: OK, recycling (right, thinks me).
Tower: Thanks, looks normal now.
I actually had a King transponder which did not always come up. After a year or so, when I tookoff on the King, I always asked ATC to confirm they had me. If not I switched to the Garmin which was wired into the gear switch and shutdown when gear down. (I had two of basically everything in that plane so I would never be grounded, ah it was nice but expensive!)

Tim
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

I just had the Gtx-345r installed and wow there is a lot more traffic around the local airports than I thought. I’m discounting the airline targets at 35k too. Well worth the investment but it was a big hurt to the wallet.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA