What comes after a DA40?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: What comes after a DA40?

Post by Antoine »

Oops CFIDave, just saw your post. Sorry for sequence. Nice story indeed.
What canulas are you using? Pirep?
I would like to fit emergency O2 to our crew headsets to reduce workload and allow us to stay high at best glide in case of depressurization due to engine failure. It would be ideal if we could have canulas permanently attached and the O2 bottle just behind our seats.
Not having O2 ready to go means we must first dive to breathable altitudes and then switch to best glide. A big waste of glide range obviously.

When flying this high on O2 do you perform regular hypoxia checks?
I would be concerned about falling asleep before noticing that something is broken in the O2 supply.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We use the 2-person Mountain High O2D2 unit that we bought years ago for our DA40. Its little black box automatically adjusts oxygen delivery based on altitude, and only sends a "bolus" of air when you inhale, so it makes your oxygen supply last 3X longer. We have a pressure adapter that lets us plug the O2D2 unit into any of our (7!) overhead O2 outlets in the DA62, thus making use of the plane's built-in 70 cubic foot O2 tank in the nose. We have both the standard Mountain High cannulas, as well as their newer "boom cannulas" that attach to your headset and can easily be swung out of the way (just like a headset's boom mike) when not in use. (Since each O2D2 system only supports 2 cannulas, we make any passengers in the back seats use the old-fashioned cannulas that came with the plane.)

And yes, we do perform regular hypoxia checks with fingertip pulse oximeters to check O2 saturation rates (we even have 2 of these for backup because they're relatively inexpensive).

But I have an unwritten rule that I won't fly at altitudes above 12,500 feet on O2 by myself, just in case something should go wrong with the O2 system. I'd like to have someone seated next to me to wake me up if I pass out first. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Post by Star57 »

Nice posts from both Antoine and CFIDave, I have been chasing static noise and bibles on
My G900X Audio, have about 80 hours since it Immigrated to Canada from Breda Holland .
Not as exiting as Antoine’s Extra400, I’m wondering if the Extra 400 still is in Slave Lake Alberta 🤔
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Hey Frank! I believe you're talking about Dr R's plane ? Sold and moved to CA. Safe flying A
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

We have both the standard Mountain High cannula, as well as their newer "boom cannulas" that attach to your headset and can easily be swung out of the way (just like a headset's boom mike) when not in use.
Last year Precise Flight gave me one of their boom cannulas to try out, which was nice of them and at first sounded like the way to go. However, I could never get this new style of cannula to fit quite right on the ground – then was always have to futz around with it while flying. Plus my O2 rates where consistently lower than with the old school cannula. Have since gone back to this style.

So either the Mountain High design is superior or some headset / facial feature combinations are simply not ideally suited for using a “boom”.

https://www.preciseflight.com/general-a ... m-cannula/

Other than this one minor point, I've been very happy with Precise Flight's O2 products, service and support. In particular, have found their X3 demand conserver to be an especially great product, saving the hassle of pricey refills at FBO's. For example, two pilots can fly a 14 hour round trip and still return to home base with a healthy reserve - using just a standard 22 CU ft. cylinder. Although “your mileage may vary”, so a smaller reserve tank could come in handy from time to time. Such a lightweight tank (6.3 CU ft. / 6 ½ lbs) is something to consider carrying on every flight, regardless of distance.

https://www.preciseflight.com/general-a ... conserver/

https://www.preciseflight.com/general-a ... -cylinder/
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

It has always frustrated me that there was no video presenting the Extra 400 on youtube.
Finally gotten to produce one: https://youtu.be/3GMHESSNzNU.
I hope you'll enjoy!
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Awesome video Antoine! Sensational plane.
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Really nice video Antoine !
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Antoine:

Great video (and beautiful airplane)! The birds on final to RWY 32 gave me a scare, though. The European scenery is really nice. Have you considered mounting a GoPro camera or 2 externally? I just bought a new Hero 7 and the quality of the video is outstanding. I don't have any way to upload video, but here is a photo:
GOPR0005.jpg
Steve
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Very nice video Antoine! Was that you flying with the "4 gold stripes" on, or do you have a personal pilot??!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)