Winter flying traction

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Winter flying traction

Post by mdieter »

We have had more than our share of snow and ice this year at KROC. I have to pull the DA40 out of the hangar by hand which can be quite tricky in these conditions. Snow covered footwear slips dangerously on the smooth concrete of the hangar floor, and the snow/ice covered ramp is impossible to get any traction to pull the plane around.

I found Spare Spikes https://www.the-perfect-present.com/Spi ... leats.html (available at many stores online) :thumbsup: . They slip on quickly over your shoes and provide great traction. On the concrete, the soft rubber grips the floor. On the ice, the spikes dig in. I put everything I had into pulling the plane out Monday (my back still hurts) thru the snow, but the spikes held! When you're ready to fly they pop off in seconds. I keep a pair in the hangar all the time now. Just don't step on the wing with these baby's on :shock: !
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Re: Winter flying traction

Post by mdieter »

Forgot the picture
Attachments
spare-spike-bottom-75.jpg
spare-spike-bottom-75.jpg (1.27 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: Winter flying traction

Post by carym »

mdieter wrote:We have had more than our share of snow and ice this year at KROC. I have to pull the DA40 out of the hangar by hand which can be quite tricky in these conditions. Snow covered footwear slips dangerously on the smooth concrete of the hangar floor, and the snow/ice covered ramp is impossible to get any traction to pull the plane around.

I found Spare Spikes https://www.the-perfect-present.com/Spi ... leats.html (available at many stores online) :thumbsup: . They slip on quickly over your shoes and provide great traction. On the concrete, the soft rubber grips the floor. On the ice, the spikes dig in. I put everything I had into pulling the plane out Monday (my back still hurts) thru the snow, but the spikes held! When you're ready to fly they pop off in seconds. I keep a pair in the hangar all the time now. Just don't step on the wing with these baby's on :shock: !
Mark,
These look great. I just want to know where were you with this information when I lived in Minneapolis :)

Cary
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com