What comes after a DA40?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: What comes after a DA40?

Post by Erik »

krellis wrote:I went the experimental route and built an RV-7A. Also building an RV-10, which really is the replacement for the DA-40.

The -7 is a lot of fun and is a greenhouse like the DA-20 and 40.
Beauty!
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Antoine wrote:
Antoine wrote:
Erik wrote: But now with about 1000hrs of Mooney rocket time under my belt I am completely used to it and it fits like an old glove. Landings, and all phases of flight.
:D this is so true. I like to say that at some point the wings become one's own... makes me wonder what this AOA indicator business is all about...

Thank s for the pics, can we see the interiror too? :D

Why do you have VGs on your wings? First time I see them on a Mooney
OK! Here are some interior pictures. They are from 9 month ago or so before the plane was painted as you see it now. It used to be "faded" green.

So the leather includes perforated leather, and also high density foam memory foam. Also, I had the seats custom lengthened on the base, to accommodate my very long legs - I am 6'4'' and even long legged considering my height. So the original seats I used to feel sort of perched on a tiny chair (as I do in most small airplanes) but now they fit and I am more relaxed during several hours of flying. And the good lumbar is nice too for that.

Also I have the "Jaeger interiors" interior mod which is new side panels that are both cleaner, and more sleek so there is a little more interior room. Plus of course it cleans up the interior more like new because, it is.

What is not in these new pictures is there is some avionics going in to. A GTN650 is new. Also new leather covered yokes not in the picture and usually an iPad on the pilots yoke.

And last up will be I am planning on installing the GFC500 + dual G5 once those become available supposedly in 4 months as Garmin has the M20K in its next-to-certify list currently in testing. They promise "late this year". It will replace my perfectly ok, but not as good or reliable KFC200.
Attachments
20170103_090313.jpg
20170104_132810.jpg
20170104_132851.jpg
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

I always admired the M20. What is the best choice Turbo or non?
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

TJS wrote:I always admired the M20. What is the best choice Turbo or non?
Well, that is a good question! And the answer is legit argued either way.

Clearly I went turbo because I decided turbo. At the time I wanted a TKS airplane and I figured turbo was part of the TKS concept since if I ever find myself in ice, then you want power at altitude perhaps to climb out of ice asap, and to do so with authority.

Turbo climbs quickly and cruises faster at altitude. A good bit faster. I have timed a climb once in the winter to 17000 in under 13 min.

Negative though is the turbo airplane is lower compression so its less fuel efficient, and also turbo maintenance issues are more costly. So the not turbo version is still a wonderful airplane, still quite fast and less costly and less pilot work load.

I like my turbo Mooney Rocket. PS not only does it cruise faster in TAS but sometimes it makes sense to climb up high to enjoy big tail winds even for a relatively short flight since it does not take long to get there. Eg for example whenever I go to Boston, that is a flight I usually enjoy tail winds, and it takes less than an hour to get there, but I climb high for the tail winds anyway. I remember once I got 327GS... at about 15000 - that was a shorter flight to Boston than usual. Also I really like flying in the mid teens when I fly up and down the east coast since despite the high population of the east, the traffic is very low even at 14000 since it seems most piston people don't like to suck on oxygen and its too low for the jets. So its very quite even over say New Jersey or PA.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Erik,

Count me in one of the pilots who dislike O2. Hence, I went with a naturally aspirated 2003 SR22.

Tim
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

TimS wrote:Erik,

Count me in one of the pilots who dislike O2. Hence, I went with a naturally aspirated 2003 SR22.

Tim
I hear you...

But I do greatly prefer O2 then a hectic ride through traffic up and down the NE corridor.

BTW - if you have not tried it - the O2D2 plus the oxyarm is a really great way to use O2. The oxyarm attaches to your head set so there is no tugging on your nose and it doesn't even need to quite touch your nose. Check it out - very comfortable.

..turbo is fun too since it gets very fast up high. It does an easy 200+ in the mid teens and I have seen 225 running it too hard (just for fun to see) at low 20's. I mean TAS. Ground speed depends also on the wind.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

I am one of those dreaded mouth breathers. I have a "deviated septum", and dried/swollen nasal membrane. So breathing through my nose is noisy, and does not get as much air. So after a few breathes, I end up doing a couple of deep breathes through my mouth. Makes O2 much harder, and I have switched to Clarity Aloft for a headset. So there is not much for anything to attach too.

Two ENTs gave me the same answer, do this nasal washing, steroid spray, and two creams in the nasal passages for a year or two. Then we can consider surgery to correct the deviated septum. Problem is the whole routine takes almost ten minutes to do, and I am supposed to do it three times a day. ugh. I just have not been able to do it constantly. I really should....

Tim
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

TimS wrote:I am one of those dreaded mouth breathers. I have a "deviated septum", and dried/swollen nasal membrane. So breathing through my nose is noisy, and does not get as much air. So after a few breathes, I end up doing a couple of deep breathes through my mouth. Makes O2 much harder, and I have switched to Clarity Aloft for a headset. So there is not much for anything to attach too.

Two ENTs gave me the same answer, do this nasal washing, steroid spray, and two creams in the nasal passages for a year or two. Then we can consider surgery to correct the deviated septum. Problem is the whole routine takes almost ten minutes to do, and I am supposed to do it three times a day. ugh. I just have not been able to do it constantly. I really should....

Tim
..I was just looking at the latest and greatest clarity aloft to come out - like last week - and it does have a hard point on it suitable for the button for the o2d2.

I used a quiet technology for a little while, but ... I never got used to the little thingy in my ear which just continually buggered me. I love my Bose A20.

Yeah - mouth breather - well there is a mask. I have those blue masks for higher altitude use that I use occasionally. And I think the mic on them is kind of fun since you hear the breathing pulses by the O2D2 and so I think I sort of sound like Darth Vadar breathing.

One of my three sons does not like to use the nose breathers so when he comes he uses the mask whenever we are at cannula altitude. Actually he is a young buck ... sometimes when we are at say 14k he just doesn't bother using anything and surprisingly his O2 sats are still not so bad - like 90 or so without O2....I know that is not good enough for the pilot but just fine for a passenger and he is happy.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Erik wrote:
Clearly I went turbo because I decided turbo. At the time I wanted a TKS airplane and I figured turbo was part of the TKS concept since if I ever find myself in ice, then you want power at altitude perhaps to climb out of ice asap, and to do so with authority.

Turbo climbs quickly and cruises faster at altitude. A good bit faster. I have timed a climb once in the winter to 17000 in under 13 min.

Negative though is the turbo airplane is lower compression so its less fuel efficient, and also turbo maintenance issues are more costly. So the not turbo version is still a wonderful airplane, still quite fast and less costly and less pilot work load.

I like my turbo Mooney Rocket. PS not only does it cruise faster in TAS but sometimes it makes sense to climb up high to enjoy big tail winds even for a relatively short flight since it does not take long to get there. Eg for example whenever I go to Boston, that is a flight I usually enjoy tail winds, and it takes less than an hour to get there, but I climb high for the tail winds anyway. I remember once I got 327GS... at about 15000 - that was a shorter flight to Boston than usual. Also I really like flying in the mid teens when I fly up and down the east coast since despite the high population of the east, the traffic is very low even at 14000 since it seems most piston people don't like to suck on oxygen and its too low for the jets. So its very quite even over say New Jersey or PA.
:bow Fully agree. Thanks for the pics and congrats on the jaw-dropping awesome interior. Your plane is a beauty and a terrific performer...
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Tommy? Toooomy?
Guess what happens. I met 2 new friends and we are flying around in an Aerostar 700P. I even got to hand fly it for a bit. Wow. This is serious turbine performance.
We climbed out of Geneva at 165 KIAS and 1'500 fpm!
The aircraft is incredibly complex, but it is truly a wonderful flyer! Love it.