4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Operating Austro Engines on Biofuels

Post by dgger »

I am curious: has anyone ever operated Austro engines on any type of biofuel? I did a bit of research and, at least in Europe, it would appear that Biodiesel operation is out - even on diesel compatible aircraft. That leaves Jet-A fuels e.g. such as HEFA, ATJ, or TF-based ones or blends thereof. Is there any availability anywhere in the world for GA? And if yes, is there any difference operating on biofuels compared to fossil fuels?
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Re: Operating Austro Engines on Biofuels

Post by neema »

For those of us in the US, I don't think we can use diesel, and therefore consider biodiesel,

I've always wanted to create an STC for diesel use in the US, but I know it wouldn't get much traction. Maybe someone with a farming truck that has a 50 or 80 gallon tank could put ag diesel in, but not sure it's worth it compared to full service and relatively cheap FBO fueling options.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

There's a special version of Austro engine software (Version 18D) that has to be installed to run on diesel fuel instead of JetA (Version 23 now). It would take only about 5 minutes to install/re-install software once you've connected up the Austro Wizard and GPU to do this.

But my concern would be the quality or different characteristics of the biodiesel fuel, such as the Cetane rating, gel point at higher altitudes where it gets colder, potential debris for clogging fuel injectors, etc.

Bottom line: I personally wouldn't try it.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Dave,

I am not sure if you need special engine software version. Maybe in older models?

Last year when visiting Austro factory, one of the technical directors said the new engines for DA40NG (AE300) are all good to go with diesel, just observe the cold operations by using suitable winter grade (so called "winter diesel"). No software needed.

By looking at Austro manual, it talks about these grades. It mentions MSB-E4-014. And that mentions spesific range of engine serials. Did I read it correctly, that not all engines need the MSB?

Maybe we should ask Austro about bio diesels? Getting the engines ready for more ecological fuel could be nice PR. Not sure where one can get those thou :)
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Here's what it says in the EASA Type Certificate for Austro engines:

The E4 and E4P engine is approved for the operation with Jet fuels (see Operation Manual E4.01.01 and E4.01.02) and the E4 model for Diesel fuel according to EN 590. However, the cloud point (CFPP) of Diesel fuel is regulated by national appendices to the EN 590 Standard, and it varies between the countries and the time of the year. Means have to be provided which enables the observation of the fuel temperature limits during operation (e.g. fuel temperature sensor in tank refer to Installation Manual E4.02.01).

For EN 590 Diesel fuel operation of the E4 model SB-E4-014 must be accomplished for defined engine S/N therein.
E4-A-00001 to E4-A-00099
E4-B-00001 to E4-B-00379
E4-C-00001 to E4-C-00020
(This MSB introduces a new fuel return line design which is required to be installed for operating the engine with Diesel fuel.)

Here are the OPTIONAL software versions for running diesel fuel in the latest Austro service bulletin MSB-E4-003/24.
(Note these only apply to the DA40 and DA42 engines, not the DA62):

Model
Engine S/N
Software Version
Hardware Version

E4-A (for DA40NG)
E4-A-00001 and subsequent
VC33_1_05_18_D (E4A-92-300-000-020)
E4A-92-100-000- 02()* and later

E4-B (for DA42NG)
E4-B-00001 and subsequent
VC33_0_05_18_D (E4B-92-300-000-020)

E4-C (for DA42-VI)
E4-C-00001 and subsequent
VC33_2_05_18_D (E4C-92-300-000-020)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

From what I've read, the limitations are based on OATs for start up and takeoff with diesel operation. Anyone know why that's the case?

I suppose I understand a start up temp limit based on OAT (which should be similar to tank temps). But if you let the fuel warm up, I'm not sure what the issue would be with any grade of diesel (barring the issues with un-heated aux tank fuel).

After an hour of flight at 16,500' at -13ºC, I saw fuel temps around 15-18º. Very far from freezing.

dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

I feel Diesel Operation makes for a decent plan B, but there are just too many limitations (no AUX tank use, temperature limits, negative impact on performance) to make it worthwhile in real life.

That is why I was hoping for a drop-in replacement that would be certified as Jet-A1 such as this one: https://www.neste.com/companies/product ... ble-diesel

Apparently, there are a number of producers out there offering different kind of Biojetfuel produced through a number of different processes. Honeywell UOP is another one and so is Eni. Only, it would appear that the fuels produced go exclusively into the commercial aviation market. I had asked around in a generally well informed German forum about availability for GA in Europe, but not a single person came back with a sighting. Looks like it is still a bit early.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pehu »

There was a Finnish article (Neste is a Finnish company) about biodiesels not long ago. It discussed the availability also, which is not that good. But more airliners are using / moving into bio fuels, Neste is ramping production facilities etc.

So yes, I don't think GA market "jet pumps" will see bio fuels soon. But who knows. If there is demand, maybe the local fuel merchants could do something about it?

Although one thing the article mentioned is the 3-4x price tag as well. Not sure is anyone is willing to triple their fuel costs...
It will get cheaper in time when the availability is also fixed. And they are using it today by mixing it by small amounts into conventional kerosene.

Edit: here is the actual article, run it through google translate :)
https://www.hs.fi/talous/art-2000006270254.html
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

Pehu wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:00 amEdit: here is the actual article, run it through google translate :)
https://www.hs.fi/talous/art-2000006270254.html
Thanks for the article. Unfortunately, Google would not translate it for me for some odd reason. I got to find a different computer later. Maybe, that would help.

Yes, the issue of limited feedstock clearly needs to be sorted out, but every now and then I see new approaches, so who knows. Availability might go away as an issue.

Local demand for Biofuels, in my case, is more of an issue. Given the fuel efficient aircrafts we are all flying, Diamond flyers just do not create enough of a demand at the local pump.

I agree, we will likely see it phased in as part of blends. Norway will be first to start mandating that in a few days I read. Touch wood!
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pehu »

Argh, it seems the site blocks translate. Here is a quick transcript/translate:

The Finnish energy company Neste is planning a significant role for its renewable aviation fuel. Sami Jauhiainen, Executive Vice President, Development of the Renewable Aviation Fuels Business at Neste, says that in the long term, it could become as important a product for the company as renewable diesel.

"It is possible that one day the importance of aviation fuel to the company will grow even bigger than renewable diesel."

The plan is bold and ambitious, as renewable diesel has become a real gold mine for Neste. On the other hand, quite a few people, fifteen years ago, could not believe what kind of money shampoo renewable diesel would bring to a Finnish energy company.

Renewable diesel generated operating profit of EUR 623 million in the first half of this year. The majority of the company's profits were thus generated from renewable fuels, with a comparable operating profit of EUR 746 million.

NESTEEN's renewable aviation fuel has taken a leap forward this year, as it announced in June that it has begun delivering it to Air BP in Sweden, which will deliver it to five airports operated by Swedavia, such as Stockholm Airport in Arlanda.

In early October, Neste announced that Lufthansa, a German airline, is using Neste's renewable fuel on flights departing from Frankfurt.

“This is why the Porvoo refinery has started the continuous production of renewable aviation fuel,” Jauhiainen says.

The company has increased its production of renewable aviation fuel to 100,000 tonnes per year. Neste manufactures it both in Europe and in the United States with its partners.

By 2022, a new production line will be completed in Singapore, which roughly increases the company's aviation fuel production to over one million tonnes a year.

The general justification for the production of renewable fuel is that it aims to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions of aviation in order to curb global warming.

"Using liquid renewable aviation fuel in a life cycle analysis reduces carbon dioxide emissions by up to 80% compared to using petroleum kerosene, a commonly used fuel," Jauhiainen compares.

"Neste produces its aviation fuel entirely from residues and waste, so palm oil, for example, is not used as a raw material."

However, manufacturing costs are high and Neste's renewable aviation fuel is three times as expensive as kerosene. The problem, for a long time, has been that airlines do not want to buy an expensive product. Now, though, at least Lufthansa has started using it regularly.

Professor Peter Lund of Aalto University, who is familiar with new energy technologies, says that high prices are one of the obstacles to the use of renewable aviation fuels.

“Biofuels suitable for aviation are produced by many other companies besides Neste, including in the United States. The advantage of the liquid is probably a more economical and efficient production process. The characteristics of the fuel can also be tailored more precisely. ”

Lund says there are technical challenges to using biofuel in aircraft. Even liquid liquid aviation fuel can be classified as biofuel when it is made from, for example, waste grease or fish waste.

“Biofuels have already been used in testing for long flights, most often blended with kerosene. So technically it's quite possible. ”

"The challenge for biofuels in air transport is that they have lower technical properties than kerosene, including the power-to-weight ratio," Lund compares.

"In addition, biofuels are less stable, especially in the cold."

Up to 50 per cent of the liquid aviation fuel can be added to kerosene, Jauhiainen says.

If fossil fuel kerosene for aviation is to be replaced in aviation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, biofuels are a strong alternative because other alternatives, such as hydrogen and electricity, are clearly more difficult, Lund says.

It is for this reason that Jauhiainen estimates that renewable aviation fuel will provide Neste with great potential in the future. It is difficult to replace kerosene with non-biofuels when it comes to reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

On the other hand, in road transport, for example, electricity can more readily replace petrol and diesel as fuel for petroleum refining. Neste would thus have room for the jet fuel market, even if demand for diesel and gasoline in the road transport sector would decline.

LUND believes that Neste would certainly be well placed to sell renewable aviation fuel if such a market arises, that is, if airlines start buying this expensive product on a large scale.

Neste is already investing in renewable aviation fuel, even though buyers are still being sought.

“We build the market, we start with small quantities. We are now in the investment phase and profitability will increase in the coming years, ”Jauhiainen says.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155