5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Finally the Launch??

Post by TimS »

I miss the Aerostar (but not the bills).
In terms of engine out, the Aerostar props are so close to the fuselage it really is much more benign than any other twin I have flown (not that many). e.g. the Seminole I received my MEL in, or the DA-42 (demo flights), even the Tecnam twin (flight school for fun), and much easier the the big Cessna twins (friends plane) or Beech Baron (friends plane).

Tim
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Awe, come on Tim. Bills are fun. They let you know you’re alive.
Spend it now because the gov is going to be coming after EVERYONE to pay for all of this Covid spending.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by TimS »

Tommy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:55 pm Awe, come on Tim. Bills are fun. They let you know you’re alive.
Spend it now because the gov is going to be coming after EVERYONE to pay for all of this Covid spending.
My wife and I have an email address all as one word. our bills never end.

But, I am flying an SR22 for my current missions at less than 1/4 the operating costs per mile, let alone lower capex (G1 Avidyne model).
My wife and I decided; we are better off spending less, saving more and retiring earlier :)

Tim
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

I understand Tim...believe me, I understand...
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Tommy ! Nice to have you back on the radar. Can we p p p please have some photos of your “Big” Aerostar? Maybe on the “other” thread?
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by TimS »

Pehu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 am EASA certification is done:

https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/abou ... ification/
Wow that was fast. Based on the press stuff, I did not expect it this quickly. They were much further along than they let on.

Tim
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

But another year for FAA certification? The website says "end of 2021" and neither Diamond or the FAA are known for finishing early.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you get Diamond's email newsletter, there's a link to a nicely-done new 4K video of a flight in a DA50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQjAN8QirI

A couple of observations from the video, comparing the DA50 to the DA62 with which it shares the cabin, most of the fuselage/tail, and most of the wings:

1. There's a limit on dropping the gear (Vle) that appears to be 162 KIAS, which contrasts with the DA62 that lets you drop the gear at any speed up to redline. So you can still deploy the gear as speed brakes on the DA50, but you may need to slow a bit first. Since the DA50 and DA62 share the same main gear design, I'm guessing the DA50 gear extension speed limit is imposed by its different/smaller nose landing gear and doors.

2. The rudder trim indicator in the DA50 has been moved to the G1000 MFD, but I've yet to determine where the rudder trim control is located. In contrast, the DA62 has a big knob and mechanical indicator on the center console (where the DA50 has environmental controls).

3. Just like in a Bonanza, you have to open cowl flaps on the DA50 to help keep the big 6-cylinder engine cool during takeoff and climbs. There's a new set of pushbuttons and indicators next to the power lever to control the cowl flaps. (Austro engines have never needed cowl flaps.)

4. Landing speed (e.g. Vref) appears to be around 80 knots on the DA50 as opposed to around 90 knots on the DA62. This is due to the DA50's lighter weight and more sophisticated slotted fowler flaps that generate more lift when deployed -- needed to meet the stall certification limit for single-engine aircraft of 61 knots when in a dirty landing configuration. Twins like the DA62 don't need to meet this stall speed certification limit.

5. At 12,000 feet on the video, maximum continuous power (MCP) of the DA50 -- 90% power -- provides around 180 knots burning about 14.7 gph, and at the recommended 75% cruise power the plane will cruise at around 170 knots burning 12.6 gph. At the same 12,000 foot altitude, the DA62 will better both of these by more than 5 knots, but burning 18 gph (at MCP of 95%) and 14.7 gph (at 75%). So at lower altitudes where O2 isn't required, the DA50 nearly matches the speed of the DA62. However the DA62 is likely to be at least 10 knots faster when flying in the mid-teens or above (where O2 is needed) because the Austro turbo-diesels have a higher critical altitude than the DA50's Continental turbo-diesel.

6. With factory electric air conditioning on the DA50, the 2nd alternator that powers the AC can be used for backup in case the primary alternator fails. In contrast, the alternator that powers air conditioning on the DA62 is isolated from the plane's main electrical busses and can't be used for backup. (Of course the DA62 with 2 engines already has 2 other load-balancing alternators that can back each other up in case one fails.)

7. The DA50 appears to use the same unusual fuel system of the DA40NG that normally draws all fuel from the left tank -- and sends unused fuel through heat exchange tubing inside the right tank to cool it off before depositing it all back into the left tank. So there's a rotary knob (instead of the DA40NG's white rocker switch) located on the left side of the instrument panel needed by the pilot to routinely transfer fuel from the right AUX tank to the left MAIN tank as the left tank fuel is used -- and to keep the plane balanced. And like the DA40NG, it's possible to directly feed the engine from the right AUX tank in case of emergency using a red selector located on the center console.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I enjoyed that video also and it raised a few questions.

1) I noticed there were vortex generators on the wings in the area of the ailerons. That's the first time I've ever seen those on a Diamond. Safe to assume those are on the production plane?

2) What's the history of the CD-300?

3) There is a switch labeled "Pitot static". Is that the Pitot heater or the alternate pitot static selector?

4) Remind me what this plane will cost vs a DA42-VI?