5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: First flight of the retractable DA50

Post by TimS »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 pm I’m not sure about HP - on web page it says 296 HP, graph in PDF (2nd page) starts at that value but 1st page says 271 HP. I’m also a bit confused. Also, the graph shows more power than normally aspirated Lycoming engine. If max load is available continuously, I would expect 200 KTAS at FL160 possible.
CMI has multiple variations and turbos in the pipeline. From memory the HP varied between 260HP and 350HP; and the critical altitude went from sea level to the flight levels. This is all under the umbrella of the CD-300.

Therefore, there really is no way to know what variation Diamond has in the prototype.

Tim
Oxymoron
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ric
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: GCOOL
Airports:

Post by Oxymoron »

I was lucky to get a brief tour of the experimental aircraft hangar at LOAN and had a quick close up look at the DA50 retractable. The wing has a fatter chord than any other Diamond aircraft I have seen, so would expect it to be able to hold a lot of fuel.

It is also surprisingly big when close up - I would guess a bit larger than a Cirrus. Very nicely finished too.

Diamond seem to be thriving at the moment - I was in the hangar to look at the prototype DA62MPP with camera hatch, but also they have two Darts flying now, and already have some very strong interest from a lot of air forces to replace ageing PC6s, Tucanos etc as intermediate trainers, and from some African air forces for COIN. The odd hybrid electric aircraft was also being worked on still.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Here is a video of the DA50 Prototype flying and demonstrating retractable gear operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ_h5gNHAW0
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

New walk around video with Diamond's 6 foot 7 inches tall chief pilot! --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVn6_AphLN8
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Bavarian911
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephan
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: 888WZ
Airports: KLWM

Post by Bavarian911 »

OMG, such a nice airplane but such poor marketing. I like the size of the cabin, but it’s a relatively heavy and slow plane without CAPS or autoland. Wife said “no”
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

PRICING?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Assume a base price of around $850K, and then options priced essentially the same as what they would cost on the DA42-VI or DA62 -- since the systems are pretty much the same.

So a well-equipped DA50 with air conditioning, TKS de-ice, built-in O2, SVT, etc. would be about the same price as a well-equipped DA42-VI or Cirrus SR22T: somewhere around $1M. Although I've seen SR22Ts for $1.1M :shock:
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

It looks like about 10-12kts slower than a DA62, 30kts slower than an SR22T and 30kts faster than a DA40NG. Won't fit in a 40' hangar.

What happens if Cirrus sticks that engine on the front of an SR?

What is Diamond quoting for availability?
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Bavarian911 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 pm OMG, such a nice airplane but such poor marketing. I like the size of the cabin, but it’s a relatively heavy and slow plane without CAPS or autoland. Wife said “no”
The way Diamond operates seems to indicate a complete lack of, or disregard... for Voice of Customer research, and then incorporating those factors into the design and eventual product. DA50 "looks" great, but it will never take any meaningful market share from Cirrus because it does not have a chute. As I have said before, in my view DA40 owners looking to upgrade will look at DA4/62, and of course the DA50 and some will most certainly run with those upgrade options. But a number will also move from Diamond to Cirrus and other brands. I cannot see many SRXX owners converting from Cirrus to a DA50. But I can see Cirrus SRXX owners moving into a DA62.

Diamond have blown a great opportunity with the DA50, what a shame.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:31 amWhat happens if Cirrus sticks that engine on the front of an SR?

What is Diamond quoting for availability?
1. I imagine that if Cirrus installed the CD-300 engine in an SR22, they'd have a slower but more fuel-efficient SR22. Since the CD-300 has a critical altitude of only around 8000 feet and a max continuous power of only 270 hp, the 310 hp turbocharged TIO-550 of the Cirrus SR22T gives it a substantial power and speed advantage, particularly at higher altitudes. The big advantage if Cirrus were to use a CD-300 is worldwide JetA fuel availability.

2. Diamond can't quote availability yet in North America because the plane still has to first be certified by EASA, and then by the FAA for N-registered use in the US and other countries. But I would estimate first US availability near the end of 2021 or early 2022. European deliveries will occur sooner.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI