Any DA-42 misfuelings?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Re: Any DA-42 misfuelings?

Post by neema »

Very obvious. Wouldn't be possible if you were partially filling a low tank though. We usually top mains since the plane has good useful load for 4 normal pax--MZFW is typically the limiting factor anyways. Makes it easy to peep in the tanks to see what went in.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Had the opposite experience at our home airport KJYO: The fuelers were so used to putting JetA into a flight school's DA42 TDI tied down on the ramp, that they ALSO accidentally put JetA into the flight school's white Grumman Cougar twin parked right next to the white DA42! Fortunately the multi-engine student and instructor about to fly the Cougar did a thorough pre-flight inspection and detected the smell and color (or lack thereof) of JetA in the tanks.

I won't EVER let anyone fuel my DA62 (or previous DA42) without me being there to watch.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

It's been a long time since I have been on this board, or even responded to a message. But, I will re-emphasize just what Dave wrote. In my 9+ years of owning a DA42, I have had several FBOs try to put 100LL into my DA42 even thought there are placards all over the tanks that say JetA only. I never let anyone fuel the plane without me being present. There is just no excuse for allowing that mistake to be made. Take the extra minute or two to make sure the correct fuel truck is putting JetA into your plane. I have seen more than one DA42 engine ruined after having had 100LL put into the tank. It is just not worth taking that risk. I do admit that now I fly a Bonanza and have let FBOs fill the plane when I am not around. But again, I NEVER let anyone fuel my DA42 without me being present.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

The article attached below is about the guy who was my DPE, back when I did my private pilot check ride down in Tampa.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsboro ... ntsb-says/
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

AndrewM wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:20 pm The article attached below is about the guy who was my DPE, back when I did my private pilot check ride down in Tampa.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsboro ... ntsb-says/
This happened just 25 miles from us. We still can't believe how it happened. It makes me think that I should watch the fuel being put into my Bonanza as well. These mistakes are so sad.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

What happens when a diesel DA42 engine is fed avgas? Does it just stop or does it still run enough to give you enough power to land at the nearest airport? My only experience with this is my wife once fueled our diesel Sprinter RV with 87 octane gasoline. It set a check engine light but ran enough to get back to the gas station where we drained it all.

Unrelated but the PT-6 can run on avgas. I'd need to look at the POH but if I remember correctly, I can run 200 gallons of avgas through it in between overhauls with no issue.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:58 pm My only experience with this is my wife once fueled our diesel Sprinter RV with 87 octane gasoline.
Same here (VW Passat) - she drove few hundred meters and it just stopped. Luckily no engine damage but according to mechanics it could be totally trashed.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:58 pm What happens when a diesel DA42 engine is fed avgas? Does it just stop or does it still run enough to give you enough power to land at the nearest airport? My only experience with this is my wife once fueled our diesel Sprinter RV with 87 octane gasoline. It set a check engine light but ran enough to get back to the gas station where we drained it all.

Unrelated but the PT-6 can run on avgas. I'd need to look at the POH but if I remember correctly, I can run 200 gallons of avgas through it in between overhauls with no issue.
The two DA42 engines I know of were trashed by the 100LL
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

Is there any acceptable amount of avgas mixed into Jet fuel? What happens? Or What could happen? Most of the comments I could find are about getting Jet-A fuel in AvGas vs the other way around.

The reason is the other day on a rental (Austro Engine), the sump of Jet-A had a hint of blue -- it was very very faint if so or was just some weird light from the surroundings... I had watched the fuel truck fuel it up Jet-A too.

Engine ran fine, no issues. I did watch the guages very closely --- I did not see any over heating or anything unusual.

I wondered if anyone else has had similar experience?
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

carym wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:09 am The two DA42 engines I know of were trashed by the 100LL
What happened? Did they get trashed on the ground on startup?