What comes after a DA40?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: What comes after a DA40?

Post by Antoine »

Cary your fuel burn is the same as my Extra's in the climb!
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Antoine,

I had technically an Aerostar 602P with the SuperStar Machen upgrade (often called the U2A engines, considered the best/strongest, and also the most expensive). This is one of the 350HP aftermarket upgrades, you can tell the aftermarket from the Piper factory option by the location of the intercooler. The aftermarket has it under the engine, the factory had it behind and above the engine. The selection was determined from what I can tell based on the turbo selection. The aftermarket version runs cooler and a few knots faster, the factory version is generally easier to work on for oil changes and other minor items. Note there was only 25 official 700s built.

Almost everyone calls any P variant with the 350HP engines a 700 because there are about six different engine upgrade paths to the larger engines. The 702 is a marketing version from AAC, which includes a lot of additional upgrades/modifications such as pressurization increases, gross weight increases... I had them all except the KFC-225 digital autopilot, mostly because people said the analog KFC-200 I had was better.

Tim
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

TimS wrote:Antoine,

I had technically an Aerostar 602P with the SuperStar Machen upgrade (often called the U2A engines, considered the best/strongest, and also the most expensive). This is one of the 350HP aftermarket upgrades, you can tell the aftermarket from the Piper factory option by the location of the intercooler. The aftermarket has it under the engine, the factory had it behind and above the engine. The selection was determined from what I can tell based on the turbo selection. The aftermarket version runs cooler and a few knots faster, the factory version is generally easier to work on for oil changes and other minor items. Note there was only 25 official 700s built.

Almost everyone calls any P variant with the 350HP engines a 700 because there are about six different engine upgrade paths to the larger engines. The 702 is a marketing version from AAC, which includes a lot of additional upgrades/modifications such as pressurization increases, gross weight increases... I had them all except the KFC-225 digital autopilot, mostly because people said the analog KFC-200 I had was better.

Tim
Thanks Tim. These are indeed fascinating aircraft and as we removed the cowling on the TWO engines today I could see how tightly adjusted it was . No wonder they cost a fortune to maintain, these aircraft are made for speed and it shows.

My friend's is really a late model factory 700P and he did explain to me all of the above.
Honestly - I would not dare. It makes my Extra 400 venture look like a walk in the park!
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by TimS »

Antoine,

Likely the Extra 400 is cheaper, especially being experimental.
If your friend is willing, he should spend the time to make sure the engines are setup for LOP. Because he can then run at roughly 45% in the mid 20s around 200 KTAS for roughly 12 GPH per engine. With the aux tank, I could "overfill" the main tank for a whopping 225 gallons total.

Tim
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

TimS wrote:Antoine,

Likely the Extra 400 is cheaper, especially being experimental.
If your friend is willing, he should spend the time to make sure the engines are setup for LOP. Because he can then run at roughly 45% in the mid 20s around 200 KTAS for roughly 12 GPH per engine. With the aux tank, I could "overfill" the main tank for a whopping 225 gallons total.

Tim

Is the Extra 400 experimental? Or has someone registered one as experimental?

Speaking of experimentals, we've been flying an Epic LT for the past year or so. It's a great plane that can really move 6 people around with a big spacious cabin (1' taller, 10" wider than a TBM). It has its quirks, but we have mission flexibility that fits with it pretty well so far.

We still use the DA42 quite a bit--in a way, they're two complimentary stable mates. One for shorter hauls/less passenger; the Epic for more pax and/or longer hauls.

Pictures for fun:

jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Your Epic looks great!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by TimS »

I always liked the look of the Epic.
The Extra 400 was supposed to be certified. However, the program was never finished (not even sure it was started), so they initially sold it as an experimental.

Tim
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Hi John / Tim.
> John thanks for posting. I'd love to hear more about the Epic. I find it fascinating. I think it is to the TBM what the Extra 400 is to the Malibu/Mirage. Especially interested in performance, payload and the "quirks list".
> Tim: the Extra 400 is certified (both FAA and EASA) and also FIKI.
You must be talking about the Extra 500 which only obtained EASA certification and no FIKI. The 500 is the turbine version of the 400. My 400 has a piston engine.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

And talking about performance, yesterday my new friend George picked me up again in his Aerostar 700 P. Wow. this is really an incredible aircraft. ATC handle it like a jet... We were flying an arrival and Düsseldorf ATC asked us to slow down to 190 (indicated). Then on the approach he asked us to keep 180 and then to keep speed up for as long as possible. George kept it clean until less than one mile out and then in a few seconds airbrakes, flaps gear and touchdown. The brakes (upgraded) are monstrous too, so this thing stops in no time. I wish my Extra could get such brakes...
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by TimS »

Antonie,

You are correct. I was thinking of the 500.
I have shot approaches in the Aerostar at 180 KIAS to the final approach marker inline to commercial jets. The plane is just awesome, and ATC has loved the flexibility to slip me in. I miss it.... just not the bills. :D

Tim